Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

webasto blueheat

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think the generator would use alot more fuel than the heaters would. An engine is far less efficient near low loads (like the measly 700W block heater) so it too would run cold, varnish up etc. And trying to start the generator at -30 would be fun.. If you could use all the WASTED heat from the engine of the generator to heat the engine too, then you would have something.

I know alot of guys with those heaters and they run alot without taking much juice from the batteries.

And I think Gieco266 missed the point of these heaters. They don't just take the chill out of the water.. The temperature of the engine is near running conditions when you get in. So you turn on the key and its at 140°F and ready to fire. No warm up required. A block heater can't do that.

For me it seems more like a logical purchase, I could use the heat when I am on site working instead of running the truck for a 1/2 hour trying to get enough heat to eat lunch and not shiver. Also its a good safety tool as if you get snowed in, you don't have to run your truck to get full heat. With our batteries, we could run them and the heater motor a few times before needing to run the engine to charge.

Comparing the diesel heaters to the block heaters is not apples and apples..
Old 12-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Comparing the diesel heaters to the block heaters is not apples and apples..
And we all know that cooking apples on the George Foreman Grill....

Besides apples do not do well in the cold.

I think I better go back out in the shop and do some more glue.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on my second season with my Espar and it would be one of the first things I'd add to any future diesel truck. It's great when its -8 deg. F to step into a pre warmed cab with the windows defrosted at home or at work. Turn the key and the engine starts and runs easily like it's 60 deg. outside. I'm running it twice a day now with the temps below freezing. There is not any alternative that is as flexible and convenient unless you can park in a heated garage everywhere you go.

I've had a few times it wouldn't start and I got some error codes but I think that was because of bad or unconditioned fuel getting gelled in it's line. It's generaly always started and run well.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
That can be arranged.
U better have a BIG lunch Jr....
Old 12-16-2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by JKM
Hey Doc , how much fuel does that little sucker use? how long does it run? hard on batteries? etc.
Uses very little fuel....about a litre in 8 hours.

They CAN be hard on batteries when its cold...you MUST have lots of reserve capactitiy and the biggest batteries you can find.

My ESPAR ran 4 winters on my stock batteries.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Berak

I've had a few times it wouldn't start and I got some error codes but I think that was because of bad or unconditioned fuel getting gelled in it's line. It's generaly always started and run well.
I have never goteen any error code from the thing. It has ran every time I wanted it to, except for one. It was well below 45 below and the truck had been sitting for a week in the cold...heater ran just fine but the truck wouldnt start since the batteries were pulled down too far (no error code though)
Old 12-16-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
And I think Gieco266 missed the point of these heaters. They don't just take the chill out of the water.. The temperature of the engine is near running conditions when you get in. So you turn on the key and its at 140°F and ready to fire. No warm up required. A block heater can't do that.
Very true...after running 2 hours in -30 temperatures, the grid heaters turn off in about 4 seconds. A block heater can't do that .
Old 12-16-2005, 09:21 PM
JKM

What is it that draws so much juice from the batteries? Everyone keeps talking about jumping into a warm cab, does it run the fan for the cab also?

They are supposed to be looking up some prices for me at work.

How long does it take to heat the truck up also? could i set it to come on a couple hours before i head home from work? no sense in keeping it warm all day if i don't need it.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by JKM
What is it that draws so much juice from the batteries? Everyone keeps talking about jumping into a warm cab, does it run the fan for the cab also?

They are supposed to be looking up some prices for me at work.

How long does it take to heat the truck up also? could i set it to come on a couple hours before i head home from work? no sense in keeping it warm all day if i don't need it.
When its cold - and I mean cold (lower than -25) batteries dont put out very much juice. That, combined with the fact that the ESPAR uses a lot of juice when it fires up (4 amps) and then switches to low (2 amps) means that it CAN be somewhat hard on batteries. And yes, in most cases you install it so that your defrost is on and you leave the fan on low. Thats how the windshield gets defrosted.

How long does it take to heat the truck up? Depends on the outside temp. In most cases 45 minutes. Usually they are setup to run for 2 hours and then shutoff, but they can be ran for extended periods.

They come with all kinds of options. Mine has a tmer which allows you to set it to come on whenevr you want. It also has keyfobs just like a remote starter and you can turn the heater on/off with them that way too.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
When its cold - and I mean cold (lower than -25) batteries dont put out very much juice. That, combined with the fact that the ESPAR uses a lot of juice when it fires up (4 amps) and then switches to low (2 amps) means that it CAN be somewhat hard on batteries. And yes, in most cases you install it so that your defrost is on and you leave the fan on low. Thats how the windshield gets defrosted.

How long does it take to heat the truck up? Depends on the outside temp. In most cases 45 minutes. Usually they are setup to run for 2 hours and then shutoff, but they can be ran for extended periods.

They come with all kinds of options. Mine has a tmer which allows you to set it to come on whenevr you want. It also has keyfobs just like a remote starter and you can turn the heater on/off with them that way too.
Here's my thought on this Doc. Maybe you could place a neatly mounted Optima Yellow Top or two in your jockey box and power for the Espar to it/them. Run power and ground from the truck battery to it/them - but place a solenoid, switch activated, on the positve wire.

This way the heater runs off an isolated battery(ies) from the truck system and use the solenoid switch to charge when the truck is running.

You could save power by not running the defroster either - how long will it take to defrost the windows with an already warm engine? I don't think very long. I believe the time factor corresponds to getting the engine warm in the first place. A defroster on low doesn't put out too much anyway, so save the power for extended running time on the heater if required. JMHO however.

I've been thinking hard about this for when I can get my hands on a new CTD. I should charge for my ideas , but you can use this one for free if you wish.

BTW, is it crazy down there too workwise? Sheesh, gettin' a day off will get expensive if one has start to pay for them!
Old 12-17-2005, 06:15 PM
JKM

He has got an idea more like mine , i don't even need the truck near running temp at all , if the engine was 20 deg or even a little less (celcius that is) it would be more than enough for me.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Berak
I'm on my second season with my Espar and it would be one of the first things I'd add to any future diesel truck. ...
4th season with my Espar, my second Espar. The first one died after a month and was replaced on warranty.

I don'r remember the code, but when my Espar gelled it was the same as a failed flame sensor. One of these years, I'll rig up a separate tank just for the Espar to run straight #1 or kerosene.

Originally Posted by Festus
Here's my thought on this Doc. Maybe you could place a neatly mounted Optima Yellow Top or two in your jockey box and power for the Espar to it/them. Run power and ground from the truck battery to it/them - but place a solenoid, switch activated, on the positve wire.
If the exisiting batteries are in good shape and fully charged, they will power the Espar and start the truck. My problem comes up if I don't drive the truck enough to keep the batteries fully charged. I usually supplement with a battery charger.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:34 PM

I'm still on my stock batteries and I used my Espar pretty heavily last winter and continuing to do so this winter. I keep the fan on the lowest setting to defrost the windshield. Not having to scrape is great, or at worst just sliding the big chunk of ice or snow right off.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Festus
I've been thinking hard about this for when I can get my hands on a new CTD. I should charge for my ideas , but you can use this one for free if you wish.
Actually, the thought of an extra battery has crossed my mind a few times...seems like overkill but probably a good idea.