General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

stock d-max vs stock cummins

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock d-max vs stock cummins

I have an uncle with a new bone stock 04 cummins. And a cousin with a duramax(02??) with a cone filter, but otherwise stock. Both automatics. dodge was a 4 door single wheel shortbed. D-max is a reg cab dually. Both 4wd. Me, and my cousin took both of them out for a drive the other day. We drove the D-max first. It ran good for a stock truck. Allison shifted well, but was not as impressive as you would think. It ran best from 0-55mph or so until it hit overdrive. Overdrive pulled it down lower in rpm's, and that slowed it down a lot. Not the torque of the Cummins. Drove the cummins next. BONE dry stock. NOTHING for performance. More pep off the line than the d-max, and definatley more pull. Transmission shifted well, and made very good use of the engines power seemed to me like. First thing i noticed when it hit overdrive and pulled down to about 2k rpm's is that the cummins never missed a beat. Kept on pulling hard all the way up to wherever you wanted to let out of the throttle. Sure seemed to me like it would pull better than the D-Max. My buddy who also drove them and is pretty hardcore chevy also said he liked the way the cummins ran better. VERY peppy for a stock truck. So my findings are that first of all. They both run good. The cummins just runs better. We didint race them side by side, but there is definatley quite a bit of seat of the pants difference, and the cummins is definatley quite a bit faster. The allison is nice, and all; but from what i've seen of the new 48re. I would probably just assume to have it, because you wont have to sell your house to rebuild it when the time comes, and if u keep it long enough any automatic will have to be rebuilt the way i see it. The allison is still a great transmission. I just think it almost shift to darned much to suit me. I also liked the low end of the cummins better for sure. Cruising at 1600rpm or so, you could step down on it quite a bit, and it would pick right up, and move on. No need to make it downgear to 3rd. Its just as happy in 4th. The d-max/allison is a downgearing happy rig. It just likes to downgear, and redline to make power. So i dont know who says the new cummins wont win any races stock, but i can sure guarantee the winner if we would have raced these side by side. And my cousin will also tell you and he's diehard chevy. I do think all the new stock trucks run good. I would have liked to of hooked them to the same load, and ran them too, but i doubt that will happen. The cummins sure feels like it would have out pulled the d-max pretty good if u ask me. Ill also go ahead, and say i am biased towards cummins bigtime, but these are true findings.

Eric
Old 07-29-2005, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to me

havin driven both, the duramax will pull very well, just not like a cummins would, I think the duramax in the chevy is more like a long distance haulin or a real good highway runnin diesel.. But even in that department, the cummins has already been proven, the duramax has a lot of way to go to catch up to the cummins reputation..IMHO

Tx
Old 07-29-2005, 06:22 PM

I think the Duramax will pose more of a challenge to the Cummins than the Powerstroke. They are really starting to come on in the sled pulling and drag racing events. I've never driven one nor do I care too but I've seen plenty of them pull right with the Cummins on the sled track.

stock v. stock?? what's stock?? I wouldn't want a modded D-Max on the line next too me.....
Old 07-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Banned

what I find it comes down to is simple, all the big three make good trucks. The matter of what it is like stock only matters mildly to me, who is really satisfied with stock anyway? The solid front axle makes it so much more affordable to do any sort of lift, IFS is way outa reach. Working on them comes into play and I like the room to move around under my hood. Looks are real important, I drove bowties for years but when I see rickety old men climbing into a cab with no trouble I shuddder to think that image is portryed to all who drive them. I know htat is based on stock trim but again to lift an ifs is almost cost prohibitive. Lots of products out for all the makers but it seems that reliability is in our side and power for now, Dmax is still a new item and will be tweaked by the manufacturer for years to come, heck wh kow how long the oval 6.0 will be around or what it will be replaced by if they feal it needs a quick yank. Cummins has a long history , a faithfull following, and they won't do anything to hurt that long built trust.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:13 AM

The way i see it, just buy the truck you like best.In my case theres no decision to be made . Many people do leave these trucks stock, so stock performance does matter. There may be d-max's that will give us a run for the money in street classes(like tomac), but then you see Scheids truck pull, and blow them out of the water, and you realize they have a LONG way to go before they catch the cummins in the open class. Even the new cummins motors can already run with them and they havent had near as long for research on them as the d-max has had on its injection system. I thinkt he D-max is a decent motor, but its still an overgrown Isuzu

Eric
Old 07-31-2005, 10:38 AM

just as a side note,my buddy just bought a 4x4,4 door,gmc dura with all but leather for 34 out the door........if chevy would stick to this kind of pricing,they would be much more appealing i think..........bama
Old 07-31-2005, 03:43 PM

Yeah. They are really proud of there trucks compared to dodge if you ask me. Ford is also very proud.

Eric
Old 08-07-2005, 12:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
One of my best friends bought an 05 Chevy Crew-Cab Silverado 3500 SRW D-Max earlier this year after having had an 01 2500 D-Max. When I asked how he liked it he said it wasn't as snappy as his 01 even though it's supposed to have more power. I rode with him a couple of weeks ago and noticed he'd added an Edge box which supposedly added 80 HP, plus he added a 4" turbo-back exhaust. It rode nice and was fairly quiet inside (we could talk easily w/o shouting ) and was quite comfortable with regard to interior amenities, but as far as power's concerned, I have little doutb my 97 CTD would walk all over his new D-Max.

Steve
Old 08-07-2005, 12:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
all 3 have good truck it all depends on what you want to drive
Old 08-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

lets put it this way I didn't buy a Dodge I baught a Cummins.. I have owned both the 6.0 and the D-max for my small company. None compare to power of the Cummins.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
I thinkt he D-max is a decent motor, but its still an overgrown Isuzu

Eric
You mean a shrunk Izuzu, right. There is a 7.8L INLINE 6 in Izuzu's stable to fight the C7 CAT.

Chris