General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

tank dipped today

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Shovelhead
Let's see.
There's a 'shortage' that caused the price to rise.
In protest, nobody uses their fuel for a week.
They have more fuel.
The price stays the same while the nation's shipping industry shuts down.
(ever notice how long it takes for fuel prices to drop?)
We all resume our use of diesel fuel creating another 'shortage'.
Price goes up.
And this solves what?

How about this as a possible solution: Oil is at $55 a bbl because of Wall Street speculation. Demand is up, and supply is manipulated by OPEC.

Cut demand for 30 days and watch Wall Street speculators scramble to intiate stop loss before their porfolio tanks. The DOW goes up, oil costs drop to the $30 a bbl range. Within 4 months fuel prices go back to the 03 benchmark.

The oil speculators learn the same balloon lesson as the dot commers. In the mean time, we agressively pursue domestic oil sources and alternative energy sources like bio-diesel and hydrogen.

Of course, if this scenario sounds too simplistic, or perhaps like a recipe for polyanna, then we can simply accept the status quo and "follow the herd"
Old 10-22-2004, 05:53 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
So what would the trucking companies use for fuel during this period?
Old 10-22-2004, 07:20 AM

What we need is for these States like mine as well as WV where i live to Dip their own tanks . I pulled in to a check point once and walked over and said yea u can check mine if i can look at your's . Never heard such a comotion as i poped the lid off the tank on their Pete they had hooked to a tanker trailer, Sure enough Red as bullblood , I said how about writing your selfs up .....

Provisions are made in the statute to allow dyed diesel fuel on
the highway when that use is allowed under the Internal Revenue service Code and Regulations.
Special dyed diesel is only lawful on West Virginia highways when used in school buses, government
vehicles, intercity local passenger buses and non-registered (and not required to be registered)
vehicles.

Why should we be subject to take up the slack paying road taxes whene the dipsticks dont pay back into the state tax's their selfs
Old 10-22-2004, 07:26 AM

Good Point.
But then when did the government ever worry about following the same laws that they impose on us "commoners"?

BTW Welcome to the site.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:29 AM

I still don't understand the toll road thing. I'm paying tolls to drive to and from work. and $2.30/gal. The Dallas N tollway was paid for several years ago, now they say the money is going to the schools...That's where they said the lottery money was going. I don't understand. I-30 thru Dallas was a toll road they decomm'ed. I see they don't make that mistake any more... I drive 30 miles on a toll road for $0.40 one way and $0.50 the other (don't ask, I don't get it either). In dallas 20 mi would cost you $4 one way, on a paid off toll road. That doesn't make since....

The one in IL is I-94/294 ( a fed hwy) the one in TX is a State road. Doesn't my fuel tax pay for the fed hwy? Why do I have tolls on a fed hwy?

What do I know, I'm just a crying little boy who wants his mommy
Old 10-25-2004, 06:16 PM

I would be glad to have a toll system here in Missouri . Our roads are the worst in the country , the truckers call it " Misery " .
Old 10-26-2004, 09:20 AM

Sad day im hunting a Small cheap car to run so i can park my , Pickup , Diesel 2.35-2.40 a Gallon Gasoline 1.95-2.05 for 87 octane , Just spells Bull crap of all proportions ,
Old 10-26-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by KaysCowboy
Sad day im hunting a Small cheap car to run so i can park my , Pickup , Diesel 2.35-2.40 a Gallon Gasoline 1.95-2.05 for 87 octane , Just spells Bull crap of all proportions ,
Ya might wanna hold off on the small car.

Sources are predicting gasoline prices will soon be catching up with diesel fuel.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This stuff has to come to an end soon. It is getting real sickening. Enough is enough. It needs to drop back to a sain price but I honestly dought it will ever drop below $2.00 again. If it does it wont be much. There will always be some bull excuse. Meanwhile they * will be just getting richer and richer.

* edited by moderator
You agree, through your use of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, that you will not post any material which is ....defamatory, ........ abusive, racially based or biased........
Old 10-29-2004, 09:19 AM

well each year it seems to climb higher and then they drop it back . we are happy when it falls back but it never goes back where it was each year they bump us alittle at a time. i firmly believe that one day there will be only rich people and poor people. still waitng to here if i am going to be fined
Old 10-29-2004, 10:02 AM

Prices at the local QT dropped a nickel overnight, 2.15 to 2.09

figger that one out?

I cancelled a road trip wed cause of the diesel prices, and then it drops!
Old 10-29-2004, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shovelhead
Let's see.
There's a 'shortage' that caused the price to rise.
In protest, nobody uses their fuel for a week.
They have more fuel.
The price stays the same while the nation's shipping industry shuts down.
(ever notice how long it takes for fuel prices to drop?)
We all resume our use of diesel fuel creating another 'shortage'.
Price goes up.
And this solves what?
The way I see it:

The price was $55+, the Norwegian strike has been averted, the Nigerian strike delayed. The price of oil moved a buck or two during that week, while the pump price of 2D (only) moved a dime upwards. $20 of that price is speculation. So the real price is still $35/bbl.

It takes six (6) weeks for the prices to drop, but only one phone call from the wholesaler for it to rise.

If we shut down for a couple of weeks, the refineries will slowly stop producing and hold back. The tankers will just sit offshore and wait. The oil companies aren't affected, nor is their bottom line. It would take a six month or longer driver shutdown to affect them.

How long can you stop driving? About a week, before my bottom line starts feeling the pinch. Worse yet for O/O's. Can't say what company drivers will face or how they'd re-route their loads. The rail system would have to shut down, without a supply line. The economy would tank in three weeks.

I don't see any state or any Federal official talking about reducing speed limits. We know from experience that the 55/65 saved lots of fuel. Well documented. I still have wackos passing me doing 85 in 70 zones. I had one guy pass me three times in 300 miles, because he needed to gas up that often. He didn't save any time. I stayed at a steady 65, five down from the limit and was still ahead of him.

We're not seeing the fuel efficient vehicles being offered, only more in the H1-H3 line of fuel wasters. We're not running out of oil, we're damned near out of it. Our peak was hit already. Even with Athabascan and Orinoco oil, that peak will be in 2020. I won't be around for that one, but what happens in the meantime.

I ran across a website that helps explain it. The guy that wrote it apparently has no connection to the oil industry, which may or may not lend him credibility. www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

The law of supply and demand is what it's all about. They've been telling us for years, about how we're part of the global community.
What happens in Nigeria or Norway affects us. What happens here in the USA doesn't matter much to the EU or Africa. Maybe now you'll start believing it.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by FastZilla
I still don't understand the toll road thing. I'm paying tolls to drive to and from work. and $2.30/gal. .......Why do I have tolls on a fed hwy? .............
Up here in Taxachusetts, if you drive Interstate 90 (The MassPike), a toll road, and are a resident, you can recover the money paid on road taxes for each gallon of fuel used on I-90. However, there is so much BS red tape, forms, receipts and records required to get the refund, only a handfull of people applied last year. Occasionally, a Boston TV station will do a piece on it, but no one seems to take advantage of it. For me, 70 miles a day adds up.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:44 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOW this Sure shifted from topic.

Bottom Line is if you burn red in your truck and get caught it will Hurt. Why would you risk it?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by KaysCowboy
What we need is for these States like mine as well as WV where i live to Dip their own tanks . I pulled in to a check point once and walked over and said yea u can check mine if i can look at your's . Never heard such a comotion as i poped the lid off the tank on their Pete they had hooked to a tanker trailer, Sure enough Red as bullblood , I said how about writing your selfs up .....

Provisions are made in the statute to allow dyed diesel fuel on
the highway when that use is allowed under the Internal Revenue service Code and Regulations.
Special dyed diesel is only lawful on West Virginia highways when used in school buses, government
vehicles, intercity local passenger buses and non-registered (and not required to be registered)
vehicles.

Why should we be subject to take up the slack paying road taxes whene the dipsticks dont pay back into the state tax's their selfs
I haul diesel to state & county yards. I don't haul any dyed diesel because they are not charged any state or federal tax. They are exempt. We the tax payers are footing the bill for there fuel. So do you really want public vehicles to pay the road tax & have our taxes go up more so we can pay the cost?

Quick Reply: tank dipped today