General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

tank dipped today

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by phox_mulder

They're also coming up with a way to "sniff" the exhaust, no dipping necessary.

phox
Gonna sniff my exhaust?? Don't like the sounds of that!!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:55 PM

well they did ask to dip. she said we would like to dip your tank. but it is $1000.00 dollar fine each refusal plus other fines. my problem is there just scewing all of us and we just keep taking it. i wish everyone would just stop for 3 days. think that would send a message? there is always the group of babies that just wont do it. so KY for everyone
Old 10-19-2004, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Floorman
well they did ask to dip. she said we would like to dip your tank. but it is $1000.00 dollar fine each refusal plus other fines. my problem is there just scewing all of us and we just keep taking it. i wish everyone would just stop for 3 days. think that would send a message? there is always the group of babies that just wont do it. so KY for everyone
I'm with you. Lets park these rigs across the nation for a few days, or better yet, months, and then watch the wall street folks crumble!

Mine has been parked for 4 days now.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ten8fiftyone
I'm with you. Lets park these rigs across the nation for a few days, or better yet, months, and then watch the wall street folks crumble!

You probably have something else to drive or some other way to get to work. I don't. If I don't drive it.... it hurts me more than I could "damage" the oil companies.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by ten8fiftyone

Mine has been parked for 10 days, and before that 2 weeks been driving the TDI and the bike
Old 10-20-2004, 06:06 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Let's see.
There's a 'shortage' that caused the price to rise.
In protest, nobody uses their fuel for a week.
They have more fuel.
The price stays the same while the nation's shipping industry shuts down.
(ever notice how long it takes for fuel prices to drop?)
We all resume our use of diesel fuel creating another 'shortage'.
Price goes up.
And this solves what?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Shovelhead
Let's see.
There's a 'shortage' that caused the price to rise.
In protest, nobody uses their fuel for a week.
They have more fuel.
The price stays the same while the nation's shipping industry shuts down.
(ever notice how long it takes for fuel prices to drop?)
We all resume our use of diesel fuel creating another 'shortage'.
Price goes up.
And this solves what?
Exactly.... only thing is does is make the shoemakers happy.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Sidewinder
Gonna sniff my exhaust?? Don't like the sounds of that!!
It is already here. The sensor looks for the chemicals that are present in combusted Red Diesel fuel vs. the regular diesel fumes. It is very similar to the sensors used in emissions testing regular gas engines for NOx etc. Really not difficult or new technology. The plus here is that they can just pull the vehicle over at the check point, insert the probe, and tell if the tracer is in the fuel.

The chemical sensor is the death blow to the afore mentioned in-bed tank scenario. The only thing is I don't know if having a switch back to regular diesel would work or be fast enough. How long does it take to completely wash out a fuel filter and lines? Certainly longer than waiting at a checkpoint, especially with the vapors lingering in a muffler or resonator. A straight system would still have condensate in it.

I make my own fuel and am keeping track of gallons produced so I can send in the appropriate taxes. I have heard much discussion about how to tax the WVO users, since vegitable oil is considered food, not fuel, but I think when it is burned on the highway, the rules change. If you have an inbed tank, running homemade or veg. oil would probably get around the sniffer and the dip, but again: it won't be long before the crackdown comes.

As a side note: When prices go up and we consumers look for alternatives to cut the costs of driving, crimes like this rise. When Gasoline rose over $2.00/gal. here, I had two vehicles siphoned. When they siphoned my diesel, I knew who did it! That beat up oldsmobile was smoking, knocking, and gasping like it wanted to crawl in a hole and die! I live close to low income/rent assistance apartments.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by zulusafari
As a side note: When prices go up and we consumers look for alternatives to cut the costs of driving, crimes like this rise. When Gasoline rose over $2.00/gal. here, I had two vehicles siphoned. When they siphoned my diesel, I knew who did it! That beat up oldsmobile was smoking, knocking, and gasping like it wanted to crawl in a hole and die! I live close to low income/rent assistance apartments.
If you've been putting off getting a locking tank cap, now is the time to do it.

Making myself a note as we speak.

phox
Old 10-20-2004, 07:55 PM

Hay Zulusafari. Do you have any idea what the fine is in Iowa for running Red fuel? I was arguing with a freind today who said it was not much and I thought it was huge like severl grand and he said that only DOT patrol cars have a probe. I dont know but I would think most any cop could have the equipment espesoly the state patrol. Any Ideas?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:51 AM

If I read the pamphlet right, I think the fine was $1000, big deal...
The kicker was that because of the size of our fuel tanks, it was a FELONY
Just a misdemeanor for little VWs though
Old 10-21-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Rob_OBX
THey can fine you for not letting them dip, there was an informative pamphlet given to me during the dip.
They never asked permission, or said anything about consent. Just handed me a pamphlet and opened her up...

The Commonwealth of Virginia just published a brochure called "Frequently Asked Questions About Farm Vehicles" (www.dmvnow.com form # dmv 28) that addresses dyed fuel.. What it is and when you can use it..

It also addressed the penalty for illegal use of dyed fuel -

The fine for a refusal to allow an inspection is $5,000.00 penalty for EACH refusal... VA Code 58.1-2267

The fine for the fuel itself is $1,000 minimum or $10 per gallon based on the maximum capacity of the tank.. If the dyed fuel came from a bulk tank at your house/farm, they can (will) also assess you for the storage capacity of that tank.. VA Code 58.1-2265b

just wanted to share..
Old 10-21-2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by thatguy
If the dyed fuel came from a bulk tank at your house/farm, they can (will) also assess you for the storage capacity of that tank.. VA Code 58.1-2265b

just wanted to share..

It's amazing to me that they can do that. How can I be charged on my what they think my intentions are The government is such crap.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Rob_OBX
It's amazing to me that they can do that. How can I be charged on my what they think my intentions are The government is such crap.

Here is the code section referenced..

B. The amount of the civil penalty for any act described in subsection A shall be the greater of $1,000 or ten dollars per gallon of fuel, based on the maximum storage capacity of the storage tank, container or storage tank of the highway vehicle, watercraft or aircraft.

I dont see how they can assess the vehicle tank AND the storage tank since the code references 'OR' not 'and'.. But if you went to court the judge may throw out that part of the penalty..
Old 10-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by thatguy
Here is the code section referenced..

B. The amount of the civil penalty for any act described in subsection A shall be the greater of $1,000 or ten dollars per gallon of fuel, based on the maximum storage capacity of the storage tank, container or storage tank of the highway vehicle, watercraft or aircraft.

I dont see how they can assess the vehicle tank AND the storage tank since the code references 'OR' not 'and'.. But if you went to court the judge may throw out that part of the penalty..
Watercraft or aircraft?

Just in case you need to make an emergency landing on the highway?

phox

Quick Reply: tank dipped today