Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

another pulling technique question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another pulling technique question

when i watch all these truck pulling in videos, i see them sit at the line and slowly raise RPMS as well as bring up the boost and really blowing smoke, are these guys slipping the clutch and putting a load on the engine the whole time or are they building that power just from idling then holding it at 3krpms and slipping the clutch out. i always thought you needed a load to make the engine come up to power like that but i dont see how they can sit there for 15-30 seconds revving, blowing smoke, building boost slipping the clutch without the truck moving
Old 07-03-2006, 05:46 PM

When i pull, i take it to redline and start letting out on the clutch. I try not to slip it anymore than i have to. HOLD IT TO THE FLOOR AND NAIL IT!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:12 PM
DTR's "Secret Agent"

Originally Posted by W.F.O.
When i pull, i take it to redline and start letting out on the clutch. I try not to slip it anymore than i have to. HOLD IT TO THE FLOOR AND NAIL IT!!!
and pray to god it still has oil pressure afterwards!!
Old 07-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by W.F.O.
i will be running the 3850 12cb or 12fb...not sure yet. you have more power than i do and you have the street comp and if its holding up to sled pulling then i may go with the more street freindly CB and not the FB
Old 07-03-2006, 07:16 PM

Well i like my clutch, but i hooked it for the first time lastnite, so i can't really say too much about it. It's plenty grabby on the street, i can tell you that! I love the sound out it though!
Old 07-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

hmmm, ill have to talk to peter and see what he recommends, ill be hooking about 8-10 times a year with right around 500hp
Old 07-03-2006, 07:27 PM

Ive noticed 2 different methods one is the way W.F.O described and another is to slowly start letting out the clutch and add fuel until the turbo is lit.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SmokinDodge12V
Ive noticed 2 different methods one is the way W.F.O described and another is to slowly start letting out the clutch and add fuel until the turbo is lit.
i assume that this method is a lil harder on the clutch
Old 07-04-2006, 08:41 AM

Jesse,
Whats the other method?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Banned

bringing it up to redline then slowly letting the clutch out and letting it slip just a little

or

letting the clutch out while giving slowly giving it fuel until you get the turbo lit, this method would be harder i think because the truck would start to move before you get the turbo lit
Old 07-04-2006, 09:13 AM

The latter method you just described wont work.

"letting it slip just a little" will result in a dip in rpms....thats a sign of an inexperienced puller (I know cause I used to do it that way )

You want to raise the rpm's (in gear) (clutch depressed) foot to floor...start letting it out...feel it start to grab...(but do not let the rpm's fall)....maintain rpm's at redline until clutch is fully released....The amount of time to slip is up to you and how your truck lights up.

Forget the "boost" word. Only worry about your rpm's. Worrying about boost or watching boost gauges WILL burn up sledpulling clutches.

Many sledpull only about half know how to drive correctly with a pulling clutch.

Sorry if I sound like I am giving a lecture or something...but it might save you from broken parts or a burnt up clutch.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
The latter method you just described wont work.

"letting it slip just a little" will result in a dip in rpms....thats a sign of an inexperienced puller (I know cause I used to do it that way )

You want to raise the rpm's (in gear) (clutch depressed) foot to floor...start letting it out...feel it start to grab...(but do not let the rpm's fall)....maintain rpm's at redline until clutch is fully released....The amount of time to slip is up to you and how your truck lights up.

Forget the "boost" word. Only worry about your rpm's. Worrying about boost or watching boost gauges WILL burn up sledpulling clutches.

Many sledpull only about half know how to drive correctly with a pulling clutch.
when you feel it start to grab how do you maintain rpms without them starting to fall off when the load is placing on the engine?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:25 AM

Thats where the slipping comes in my friend...
As you begin to slip it out the engines power will increase (boost increase with load) and it will maintain rpm's...
As you begin to slip you will feel the tires start to move you just have to juggle all this...finesse....you will learn more everytime you pull.

Another thing to remember is that there is no usage of the brake while boosting on the line. The sled will give you all the resistance in the world.

If you kill the engine NEVER hit the brakes the sled will stop you.
Also do not use the brakes at the end of the pull.

What ends your pull is usually spinning out or the engine will be killed from load....you'll know which one when it happens.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Banned

so basically i just bring it up to about 3k (24v with no top end fueling devices) and start bringing the clutch out, and if its starts to dip push it back in a bit...backl and forth until you get it going...not too hard for someone who drives the way i do

at the track im just used to the 3k rpms and dump it in 2nd gear.

im gonna be using 4th gear 4lo to pull i think, i have about 470/900 with 3.54's and 35" tires
Old 07-04-2006, 09:38 AM

4lo sounds good for your power and tires.
If the track is super loose you might want to give 2hi a try.

Quick Reply: another pulling technique question