General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

srw vs. drw

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Pulling a heavy fiver on a 2 lane road and blowing a driver tire...... Duals is the difference between "What was that noise?, and "Holy crap bangety boom."
Old 10-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pros and cons for both as all have stated..

I have a 3500 srw, but I have that because I don't tow often enough (my opinion) or heavy enough for justifying a dually, plus im off road a lot, and as stated duallys suck off road... so I went with a srw..

if I was towing every single day tho, dually would be the way to go.. they are much more stable to tow with, and you just feel safer with them due to the stability.. but the drawbacks are more tires to replace, and if you blow a tire the fenders are not cheap.. then again that's either srw or drw...

all depends on what you use the truck for, think of it like a 4x4, not may people use theirs everyday, or once a month, and some not at all...but its one of those things, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it..

same can be said of a dually, you are gonna tow? better to have a dually and not need it, than need it and not have it...

reason should take over here and help you pick whats practical for your use.. in my case my truck suits me just fine... don't tow often or heavy enough to need a dually, can still tow what a dually does, just have to be more leery of the situation, I can load the heck outta the bed with feed, corn and supplies, and finally extra traction up front to get me out of a bad road...
Old 10-06-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The nice thing about AAA with the RV coverage is that they cover the trailer too. That is if you don't follow rule #1 (don't go where you can get stuck) haha.

They did tow me once when I lost a front wheel bearing. 90 miles to the shop. Nothing out of my pocket.

As you said personal preference....how much inconvenience can you live with.

I don't mind it at all. For now as long as I get 20+ mpg I can live with it. The truck is long since paid for so I just have cost per mile to live with.