General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

possible demise of the d-max??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible demise of the d-max??

found this on fred's tdi site.(www.autoblog.com/2006/11/07/t...-5-9-of-isuzu/ ) hope it works.seems toyota bought the shares of isuzu that gm just dumped.also an article on autonews.quote"toyota and isuzu would continue to supply GM from ventures for the time being.but added that japan's top automaker was looking to utilize the plants for future u.s. and euro demand".also a story on autoblog of toyota's plan for world domination,could it be that they are slowly trying to take over GM??they already make the pontiac vibe.on a positive note for GM i see i believe it was for the 3rd quarter that they only lost 91 million instead of 115 as earlier reported.peanuts compared to fords 5.8 billion.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:21 PM

That article is a joke, How can toyota CONTINUE to suppy GM, when they never suppied them in the first place.
Besides that, GM owns D-Max LTD outright.

"December 1998 a joint venture was formed between GM and Isuzu Motors called DMax LTD. DMax LTD is the final assembly facility in Moraine Ohio.

1999 GM increases it’s ownership of Isuzu to 49%. GM now has controlling interest in Isuzu.

August 2002 GM lessens it’s overall ownership of Isuzu to 12% and at the same time takes full control of DMax LTD and acquires rights and technology of Isuzu Motors diesel operations. This includes factories and all engine designs.

Duramax models…

2001 – 2004 LB7 300HP/520TQ
2004.5 - 2005 LLY 310HP/605TQ
2006 – limited 2007 LBZ 360HP/650TQ
2007 – current LMM 365HP/660TQ

All Duramax final production comes from Moraine, Ohio.

The LB7 was designed by Isuzu.
The LLY most if not all changes to the design mandated by GM. (fuel rails external to the valve covers, VVT).
LBZ is extensively changed by GM. (block, piston design, compression ratio, intake, fuel delivery, turbo psi, ECM, etc)
LMM additional changes to meet ultra low sulfer diesel regulations

Some of this can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMAX"

If you follow the link, it shows that on Aug. 14, 2002 GM got all of the engine part of Isuzu. So how can the evil toyota company stop GM from getting there own engines?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
because GM sold their stake in Isuzu and Mitsubishi UFJ (not ther car manufacturing arm of Mits)and Itochu Corp. bought it up, then they sold those shares to Toyota. From what I`ve read, it remains to be seen how this will affect the GM/Isuzu/DMax deal. It probably won`t have any immediate action due to standing contracts etc between the the two companies...Looks like I might have to learn how to fix D Max`es sometime soon?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the d-max is not going away.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by rjm022
the d-max is not going away.
unfortunately
Old 11-15-2006, 08:16 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyGA
unfortunately
Why do you say this, because it's not the engine you'd own? Well, there are a lot of people out there who do own them, and it's absolutely not going away. I have had my fair share of diesel trucks now. My father has a Duramax and it's one heck of a truck. He beats it to DEATH and it keeps on going. Give credit where credit is due, and own what you want. Just don't blame others for owning something different.

Keep in mind folks, without the other brands out there, the Cummins would be nowhere near where it is today, and neither would these trucks.

I'm voting that your comment be thrown into the useless pile, and have removed one from your post count
Old 11-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
I'm voting that your comment be thrown into the useless pile, and have removed one from your post count
Wow, when Jack disagrees with you he sure knows how to show it!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:13 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I was only kidding. I promise! LOL
Old 11-15-2006, 12:29 PM

Part 1

Man, I am glad that by abiding by the rules around here gets you this kind of negativity. Sheesh, guess I will have to try and get some of those little red boxes like some of the others now. I see people on here giving vendors hell and all they get is really nothing. I guess opinions are no longer allowed.

Now for part 2

Okay, I am glad we live in America.

Given the number of injector issues I have encountered with friends with DMAX's and the issues they have had trying to get them replaced, I therefore make my comment "Unfortunately". I get tired of hearing them crying about, "dang i like my truck, but it has been in the service dept X many times."

If the statement were to be made that, Stock transmissions are here to stay., guess what, I would then again say, UNFORTUNATELY! As I have my OD in mine hating me with the SMARTY, but that is my fault. I take the responsability of not leaving the SMARTY on 3 and instead bumping it to 9 and then turning the banks 6 gun up to 3. Quick combo if the trans does not slip. guess I will just have to inquire a little debt if the trans goes out, why not, I am in the hole $20k now for the truck in my sig and photo gallery.

I am glad that a comment that was really supposed to be a bit of humor caused the wrong side of the bed to replace where you roll out each morning.

I was only kidding. I promise! LOL

Oh yeah...I was only kidding. I promise!
Old 11-15-2006, 01:23 PM

Your not living up to your name Happy....Can't we all just get along?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:20 PM

That is just it, i thought I had been....

But no worries, I take Jack's statement as a joke, as I hope it was.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:43 PM

It's funny how everyone (But the owners themselves!) seem to know SO many with problems. Well I am here to tell you I know 7 Duramax owners locally (Myself included!) that all have well over 75,000 miles, and not a single injector problem yet. (A couple have over 160,000 miles.) I know it's not high mileage, but to hear some non owners talk, the injectors all go out before you get home from the dealer when new.

toyota has no say in when/if GM discontinues the Duramax engine.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:42 AM

I believe that the new common rail cummins, and the duramax all use the same style injector pump and injectors from bosch!! I've heard cummins with injectors dropping out, i'm sure duramax has had these problems also. What about the ford 6.oh no, do they use these same injectors and pump? Shouldn't we be blaming bosch for the injectors failing?

I'm just happy that diesel powered vehicles are becoming popular here in the states, I think that everyone should be driving one, and not just in trucks but in cars also!! We just need the manufacturers, no matter which one, to build quality products. It doesn't matter who builds it they will all have problems in the beginning.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned

dmax and CR cummins use very similar fuel systems. Ford/Navistar uses a compltely different HEUI (hyrdro electric unit injection) system.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
Ford/Navistar uses a compltely different HEUI (hyrdro electric unit injection) system.
I knew this about the 7.3L but I wasn't sure about the 6.0L. Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: possible demise of the d-max??