General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Stand up for the CTD!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LOGAN
i will bash it if its truely junk, im with johnny5.9, if most of those guys spent 1/2 the time working as they did bragging, everyone would have a 1000 horse daily driver. the diesel truck pullers are the best, i got me a custom scheid turbo, big secret injectors, and that super duper secret pulling clutch, too bad the other 25 trucks in your class have the same thing and they all bought it from the same place as you did.

This fails to make any logical sense. Exactly what are you attempting to say?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will bash it if its truely junk, im with johnny5.9, if most of those guys spent 1/2 the time working as they did bragging, everyone would have a 1000 horse daily driver. the diesel truck pullers are the best, i got me a custom scheid turbo, big secret injectors, and that super duper secret pulling clutch, too bad the other 25 trucks in your class have the same thing and they all bought it from the same place as you did.
So what is wrong with buying aftermarket parts for a truck?? Its not like I can go out to my shop and build me a super duper secret pulling clutch. I have installed everything on my truck. And yes I like to take it to a occasional truck pull to see how well my truck runs! Sometimes its not the truck that wins the pull, it is the driver.

The 5.9 cummins was the first powerhouse and if not for it their might not have been a Duramax or powerstroke. And if it weren't for all 3 competing against each other we wouldn't have 350+ hp and 650+tq stock trucks now would we.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i aint downing putting aftermarket parts on their trucks, its the fact 90% of them that brag about all the "custom" "secret" stuff they got in their truck, and the truck right next to them has the exact same thing, and so do alot of other guys, what im saying is that alot of these "street" guys think they got the best setup ever and got all this special stuff, cummins, duramax, or powerstroke, most all pull within a few feet of each other. 90% of the cummins guys got the same thing, same with the duramax guys and the powerstroke guys, now every once in a while you get a stand out in the crowd and they clean house but soon people figure out what they got and everyone goes out and buys what they got. our hot street class at hillsboro a few years ago had 49 trucks in it, probably 40 were diesel, 25+ of the trucks, mostly cummins at the time, all pulled within probably 5 feet of each other, why??? cause they all got the same parts, we need some innovation for gods sake. i know of alot of diesel guys that only go by what they are sold, not from what they have learned, i would rather see someone pull a truck they have broke 4 or 5 times from trying to learn and from trying new things than the ones that only know how to spend money and buy the best of everything cause they think its cool.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that people mod their trucks not because they need to have 1000 hp and 2000 lbs of torque but because they have fun doing that. And even if the parts they use may be the same or close - who cares? There are always differences in how they install them, combine them or drive the truck, after all. It is all about having a good time with what you like. My neighbor is a great guy and he likes Fords. I will never bash his truck, but when it breaks down I will tease him. And he will tease me about mine. But either one of us would get under the others' truck to help out, or pull each other when we're stuck. It is all about guys' friendship and having fun. At least that's what I think.
-P
Old 07-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Muted User

im talking more about the owners than the trucks, its their mentality and how they act. you just got to spend 5 or 6 years around them, especially the ones around here, and you will understand alot more.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
I think that people mod their trucks not because they need to have 1000 hp and 2000 lbs of torque but because they have fun doing that. And even if the parts they use may be the same or close - who cares? There are always differences in how they install them, combine them or drive the truck, after all. It is all about having a good time with what you like. My neighbor is a great guy and he likes Fords. I will never bash his truck, but when it breaks down I will tease him. And he will tease me about mine. But either one of us would get under the others' truck to help out, or pull each other when we're stuck. It is all about guys' friendship and having fun. At least that's what I think.
-P

There - Exactly - this is what I was hoping we all would come to say.... Life is not a competetion, but it would be boring not to have a little along the way...
Old 07-20-2007, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
-P

Originally Posted by 96_12V
There - Exactly - this is what I was hoping we all would come to say.... Life is not a competetion, but it would be boring not to have a little along the way...

X 2. My B-I-L and I tease each other all the time. He has an 05 powerjoke. He calls mine a Cummapart... It is all in good fun. Incidently though, he said his next diesel truck will be an inline 6.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:33 AM

That's what I've said from the beginning. It just dumb to have these brand wars. If your truck does what you want it to do than it is a good truck period.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:02 AM

It's all personal preference in my opinion. If someone wants a bowtie or blue oval on the front of their V8 diesel pickup, fine with me. It burns the same fuel, makes the rattle, and has a little spinny thing that whistles. Each truck has it's strengths and weaknesses. When was the last time you saw any of the V8's taken out by a $0.02 alignment dowel? I love my Cummins, and owned two IDI Fords beforehand. Everyone now thinks diesels are cool cuz of the power. I had those Fords, neither made close to 150 hp regardless of the sticker on the motor. I loved them, wish I still had the one. I was diesel when diesel wasn't cool. I still love my diesels, all of em.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:50 AM

I agree with KAS83 - I bought mine because I like the way the Cummins sounds - the Duramax is too quiet ( a buddy of mine has one ) and I just don't like the sound of the Poerstroke at all. It's just personal preference to me - there's good and bad in all of them.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:24 PM

I dont care what they are... I'll work on them, and well thats what I like best. It doesnt matter if it has 8 cylinders or 6 cylinders, 5 mains or 7. A straight 6 is tough, thats why the majority of all farm equipment today has a I6. But a v8 will go there to. I don't care if International designs it or Isuzu or Cummins... all of those guys know what they're doing. They've been making diesels longer than some you have been driving them. But I've got to agree with LOGAN if I had the straight 6 of my choice it would be an International DT466, I'll bet all I'm worth that everyones life on this planet has been touched by one at some time. Ever built a house, theres a good chance that some of the materials were moved in on the back of a DT466 powered truck. They're tough. If you love the smell of burning diesel fuel, then I dont care what is on the grill of your truck, cause that truck is what you have to like, and that- is none of my business.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:12 PM

Everyone is very open-minded on this site, until it comes to the environment...
Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if the 5.9 was the best engine built they would still be 5.9 liters not 6.7 to keep up. sorry to **** on anyones parade but if it was my choice i would have a DT466 sorry but that is how i feel.
I agree with you on welcoming all brands, and I certainly respect the capabilities the other diesels have shown.

But I have to correct the assertion that the 5.9 was replaced because it can't "keep up". Power output is the LAST reason they would replace the 5.9.

The simple reality is that you can only squeeze so much HP from so few cubic inches and still meet NOx emissions. Does anyone honestly believe that a 5.9 can't comfortably make 350hp and 620+ tq?

No-- the reality is that as you increase "specific output" (hp per liter displacement) you hit a point where you can't meet NOx emission requirements because peak combustion temps are simply too high.

My 5.9 already has more power than a stock pickup will have for many years to come-- only it gets way better mileage and will last plenty long.

JH
Old 07-20-2007, 07:45 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hohn,

Isn't that what he meant? Keep up in stock condition with the current polution requirements. It's clear that Cummins had to re-design to stay ahead of the competition and meet the emmision standards. The I6 is obviously a better design than the V8s, and now it has a displacement advantage too.

No one is confused about how much a Cummins can do when bombed. But comparing a bombed Cummins to a stock Powerstroke is not a true comparison.

John
Old 07-23-2007, 05:21 PM

Wink

But reliability can be compared between all three designs, at all levels of power and there is one tried and true. The i6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stand up for the CTD!!!