General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Newbie - How about a quick lesson?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie - How about a quick lesson?

Bought a '99 Ram 2500 4X4, QC, LWB, CTD, 5-SP Manual last month. I've been reading stuff on this site, and have posted a couple of questions. Here's a biggie:

Can you guys give me a lesson on what I should do to keep this truck from falling apart? It sounds like there are constant issues with the lift pump, and possibly the fuel injectors. Also, whats a VP-44?

I guess to be more specific, can you give me ideas on:
- how do I check for codes?
- how do you install a fuel pressure guage? Can one be installed without having to install a pretty expensive isolator?
- What sensors should be checked regularly?
- I've already done an overhead valve adjustment, which helped somewhat on fuel mileage, and changed the fuel filter - but mileage is still pretty low (below 15).
- The engine vibrates and is louder than most. My next door neighbor has a '99 which has been chipped and piped, and still doesn't sound as loud or idle as rough. The idle is always dead-on 850RPMs, but its rough.
- Clutch is bad, so I'm replacing it. Anything I should do while the transfer case and stuff is out?

Thanks for any/all help!! I have a friend with a '96 who is more mechanically inclined that myself, but I learn pretty quickly!!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:55 PM

what did u say? truck falling apart? u must have been a ford guy in ur former life and believe all that propaganda ...the only issue you'll have with that truck is fuel pressure/fuel pump/lif pump issues....get urself a fuel pressure gauge for those 24 valves and keep ur eye on that to avoid expensive pump replacements....that vp44 is kind of a weak pump that likes to act up.....ive never heard of injector issues or any other issues for that truck for that matter......

ps good job and choice on the 5 speed!! i would have done it all over id get a 5 speed
Old 01-04-2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nitecap
Bought a '99 Ram 2500 4X4, QC, LWB, CTD, 5-SP Manual last month. I've been reading stuff on this site, and have posted a couple of questions. Here's a biggie:

Can you guys give me a lesson on what I should do to keep this truck from falling apart? It sounds like there are constant issues with the lift pump, and possibly the fuel injectors. Also, whats a VP-44?
The VP-44 is the fuel injection pump. No problems with the injectors, just the pump. Its a bit expensive to replace.

I guess to be more specific, can you give me ideas on:
- how do I check for codes?
You need a code reader for your year I think, not intirely certain on that one though. Mine does but its a 98
- how do you install a fuel pressure guage? Can one be installed without having to install a pretty expensive isolator?
I did it with out, now I am waiting on the rest of the parts to do it with. Dont like the smell of diesel in the cab. Instructions are pretty simple. Cut into the fuel line going to the VP-44 between the fuel filter and the VP-44 and run a spliter off that to the gauge (highly recommend through a isolator).
- What sensors should be checked regularly?
I just check them when they throw codes...
- I've already done an overhead valve adjustment, which helped somewhat on fuel mileage, and changed the fuel filter - but mileage is still pretty low (below 15).
Way too low, what gearing do you have? I get 17.5 if I am heavy on the go fast peddle.
- The engine vibrates and is louder than most. My next door neighbor has a '99 which has been chipped and piped, and still doesn't sound as loud or idle as rough. The idle is always dead-on 850RPMs, but its rough.
Maybe timing? I think I chipped a tooth and messed up my timing on mine when I did the VP-44 change out by dropping a washer down the front and its been running a bit rough since then... I will check the timing when I change the front seal.
- Clutch is bad, so I'm replacing it. Anything I should do while the transfer case and stuff is out?
Check for noticable leaks.

Thanks for any/all help!! I have a friend with a '96 who is more mechanically inclined that myself, but I learn pretty quickly!!
Welcome to the club! You have a good truck!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:52 PM

Do a search for after market clutch , one of the weak points especaily if your going to add HPs , the ruff idle could be an number of things , valve adjustment [ you did it but is it right] then also injectors bad spray , dirty , pluged , but check the basics 1st before looking for the exspensive problums . if you just got it do all the maintainance so you can get it on a scedual [ the number 11 remember , try to find that many fluids and change all ] .
Old 01-04-2006, 08:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I was pretty much thinking the fuel pressure guage isolator was a necessity, but just asked... I'll end up buying the isolator...

I would love to figure out what the rough idle is all about, but first things first. I gotta get that clutch fixed!! I was driving on the freeway today, downshifted from 5th to 4th because traffic slowed way down - found my hole to get into the next lane - took off pretty fast, and... just wound up the engine without going any faster! Clutch was slipping under any sort of load at all... Oh well. I got a great deal on the truck.

Already had the bed sprayed. A kid that lives up the street works for a 4X4 performance shop and can get me a chip for about $300. I have the Power Max II chip and controller in it, but I think the guy messed it up pretty bad. I tried to bump it up on the controller from zero to 3, and it really made the truck run like crap - plus the clutch slip. I think that chip and controller is specifically for increasing load torque. I'll be towing a 30' boat (13K), but only a few times a year.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:55 PM

I've heard you can take it to autozone and they can check the codes. bring your fp guage off of the top of the fuel filter canister by removing the left plug, run a copper oil line inside to your guage. better have that ip checked out good, that may be your vibration and crappy running problem.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:59 PM

I was having the kdp jig fix on my truck done ( not sure if I needed it for my 99 or not but better safe than sorry ) The guy doing the fix noticed that the fan clutch bearing was shot. the fan was probably always engaged and I could never rev it above 2500 rpm without the engine vibrating alot. After the new fanclutch was put in it smoothed right out .
Old 01-05-2006, 06:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Top 5 pProblems I've been having with mine (still wouldn't give it up)
5. Lift pump and VP (VP would have prolly been fine if I had actually gotten the guage on sooner instead of leaving it in the garage until I got around to it )
4. A/C evap box is poorly designed and condensation sits in it. My coil rotted and cost $800 to replace. The new one was 1/4 shorter so it should stay out of the water.
3. overhead comp display odometer died, but the rest of the functions work fine.
2. fuel guage died, then next day came back to life. Still not sure why.
The number one problem with my truck.........The POS plastic all over the thing The dash is falling apart, the glasses comp on the overhead broke and the light on the overhead fell into many pieces.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:29 AM

I just put fuel in today again. This time I got 13.84 mpg. Way lower than everyone else I've talked with. I'm wondering if its that Power Max chip and controller. I'm wanting to remove it, but don't really know how. There is no controller on the engine I can find. There are cables and wires that run inside to the control box located in the cab.

So how do I test the injectors or the pump? Is it simply fuel pressure related?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Registered

mpg depends on how you drive it and where you drive it. around on the farm, lots of starting and stopping. I only get 12 to 14. and I have got as high as 20 on the interstate. My dad has 4:10's and his is like 11 or 12 farm and 15 on the road
Old 01-06-2006, 09:16 AM

True, Blackdiesel02. I mainly drive to/from work, which is a lot of starting and stopping. Lots of shifting. I still think I should be getting at least 15 or so.

Tenbrooks: Can you explain what I need to get checked out? The ip?