Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

why are mechanics such *******???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
And that sentiment pretty much sums up the reason that I parked my toolboxes in my garage, and went to work for the Phone Company 25 years ago.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
Why? Why you ask? Because technicians are tired of getting the Oscar Meyer from the manufacturers while doing warranty work. Doing things for free like using the manufacturers service information to find schematics, wire diagrams so he can fix the pile in his stall. Also the tech is told by a rep that you "don't get paid for thinking", or getting parts from the parts department or to fill out all of your paperwork, test drive the pile after the repair, all of this is part of the techs job to fix said pile in his stall....one which he did not design or build and would not own, but the above is not considered "work". Your hands physically touching the vehicle is considered "work", funny why do people ask me if I am at "work" then?

Then your dealer does there best to slip Mr. Meyer your way, while the General is sneaking around your flanks. Warranty repairs seem to be going up, rising costs, cheaper materials...etc, warranty repair times are going down. The big two are in the dumper so it's easier to cut the techs times to save money than to fight the Union.....we can't do anything about it besides find a new job....and they'll have some zombie they have brainwashed into the $100,000 a year hipe to replace us. So in the shop we get along, it is real competitive, you hurry to get the next job so maybe you can make 40 hours this week. There is favoritism, buddy system that goes on, feed this tech and let this other tech be Mr. Warranty, which is most everyone who is not on the buddy system or related to someone important.

Why are techs _____________ you ask? Probably cause their tired of getting the bi-product out of the south bound end of a north bound heffer. This was not directed at you fellas, just the best way I can explain it.

oh yeah, I'm going back to heavy equipment!!

The reason I got out of it in 98 after being a ASE master in every area but body and was in the top 3 techs in our zone for Chrysler for the last 5 years I was in the shop...... is covered fully in the post above...... and it was this bad in 98 and it's only gotten worse. All the auto makers really want is a bunch of mindless zombies to throw parts at a problem until it's fixed and yes I tried three dealerships and they were all the same. I guess thats also why I'm gonna lay in the driveway for the next few hours and change oil in my vehicles today.... ;-)

Last edited by Unit44; 09-23-2006 at 09:10 AM. Reason: New
Old 09-23-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check out this massive mechanic fraud
http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx
Old 09-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Chapter President

I could not here it, but by the title of the story I already know where they are going with it......and I see it everyday. We have a couple guys in the shop like that, initially they are called our "gravy grabbers" and other more harsh things associated with backside smooching. They upsell stuff that don't need to be replaced, repairs that are very easy and pay good and don't actually get done. They explain it to the customer, because they are the "expert" and the customer is more or less helpless in this area, especially our clientel. I don't think it is right at all, but these guys are the ones turning the most hours in a week, therefore making the company much more money than honest me.....so saying something to the Service Manager would be like talking to the wall in front of me. They don't say it's ok, but they don't correct it either. Like I have said in another forum where technicians gather.....this business is a joke. If your honest you get the shaft, if your a no good thieven hack you are worshipped??? And dealerships wonder why people don't trust them?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:31 AM

Thats basically why I do most work myself on my truck. OR if I need something done that I cannot do then I farm it out to different friends who specialize in a certains fields (ie differentials, front ends etc).

I am pretty **** about stuff anymore. I dont even take my truck to get tires mounted on the truck. I take the wheels and tires and have them balance the tires to the wheels and I do my own install.
I am afraid someone will want to take my truck for a "joy ride" while I am waiting.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
Check out this massive mechanic fraud
http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx

It's not just mechanics, pick ANY profession and it won't take long to find folks scamming the public out of their hard earned $$$.

This thread has run its course.