General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

A new one on me....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A new one on me....

Set out on a short road trip this afternoon to go look at a gooseneck trailer. I decided to stop off at the convenience store by my house to get a soft drink for the road. I parked right in front of the doors, rolled up the windows, left my truck running, locked the doors with the remote and went in the store. When I was waiting in line to pay, I look out and notice this cop leaning on the trash can right in front of my truck and he's thumbing through his Ordinances booklet. I look around and he parked his motorcycle on the passenger side of my truck right by the outlet of my 4" straight pipe, so I'm thinking, "great he's gonna hassle me about my loud pipe".

I pay for my drink and walk out towards my truck and the cop says, "is that your vehicle?"

I reply, "yes, sir, it is."

Cop says, "do you know you can get a ticket for leaving your truck running while you go into the store?"

I said, "huh ?"

He said, "yes, that's illegal and is the main cause for people getting their cars stolen."

I politely said, "no, I didn't know that.... I'll be sure to shut it off next time" and got in my truck and left.

Personally I think he was annoyed by my exhaust, must have looked under the truck and saw there was no muffler and was thumbing through his ordinances to see if he could write me on it. I think he either couldn't find what he was looking for in time and didn't want to look like a dumba$$ looking through his book in front of me, or he couldn't find anything he could legal write me on. Either way, I think he just made up that crap about illegal to leave my truck running while I went into the store. I mean, if it gets stolen... that's my fault. Where the legality issue?
Old 09-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Administrator

I've heard that before. I stopped at a Texaco station in Petersburg Virginia and did basically the same thing. This young fellow said that leaving your vehicle running while unattended was against the law in Florida and they would write you a ticket. Oh well.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you mean a "no ideling" law like they are coming up with for the big trucks? or this something different
Old 09-24-2004, 07:17 PM

I believe that it is true that it is illegal to leave a vehicle running "unattended".

It figures though, since it would make it easier for someone to steal it, let's give a ticket to the victim for making it too easy for the criminal.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:19 PM

In Texas, if you leave the keys in the ignition (doesn't even have to be running) you can get a ticket. The reason, as mentioned above, is to reduce car theft.

545.404. UNATTENDED MOTOR VEHICLE. An operator may
not leave the vehicle unattended without:
(1) stopping the engine
(2) locking the ignition
(3) removing the key from the ignition
(4) setting the parking brake effectively;
(5) if standing on a grade, turning the
front wheels to the curb/side of highway

~Rob
Old 09-24-2004, 07:27 PM

remember, this country is run by lawyers and insurance companies!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:33 PM

Yesterday I saw a Golden Lab sitting behind the wheel of an SUV with the engine running. Happens regularly this time of year. Reckon there's a law against keeping the dog cool?
Nat
Old 09-24-2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
I've heard that before. I stopped at a Texaco station in Petersburg Virginia and did basically the same thing. This young fellow said that leaving your vehicle running while unattended was against the law in Florida and they would write you a ticket. Oh well.
That would be correct, for the same reason Mechanos was told. It is the perfect oppertunity for theft. I have been warned, I explained, then received an OK or don't do it again, about leaving mine running like that. The thing is, I have a remote starter which has a 'pit-stop' mode. This allows me to leave her running, take the key with me, and lock the door. I simply told the cop there were anti-theft measures built into the system.
1: The doors are locked.
2: The steering wheel and gear selector are locked.
3: The system shuts down and relocks the doors if the brake pedal is depressed, without the key in the ingnition and ignition turned on.
4: And, it will only run for 12 minutes like that.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by firestorm
That would be correct, for the same reason Mechanos was told. It is the perfect oppertunity for theft. I have been warned, I explained, then received an OK or don't do it again, about leaving mine running like that. The thing is, I have a remote starter which has a 'pit-stop' mode. This allows me to leave her running, take the key with me, and lock the door. I simply told the cop there were anti-theft measures built into the system.
1: The doors are locked.
2: The steering wheel and gear selector are locked.
3: The system shuts down and relocks the doors if the brake pedal is depressed, without the key in the ingnition and ignition turned on.
4: And, it will only run for 12 minutes like that.
Yup, same thing here.
I haven't tested it, but mine is only supposed to run for 10 minutes.
I also set the alarm when I do this.

If this ever happened to me,
I'd invite the nice police officer to play the part of the would be thief and hop in and try to take off.

I have gotten funny looks from folks seeing me get out of the truck and put the keys in my pocket.

phox
Old 09-24-2004, 08:44 PM

On any federal military property it is unlawful to leave a running vehicle unattended. No matter if it has an anti-theft built in or not. They site safety and not theft as the cause. To many cars rolling into others or kids putting them in gear while parents are in the shop.

Remember if you make something "Idiot Proof" they will just make a better idiot!
Old 09-24-2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by phox_mulder
I have gotten funny looks from folks seeing me get out of the truck and put the keys in my pocket.

phox
I have gotten those looks too, but the best part is the looks on the peoples faces, when they are in front of the truck, it starts, and there is nobody in it . Even better when they watch me walk up to my truck, get in, and drive away .
Old 09-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We have that law here as well.
If you leave your vehicle running in your own driveway, unattended, you can be sited.
Also, if your vehicle is stolen while you left it running in your driveway, not only will YOU get the ticket, the insurance wont cover it.

Just the way it is around here.
Rich
Old 09-24-2004, 11:56 PM

I don't know that it is so much the theft of it, as the potential high speed chases that follow. I mean what does the thief have to lose if he totals out your truck, kills 6 or 7 people and then spends a week or two in jail?

Remember we don't want any of our criminals to get hurt. If one steals your vehicle because you left it running you are at fault because he wouldn't have even considered stealing it if you had turned off the engine.

Criminals have the rights and protection of the law. Just read an article on this and it is worse in England. A guy's house had been burglarized like 6 times, then he catches two of them breaking in after they wake him up, he ends up killing one of them and wounding the other. He is sentenced to life in prison and the criminal serves 18 months. Then to top it off the government gives the criminal about $9000 to sue the guy that shot him because he is now crippled.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:48 AM

It's illegal in Illinois too.

The main reason is for theives and "unattended" motorvehicles to suddenly change into gear and cause and accident.

James
Old 09-25-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Article I read about Calif's anti-idle law for pollution reduction said that 38 states already had the same law.

Quick Reply: A new one on me....