General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

There goes the credibility of ASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down There goes the credibility of ASE

I remember when ASE certification used to mean something...

Apparently, the ASE is now just another political hack organization.

Evidence? The headline reads: "Mechanics veto extending oil changes"

Relevant excerpt:
Sixty percent of the ASE certified master technicians said the oil should be changed at 3,000 miles - the longtime, recommended standard. Only 29 percent said between 3,000-5,000 miles is okay. Acceptability of 5,000 to 10,000 miles before an oil change is virtually non-existent at two percent.

That's right, friends. The trusty ASE wants us to believe that a modern API-spec SM oil is really no better than an SF oil from 1981. Of course, not only that-- but a modern fuel injected engine is no cleaner than a carbureted engine, and production tolerances haven't improved since the 1980s. So, in a nutshell, the oil change interval that was recommended then --when engines were much lower quality, filtration was much lower quality, and oil was much less capable-- is still perfectly valid to the ASE

Now, we just happen to be open-minded adults that recognize that the ASE is hardly a disinterested party on this matter. In fact, it's much like asking the foxes for a recommended henhouse security policy. Oil changes are the most commonly occuring maintenance item for any vehicle, and are therefore a major source of potential revenue for any vehicle maintenance or repair business.

Gee, I wonder if the UAW thinks that American auto companies should use union labor or non-union labor?

Full article:
http://www.vioc.com/pages/carcare/mechanics.asp
Old 01-31-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you want to lose business?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one wants to lose work but they shouldn't lie to there customers and say oil can't go past 3,000 miles when it can.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Of course not. I'm not faulting their desire to stay employed.

I'm faulting there patent dishonesty in advocating the 3K oci because of it. I'm also faulting their abuse of the heretofore respected ASE Master Tech certification.

JMO
Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Chapter President

If you think about it, backing the longer oil changes could impact the auto service sector in a positive way. Besides how many ASE mechanics work at Jiffy Lube?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mike D
If you think about it, backing the longer oil changes could impact the auto service sector in a positive way. Besides how many ASE mechanics work at Jiffy Lube?
How is that?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:43 AM

i'd bet ASE hates BMW's' view on oil-maint intervals. (for those that don't know, they don't rely on mileage, but consider driving conditions instead)
Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by CTD Guy76
How is that?
Simple, if the manufacture states in the owners manual the required service for oil change and ASE says otherwise, who you going to believe? Adds to credibility. If go into a garage and an ASE mech. says you should change your oil at 3,000 miles because that's the "party" line, you'll probably loose business.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Of course not. I'm not faulting their desire to stay employed.

I'm faulting there patent dishonesty in advocating the 3K oci because of it. I'm also faulting their abuse of the heretofore respected ASE Master Tech certification.

JMO
I do not know any one in the industry who respects the ASE certs,It is a joke and always has been.It is just like 5 star,another worthless symble a vendor can hang on his wall to impress the uninformed.

Bob
Old 02-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hohn, I am glad you brought that to our attention. Thats just an abuse of a recognized certification and I am disgusted. I don't know of many technitions who do oil changes anyway, hardly an ASE certified task. I just see it as another way to slip out from the warranty window.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:02 AM

I will add that a car burning E85 fuel needs its oil change every 3,000 miles per the manufacturers requirements as the oil will be as black as what comes out of my 06 diesel engine.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last time I remember ASE meaning what it should was back when there were 2 forms of life in the bays - the service manager and the mechanics (I don't count the other shop floor denizens, since they just swept up and fetched tools! ).
Old 02-01-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I remember when ASE certification used to mean something...

Apparently, the ASE is now just another political hack organization.

Evidence? The headline reads: "Mechanics veto extending oil changes"

Relevant excerpt:

That's right, friends. The trusty ASE wants us to believe that a modern API-spec SM oil is really no better than an SF oil from 1981. Of course, not only that-- but a modern fuel injected engine is no cleaner than a carbureted engine, and production tolerances haven't improved since the 1980s. So, in a nutshell, the oil change interval that was recommended then --when engines were much lower quality, filtration was much lower quality, and oil was much less capable-- is still perfectly valid to the ASE

Now, we just happen to be open-minded adults that recognize that the ASE is hardly a disinterested party on this matter. In fact, it's much like asking the foxes for a recommended henhouse security policy. Oil changes are the most commonly occuring maintenance item for any vehicle, and are therefore a major source of potential revenue for any vehicle maintenance or repair business.

Gee, I wonder if the UAW thinks that American auto companies should use union labor or non-union labor?

Full article:
http://www.vioc.com/pages/carcare/mechanics.asp
Hello,

I have to disagree. The oil today has been reduced in it's lubricity capability. Emissions requirements have taken their toll. A fuel injected engine is no cleaner than a carburated engine if both are correctly functioning. I'll give you the tolerances and materials science aspects to varying degrees. Just as it was in the 1980's you could go 6000 miles between oil changes on most all stock vehicles.

I have never owned a service center and have never been a paid mechanic in case you were wondering.

Damon
Old 02-01-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
This (ASE`s position) is coming from an organization that still uses illustrations from a 1967 GM service manual in their tests,lol. FWIW my wifes Chevy`s oil chg monitor usually runs to about 7K before it starts blinking, one of the reasons that thing get Mobil One...but I digress... while 5K intervals are becoming more the norm, some vehicles NEED lower a OCI (ever see the innards of a Yota 4cyl thats been fed a diet of 5K OCI`s?...ugghhh).
Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 PM

As an ASE Master Tech I can tell you that they really dont mean much. I can also say that 3 months 3K miles between oil changes doesnt mean much anymore either. Almost every manufacture out there now does built in oil change interval lights. My 03 Trailblazer does, all the BMW I work on do and have since the 1980's. This light comes on based on (vehicle dependent), oil flow, engine determined use of oil, and mileage. And a few things that I am sure I am forgetting. The only time I do oil changes is when its part of a larger ticket.

As to oil change intervals I wouldnt recommend longer oil change intervals till you test the oil for the engine. Each one is built slightly different with different tolerances so its wise to just check how well that oil is doing in your engine. I did with my jetta and it showed I was doing fine at 15K intervals on oil changes.

Quick Reply: There goes the credibility of ASE