General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Switching to the Dodge side ...!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Switching to the Dodge side ...!

Hi Guys
I am new to your site , I am currently running a 2001 f-350 SRW with a diesel ... I love the truck but it just keeps leting me down , No matter how I treat the truck , ford has put 4 tranys ...and I don't even tow anything big , I blew 2 turbo's , 3 water pumps and 4th one was put on because the tech cracked the housing in the instal ... total visits to the dealer is 28 time's ... all for big stuff , If I used this truck to make a living I would be in the poor house .

I am looking at buying a new quad cab , I am up in the air if I should go with dual wheels , money is not the problem , I don't mind the extra tires being wider than a single ... I would like to know whats a better rear ... are they both Dana .
As far as the trans , I would like the auto , but don't mind the stick , my concern would be I do have some knee problems ...nothing bad ... just getting older , I hear the stick is a much better trans .

The Transfer case I did see a few pics with a manual shifter ...I would like that .

As far as motors ... cummins of course , is there any thing to look out for in the new engines .

If any one can steer me in the right direction as far as dodges , that would be most greatful for your help .

Thanks guys
Greg
Old 10-08-2005, 11:49 AM

First of all welcome to the DTR, there is lots of good info on here. Now lets answer some of your questions.

The new Dodges run AAM axles no more Danas. If you do a lot of towing, the duals are nice. If not, the go with the single rear wheel.

The 48RE trans is much improved over the 47RE and will hold up much better. The jury is still out on the G56 6 speed, no more NV5600. Again, if you pull a big trailer, get the 6 speed, otherwise the 48RE will do all you want.

The manually shifted t-case is the way to go for me.

Cummins is the only medium duty diesel in a light duty pickup, enough said about that.

Any more questions ask away.

Tiny
Old 10-08-2005, 12:16 PM

What he said!!

Chris
Old 10-08-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi, Welcome aboard. I must make a confession here. I have owned Fords since 1988 . I have since seen the error in my ways and have repented my sins. My only truck now is a Dodge Cummins.(see signature) You my friend are living proof of FixOrRepairDaily and FindOnRoadDead. IMO you should trade up. You won't regret it. I myself tow a moderately heavy boat with DRW's. It is very stable and somewhat intimidating to small cars and old ladies. Especially after I cranked up the power and went to the larger and louder exhaust. I prefer the automatic because of old age and bum knees. The guys in DTR are great. They are knowledgeable, courteous, and are not the least bit bashful. Through them I have found this truck to be the easiest vehicle to Hotrod that I have ever owned. Good luck on your next purchase.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:07 PM

I have not seen any problems with the electric shift tranfer case and like mine . Would I have ordered it that way , probably not but now that I got it I really like it . It works well and gives me a lot more room for a person sitting in the middle.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:20 PM

your 2001 f350 with the 7.3 should be a solid truck BUT i hear ya on the turbos and trannies...u forgot to mention glow plugs and doors that doon't line up, total computer meltdowns on the highway, fender rusting and leaking oil

but umm...welcome to the darkside....if you use the truck for work alot and never plan on racing or something then get yourself a manual...if you have money for a 2001 f350 then i guess you have money for a new truck i dont know anyhting about those...just stay clear of the 24 valve ve44 pumps (no offense guys) and go for a common rail....or if you're a do-it-urself kinda guy and are looking for performance then get an older 12 valve

enjoy
Old 10-08-2005, 05:27 PM

I hit the dealer today

I don't have new truck fever ... I need to play this out right , I have over $20,000 in after market items on my Ford ... If I change the engine , trans , transfer , and rears the truck should be fine ... but then its still rusting out .

I was looking at a local dealer ... as a dealer they suck , the only good thing I got out of them was a 2006 brosure ...LOL , They had 2 trucks , no mega cabs and no duellys .
I'm still up in the air on duelly or single ... my ford rear was suppose to be a strong rear and that rear came apart twice and thats what took out one of the four tranys that was installed ...I hate to bash my truck ...it's just not giving any love back .

I am going to try and sell my truck personally , but with this econemy not to many guys are going to have 30 grand in there pockets .
My truck is running 22" mini alco'a with a 35 toyo tire ... that set up is like 2 months old ...5 grand , the truck has Texas outfitter front and back bumpers , custom side bars that would cost 5grand to build ... so much time and cash .
I will proibly end up striping the truck and put all the stock parts on and just trade and sell the parts .

Hows the rust pervention on the dodges , I have heard some bad things in the past , but not much these days .

Thanks for the warm welcome guys .

Greg
Old 10-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greguw
I don't have new truck fever ... I need to play this out right , I have over $20,000 in after market items on my Ford ... If I change the engine , trans , transfer , and rears the truck should be fine ... but then its still rusting out .
Well, I know nothing about the third gens, but I think that you'll fit right in here...
Old 10-09-2005, 02:08 AM

the only thing i heard about the 3rd gens is that fuel economy isnt what it used to be...you gotta get a 12 valve to get the 21-24mpg people mention
Old 10-09-2005, 02:36 AM

Not true, I get 22-25 mpg with the cruise set at 110 kph which is 68 mph. The truck runs great with the DRW and 4:10 rear end. Rpms are around 2200.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:40 AM
FAY

Switching to the Dodge side

Originally Posted by Smokeitup
Not true, I get 22-25 mpg with the cruise set at 110 kph which is 68 mph. The truck runs great with the DRW and 4:10 rear end. Rpms are around 2200.

Smokeitup, in your mileage calculations you have to consider that Americans use a fuel volumetric quantity based on the US gallon that is registered on their fuel dealer's diesel pump, while we Canadians used to use the Imperial gallon amount registered on the station pump when calculating the mpg equation. An American needs more US gallons to fill his tank then I needed previously when filling my tank with Imperial gallons. The Imperial gallon is a slightly larger volumetric measure than the US gallon. Pardon me if you already converted litres to US gallons. On the other hand, if you converted litres now registered on the station pump into Imperial gallons then your mpg figure can't be compared accurately with the American's mpg calculation based on the US gallon.

Last edited by FAY; 11-01-2005 at 10:51 AM. Reason: poor grammar and spelly
Old 11-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya, you have to be careful about MPG on here.. I usually say MPGUS or MPGI just to avoid confusion..

1 Imperial Gallon = 4.55 Litres
1 US Gallon = 3.785 Litres.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome! Good to have you Greguw!

I hate to tell you this, but you won't get nearly as much money out of your truck as you'd like to. Aftermarket add-ons don't affect the NADA value.

So you're in the unenviable position of finding someone that wants all your add-ons, will pay for them, and doesn't mind that the truck has a history of expensive breakage.

So, good luck on getting rid of it-- we all want to see you happy, and a Dodge may be a big part of that.

As for option recommendations...

I believe that you should pick either a tow machine that compromises everything else, or go versatile and compromise towing. What will you tow? How heavy? How often?

So, if you tow or want it used mostly for towing, then your options should be: 2wd, 4.10 axle, Dual wheels, Long bed. Auto trans if you tow light, manual trans if you tow heavy. The auto makes manuevering a lot easier for hitching up.

If you want a truck that's more versatile, then go SRW, 4x4, 3.73 axle, auto trans.

IMO, the change to the G56 and 48RE DRASTICALLY changes the tranny selection process. First, the 48RE is a MUCH better trans than previous Dodge autos. I'd definitely consider it. The G56 is unproven, and geared pretty short. You cannot get it with a 4.10 because it's geared so short it's like having 4.10s already. It also uses a dual mass flywheel, which is questionable to some.

When I bought my truck, the 5600 was the only Dodge tranny offered that was known to be stout and pretty much trouble-free. That's why I opted for the 6-speed. Yeah, I got stuck with the HO, but it's been a great combo.

But if I were buying a NEW Dodge diesel, I'd opt for the automatic trans for almost all circumstances. With the 48RE, you get the best Dodge Truck auto trans made yet. It's proven to be pretty strong even in stock form.

If you want to add HP to the truck, then the 48RE is easy to upgrade to hold it. All the major tranny shops (DTT, ATS, Suncoast, Goerend Bros) have had it apart and been able to make it VERY strong.

What about the G56? No one knows how strong it is. No one knows how or when an upgraded clutch will be available.

I love my stick shift, but the landscape has changed to make the AUTO tranny the tranny of choice if you will even consider adding HP.

JMO, and I'm willing to defend it
Old 11-01-2005, 05:37 PM

Welcome, I also know what you mean on the aftermarket trucks. I want to get a megacab now, but I have so much stuff on my 02, I just cant justify it. As far as trannies: If you really want to haul azz, do some towing, and have a good all around truck, the auto is the way to go. If you do serious towing, use a exhaust brake, feel more in control of the driving, and dont mind shifting all the time, go manual. How much weight do you plan on towing? Or putting in the bed of your truck. My 3/4 ton has done everything I needed and more. Plus in AK, dually suck on snow and ice. I prefer sticks cause I tow 90% of the time. My wife didnt like the long throws so I got her an automatic. For me, the stick was better. It all depends on you.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:57 PM

http://www.fordcummins.com

If you like your Ford you can always put a Cummins in it.

Quick Reply: Switching to the Dodge side ...!