Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Racing technique with an auto (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/racing-technique-auto-60288/)

jrs_dodge_diesel 02-01-2005 11:14 PM

Racing technique with an auto

What is the best way to get a good launch from a stop?

Gear in DRIVE, hold the brake, and givve it some throttle to build boost, then Release brake and mash the go pedal? Is that a good way to get a good launch?

ratsun 02-01-2005 11:30 PM

Re: Racing technique with an auto

Originally posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
What is the best way to get a good launch from a stop?

Gear in DRIVE, hold the brake, and givve it some throttle to build boost, then Release brake and mash the go pedal? Is that a good way to get a good launch?

Well.... I find if I power brake and build any boost the tires ignite and lanch sucks
It seems to leave better just mashing the skinny from idle and just hazing the tires thru low (seat of the pants meter[laugh] ) Our tracks first race isnt for a couple of months yet but when it opens I plan on trying it there to see for sure. I read some of the higher HP boys need 4x4 for hook.:o

StrokeThisCTD 02-01-2005 11:32 PM

if you can go without spinning the tires on that 2wd, building boost is best. Since i have a 4x4, i put it in 4hi, hold the brake and rev to 1600RPM, then let off and go. it gets off the line twice as good as AWD trucks do.

Shovelhead 02-02-2005 06:04 AM

I've found (depending on track conditions) that building about 10 pounds of boost will allow me to launch with minimum wheelspin. More than that and it's Smokin'.
Of course, I have 4 rear tires too. ;)

RowJ 02-02-2005 10:09 AM

JR

Your right..that is the way to do it. OK once in a while...don't make a practice of it!
Would suggest keeping it under 8-10 psi on the power breaking. Too much boost can set up a defueling scenario on the 01 & 02's; also possible to stress/break the input shaft on your tranny.
IMO it's playing with fire on any stock tranny...but I'm the cautious type.

RJ

Joe Diesel 02-02-2005 10:39 AM

drop it in 4x4 and don't mash into it it will take 1sec to fully enguage ease into it and then mash into it and don't forget to disengauge 4x4 when you are up to speed ;) :D

RowJ 02-02-2005 11:05 AM

Diesel Dude

-I believe JR said he has a 2X4!

-Also, FYI, moving out of 4X4 to 2X4 while at WOT will not disengage 4 wheel drive unless you back off the throttle to relieve pressure...not what we want to do on a trip down the strip! Just keep the wheel straight and ride it out. Surprisingly, to me, no one I know has ever had damage from being in 4X4 at the end of the 1/4 mile...even well over 100 MPH!

Question - You list having a 47RE HD...Is the HD for the 241 HD Transfer case?

RJ

kingofdodge7131 02-02-2005 08:51 PM

Re: JR

Originally posted by rjohnson
; alsopossible to stress/break the imput shaft on your tranny.
IMO it's playing with fire on any stock tranny!

RJ

Um Automatics dont have input shafts, not that im aware of anyway

hotmopr 02-02-2005 09:13 PM

Re: Re: JR

Originally posted by kingofdodge7131
Do to silly :D They are what goes in the converter. In short, the converter bolts to the flywheel and runs the tranny pump. The fluid coupling in the converter transfers power through the input shaft to the tranny. and through many hydraulic paths and sequences power is applied to the tires.
Wanna learn more go here..
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm

Timinva 02-02-2005 09:52 PM

Normally, boosted launches in 4wd will break the output shaft not input. Stock shafts you are taking chances above 15 lbs of boost. Some break some dont. Tim

BoostdCTD 02-02-2005 09:52 PM

Yea they do have input shafts, they just don't break as frequently as some of the NV4500ers.

Wow, I always wondered how they'd disengage 4x4 going down the strip. I never would have guessed that it could go 100mph without a problem, I've always been told to not go over like 55mph in 4wd.

jrs_dodge_diesel 02-03-2005 04:50 AM

Its not speed that binds up t-cases. Its when turning. The difeerence in distances that the axles have to travel, the rotational speed is different between the axles and it binds up the t-case.

Shovelhead 02-03-2005 06:13 AM

Re: Re: JR

Originally posted by kingofdodge7131

Hmmmmm, you must be more familiar with the Ford method of transfering power to the rear wheels.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/images...ubberBand2.jpg

mikmaze 02-03-2005 06:36 AM

^^^ thats not nice showing pictures of the inside of Ferds 06 heavy duty trasnfer case before its official release date[laugh]

hotmopr 02-03-2005 08:10 PM

one question that I have is when racing when do you guys find it best to hit the mystery switch? right after first gear shift or later?