General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Racing technique with an auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hotmopr
one question that I have is when racing when do you guys find it best to hit the mystery switch? right after first gear shift or later?
I launch at 15psi boost (I have a 4x4), and as soon as it shifts to 2nd I hit the mystery switch. I have an 89% TC, and it doesn't feel like it does much in 2nd, but the shift to 3rd is much more positive. On my truck the mystery switch decreases E.T. by about .15. How much it changes yours will depend on your TC.

Paul
Old 02-04-2005, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry, im retarded haha, I guess i think of the input shaft like on a standard, But oh well
Old 02-06-2005, 09:20 PM

Well, i have the stock TC(soon to change) with a transgo shift kit, and when racing i flip the mystery switch while still in 1st, and as soon as it hits 2nd, it locks and we're gone! Thats a prime example looking at what paul b said, and what im about to say as to how unefficient the stock T.C. is. I have the stock T.C. He said locking his made his E.T. go down .15. Locking my stock converter lowers my 1/8th mile ET almost 1 full second!! That shows you how loose they are. I cant wait to get my tranny gone through with a new converter . But the way i race, is put it in 4wd, build about 10lbs of boost, and mash it, and let off the brake at the same time the light turns green. I loose a lot of time if i dont spool the turbo up because of lag, but if i run in 2wd, i have to leave with only 1-2 lbs or the tires dont like it much.

Eric
Old 02-07-2005, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by hotmopr
one question that I have is when racing when do you guys find it best to hit the mystery switch? right after first gear shift or later?
I hit mine right after it shifts to second, and then take it out of 4x4 (at least move the lever...). I have tried turning the switch on before launching, and letting it lockup at the same time it shift to second (mine won't lock up until in second), but that is pretty violent.

Paul
Old 02-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Banned

I leave the light (4X4) at 5 psi and that switch goes on AS SOON as I let off the brake. First gear lock-up. Lock-to-lock full power shifts will definitely test the ability of your trans builder.....if the input holds, then you have to worry about the front clutches....the weakest in the whole trans.....without the cushioning effect of the TC to dampen the shift a little, it puts a LOT of stress on everything else downline. Lot of controversy here.....DTT sais don't do it unless you want to pay for new bands/clutches.....ATS sais go for it, they love it. Who knows.....it should boil down to whether or not your trans builder will warrant abuse or not, and let's face it, it IS. I don't know many that will.

on the flip side, it's all about duty cycle. An occasional romp like that won't hurt anything too bad over a given length of time. But if you're 16 (mentally OR physically), and do it every time it goes into gear....you're destined for problems. And if your trans is otherwise stock other than a VB and converter or less, don't even try it. Your number is closer to being up than you know, and Murphy will climb into your back pocket with a vengeance.

Chris
Old 02-07-2005, 11:33 PM

Ok, I've noticed with this "mystery switch" that they're all on 2nd gen trucks... or is it just happening to be that way?

I had something similar in my 03 Hemi but the switch I had would lock the tranny into whatever gear I had selected with the shifter. It sounds close... bt not quite the same. Any further explanation on this?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:15 AM

I know this is an automatic thread, I had some serious problems with a 30psi launch trying to race my dmax buddy saturday night. I was in 4hi, spooled to 30psi by gently letting the clutch out and then dropped the clutch. My buddy takes off and I sit there going no where and the tires are just screaming. I let up on the loud pedal a split second and I was already 4-5 truck lengths behind. Grabbed 4th and finally hooked. Then got 5th to hook and went back around him right as his speed limiter kicked in. The best part? He just put in a full ATS & juice.

brandon.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:25 AM

i put her in 4 hi, spool her to 35psi..... and hang on. this woked all last year but i snaped my tcase last week!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:41 AM

Here's what I do and it works for me. I make sure that my water temp is normal. Avoid the water box if possible. Illuminate the pre-stage light and bring RPM's up to 1200 then illuminate the second light. When the last amber light is fully illuminated I go... My 04.5 600 3500 dually with the only mod being an Edge EZ I was running 9.90@73 consistantly in the 1/8. With the dually I don't have any traction problems if the track is prepped.

-Allen
Old 02-09-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by joefarmer
I know this is an automatic thread, I had some serious problems with a 30psi launch trying to race my dmax buddy saturday night. I was in 4hi, spooled to 30psi by gently letting the clutch out and then dropped the clutch. My buddy takes off and I sit there going no where and the tires are just screaming. I let up on the loud pedal a split second and I was already 4-5 truck lengths behind. Grabbed 4th and finally hooked. Then got 5th to hook and went back around him right as his speed limiter kicked in. The best part? He just put in a full ATS & juice.
brandon.
I hate you.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: JR

Originally posted by Shovelhead
Hmmmmm, you must be more familiar with the Ford method of transfering power to the rear wheels.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

HERE is how you do it in 4x4
Old 02-16-2005, 08:05 AM

Re: Diesel Dude

Originally posted by rjohnson

Question - You list having a 47RE HD...Is the HD for the 241 HD Transfer case?

RJ [/B]
yup plus I got the PTO option...which I'm not gonna use like I thought