General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Lost My Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost My Truck

Well today really S*#ckeda**!!!!!!
Got a phone call from the police and the were nice enough to inform me that my 98 2wd extcab dually was stolen. Which means I legally bought, registered, insured and bombed a stolen truck. They where nice enough to let me take as much of the after market goodies off as I could get. When I took my truck down to them to get confirmation that it was stolen they informed me that it had at least 3 different vin #'s on it! So they told me I am basically screwed and I have no recouse at all, so good bye to truck and money.
So consicentially I am now looking for another CTD!

Anybody got one sale!!!!!!!1

Shawn
Old 05-06-2005, 06:21 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And the rest of the story...................?

What a bummer! Where did you get the truck? If it was stolen, how was it registered?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:27 AM

Yeah that does Suck. I mean if you bought it at a dealer, this and that, and registered it and titled it, that's kinda odd. Yeah sometimes that can happen and with dealers these days (basically crooks) who knows. I mean everybody is in the market for a car, and every business works off of making money but it should be a set price, not this guy pays 5k over, this guy 1k under, this and that. Buying a car is like an auction, you go with money and hope to get lucky. I feel for you man, nobody selling around here (RI) and I'm taking it you want another one like you had?? but I'll keep and eye out up here.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:49 AM

whoa Shawn that really sucks.....and makes me think. I just bought a 12V in Calgary and didnt even check it out or run the VIN. The guy I bought it from told me he was one of Calgary's finest - hopefully the same wont happen to me. Its real easy to get burned these days.

Good Luck.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Cloned vehicles and vin switches are really on the rise. Hopefully you know where to find the guy who sold you this rig...

Also, check with your insurance. Who knows, maybe theft insurance will cover part of your loss.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:03 AM

I m curious as to the rest of the story? You may not know some of it though I know.

1. How long did you have the truck? You did mods etc, must have been alittle while.
2. Why / how did it take the authorities so long to figure it out? Did you have a vehicle inspection that turned up a different vin? They must have been sure before they took the truck that it wasn t a crash repair?

3. How did you buy it? Where? When? etc etc....

A 98 12v is pretty rare, if it had three different vins on, there were some swapped parts? I ve heard of trhis happeneing before but never what was implied as to sometime later. Is the seller liable or is it possible he/she did not know? And that brings up my last question.....when was it stolen? Is some guy going to get his truck back that was stolen 7 years ago? Or does the state/province resell it after they re vin it, efectively stealing it from you?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:37 AM

I would suggest consulting a lawyer. If you purchased form a dealer you DO have recourse. Sadly, if you bought from a private party, you likely may not unless your lawyer can pull a few strings!

Always, always, always run a carfax & check the VIN #. Lots and lots of scams going around today, especially on the internet.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:57 AM

Does Carfax work in Canada??
Old 05-06-2005, 11:47 AM

I feel for you bud, Hope something works out for you. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 05-06-2005, 01:42 PM

I fail to understand how you could even register any vehicle and have it come up as stolen at a later date. What is the rest of the story? From a dealer? Private party? Length of ownership?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:54 PM

I bought it from a private owner. They bought from some other guy. The vin # that was used to regester the truck was from a 98 1 ton dually that was wrote off and never entered into the system. Police say I may have some recourse but want me to wait till tue of next week. I owned the truck now for 6 months. The cops did let me take 90% of my mods off. Insurace will not cover anything because it is a stolen vehicle. Lean search showed up nothing and I don't know if we have Carfax hear in Canada.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:00 PM

I just bought a 98 3/4 ton 12 in Calgary....now youve got me worried....lol.

I hope things work out for you.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:32 PM

check the door, dash, radmount and under the carpet on passenger side. If they all match you are good to go.

Thanks

Shawn
Old 05-06-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Make the cops PROVE its stolen if you have a bill of sale. Cops do not decide ownership, judges do. Obviously, the original victom collected insurance and is "whole". So why can't you keep it? Make them PROVE it in a court of law. I would at least call an attorney NOW.

Sounds like they local PD might need a red neck undercover vehicle.

Never mind, you live in Canada. You loose.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:02 PM

OK, Makes a little more sense now. The best thing if you want any recourse is to start dicussing the situation with an attourney. Man, I would be so mad you would see the smoke up there from here. Good luck and keep us informed.
Tom

Quick Reply: Lost My Truck