Stand up for the CTD!!! - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stand up for the CTD!!!

Reply

 
 
 
Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 423
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Stand up for the CTD!!!

Why do duramax and powerstroke guys brag about an engine that cannot make the power of a cummins. Are not designed to last as long, and have to work twice as hard as a 12 valve that can make 1200 lbs torque at 2700 rpms to make their 700 lbs at 4000. Its not hard to see that cummins had the right idea in the 80's and didnt have to change much to this day to keep up with ford or chevys bright ideas It just gets to me sometimes, had to vent a little.
rootremblay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 PM
  #2  
Admin Team Leader
 
Lary Ellis (Top)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 15,432
Thanked 181 Times in 134 Posts
My guess is because they are making payments on it and NOBODY wants to be told they wasted their money on a piece of junk. They all have their own issues and quirks, the only person that has to like them is the guy signing the check.

Frankly I never understood all this chest thumping bravado stuff over the brand name, they are ALL diesels and welcome here.
Lary Ellis (Top) is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 PM
  #3  
Banned
 
displacedtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Place with no quail:(
Posts: 3,337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gotta side with Larry on this one, if the guy buying the truck likes it, who else cares?

And most diesels out there live their whole lives stock, and stock they are fairly even powerwise, and the Cummins tends to feel the slowest...
displacedtexan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 PM
  #4  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northern Iowa
Posts: 663
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Cummins and also, I'm simply an I-6 fan in general. Sort of hard to go wrong with 7 main bearings keeping you in line.

That said, I'm a diesel fan big-time and really wish there was more community around all three brands...we're a hotly contested group right now in the eyes of the EPA (look at '07 & '10 emissions regulations) and it would serve us well to simply learn to get along.

It makes me proud when a D-max or Powerstroke owner can write in here with honest questions and recieve honest, un-baised replies. It's really a great community we have here, so let's put aside the band-bashing that is sadly typical of other sites and make this a welcoming community. It's what we hope to be remembered for....
96_12V is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:36 PM
  #5  
Admin Team Leader
 
Lary Ellis (Top)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 15,432
Thanked 181 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by 96_12V View Post
It makes me proud when a D-max or Powerstroke owner can write in here with honest questions and recieve honest, un-baised replies. It's really a great community we have here, so let's put aside the band-bashing that is sadly typical of other sites and make this a welcoming community. It's what we hope to be remembered for....
I could not agree more !
Lary Ellis (Top) is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:40 PM
  #6  
Muted User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SOUTHCENTRAL OHIO
Posts: 537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got a 12 valve, another friend of mine has a 7.3 powerstroke, and several of my buddies got duramax's, we all mess with each other about them, but when it comes down to it, if it blow's smoke we like playing with it. i can tell you now, i would gladly take a duramax over my 12 valve, so would alot of other people, why?? cause 90% of people dont care if their truck can go 500K miles, they wont keep it longer than 3 or 4 years, they want something that rides good, pulls good, and is just comfortable, ive had access to all 3 generations of dodges, i owned 2 and my friend had a 3rd gen, and they are no where near as nice as a 01-07.5 chevy. duramax's will pull just as much as a dodge, i know this because we roll across the grain scales several times a week at almost 30K GCVW in the fall and spring, we pull 16K GCVW or more every weekend going to truck pulls with the A/C on and never have a problem, the same goes with the powerstroke. if the 5.9 was the best engine built they would still be 5.9 liters not 6.7 to keep up. sorry to **** on anyones parade but if it was my choice i would have a DT466 sorry but that is how i feel.
LOGAN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dakotas
Posts: 1,416
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LOGAN View Post
i got a 12 valve, another friend of mine has a 7.3 powerstroke, and several of my buddies got duramax's, we all mess with each other about them, but when it comes down to it, if it blow's smoke we like playing with it. i can tell you now, i would gladly take a duramax over my 12 valve, so would alot of other people, why?? cause 90% of people dont care if their truck can go 500K miles, they wont keep it longer than 3 or 4 years, they want something that rides good, pulls good, and is just comfortable, ive had access to all 3 generations of dodges, i owned 2 and my friend had a 3rd gen, and they are no where near as nice as a 01-07.5 chevy. duramax's will pull just as much as a dodge, i know this because we roll across the grain scales several times a week at almost 30K GCVW in the fall and spring, we pull 16K GCVW or more every weekend going to truck pulls with the A/C on and never have a problem, the same goes with the powerstroke. if the 5.9 was the best engine built they would still be 5.9 liters not 6.7 to keep up. sorry to **** on anyones parade but if it was my choice i would have a DT466 sorry but that is how i feel.
If I had a 1990 D250 I would gladly trade for a 01+ duramax also
The 5.9 could no longer meet emmision standards so it had to end. What Pulling 30,000 GCVW big deal even a 6.0 powerstroke can do that. (I know, I have one parked beside my Dodge)
Most of the guys that I know that bash dodge have never even driven one.
RAMRODD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:41 AM
  #8  
Muted User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SOUTHCENTRAL OHIO
Posts: 537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well everyone thinks a dodge can tow soooo much more than the other 2, they cant, they will all give up at about the same point. i like the 1st gen, tolerate the 2nd gen and hate the 3rd gen. if i could have a 3rd gen drivetrain in a 1st gen frame with a 2nd gen body it would be a great truck.
LOGAN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:26 AM
  #9  
Registered User
 
johnny5.9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 423
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I knew guys with reason and common sense would chime in! No other forum has such a collection of down to earth people as here. No wonder I spend more time here than anywhere else! If diesel truck owners put the time into their trucks that they currently put into puffing their chest out, imagine what would be accomplished.
johnny5.9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 AM
  #10  
Registered User
 
Marty86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, myself, have only driven gasser Ram's. Never the diesel. I drove and old, old 6.9 f250 once (pre-powerstroke), and have ridden in a 06 DMax, and 04 PS 6.0.

Those who said most people bash what they haven't experience, and its true. I have a friend who bought a f250 6.0 (different from the one above) because the salesmen told him he once went to buy a dodge 2500 and he closed the front door and the bumper fell off. Since buying that f250, he's convinced that Dodges fall apart that badly. He used to be a Mopar guy, but even now he hates them, all because of what that salesman said to get his sale.

People are intolerant of other people vehicles, normally because they have been given mis-information or are just ignorant. Its the truth. *shrugs* I try not to bash anything period. Above all, I try not to bash anything I know nothing about.
Marty86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM
  #11  
Muted User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SOUTHCENTRAL OHIO
Posts: 537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i will bash it if its truely junk, im with johnny5.9, if most of those guys spent 1/2 the time working as they did bragging, everyone would have a 1000 horse daily driver. the diesel truck pullers are the best, i got me a custom scheid turbo, big secret injectors, and that super duper secret pulling clutch, too bad the other 25 trucks in your class have the same thing and they all bought it from the same place as you did.
LOGAN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:59 PM
  #12  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rootremblay View Post
Why do duramax and powerstroke guys brag about an engine that cannot make the power of a cummins. Are not designed to last as long, and have to work twice as hard as a 12 valve that can make 1200 lbs torque at 2700 rpms to make their 700 lbs at 4000. Its not hard to see that cummins had the right idea in the 80's and didnt have to change much to this day to keep up with ford or chevys bright ideas It just gets to me sometimes, had to vent a little.
just when i thought there weren't as many morons on this site as other sites.
summit889 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:34 PM
  #13  
Registered User
 
BlackSunShyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by summit889 View Post
just when i thought there weren't as many morons on this site as other sites.
Says the guy with 12 posts....
BlackSunShyne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:53 PM
  #14  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 423
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry guys, I wasnt trying to bash anyone. and the conversion to 6.7 was for emission purposes. I believe they are all good vehicles also, but I still think the 5.9 cummins is a better engine than duramax and powerstroke. And I do agree that dodge has the cheapest built interior, but I have ridden in a 06 2500 4x4 6.0 power S. and it did not ride near as well as my dually, it rode like my old 90 model 4x4 cummins ( a tractor). I do believe if I had to change I would go with a duramax, but I dont have to, or want to change yet. I have owned 3 of them 90,96,98 and they have all been very reliable trucks, although I dont think we will ever see a more reliable truck than the 1st gen. cummins.
rootremblay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:50 PM
  #15  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 423
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't really appreciate being called a moron, I think around here people try to be a little more open minded to thoughts of other members and it is normally quite nice. And the reason I started this thread is because I like to engage positively to a forum whose members have helped me and taught me a lot about my truck. And normally it is nice to see the replies.
rootremblay is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stand up for the CTD!!!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.