General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Toyota D4D shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Toyota D4D shenanigans

Just a short heads up for owners of Toyota D4D engines.

If you have the engine cutting out under acceleration, taking some time until it can get restarted, and get an Error Code P1229.. read on.

The error code says that the fuel rail pressure is too high.
There is a plethora of possible causes, like suction valve problems, sensor problems etc.
But, as a first step - change the fuel filter.
Why high pressure with a plugged filter?
With a plugged filter the suction valve (a proportioning valve that limits pump intake to regulate the line pressure) goes out of it's normal range of travel and starts to stick a bit, causing the high pressure as soon as the consumption falls a little. (Like during an upshift)

So, you can either get the car to a dealer, or read it with a 8$ scanner and a free smartphone app, see the code and change the 15$ fuel filter- before doing anything else.
I had a cost estimate from the dealership of a minimum 1300$ if no other faults are found..
I think the 23$ and about an hour of my time (fuel filter was rusted onto the holder and a bear to get off) was much more acceptable.

Cheers!