Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Idiot light for block heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well ........mabe ill get bravor and start it leaving plugged while it is warming up........at least on a isb its not very hard to change.........like you do not have to remove a starter or somthin.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Shovelhead
I wrap a piece of velcro around the steering wheel at the 12:00 position when I plug the truck in.

I haven't forgotten to unplug since I started doing this.
Where is the picture that is normally attached to this post??
Old 01-05-2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Top
Seems to me that is a pretty good life span on the heater itself, the cord was replaced once because of "Dakar's dummy" visiting me as well
Man that little dude gets around! Afraid to mention some of the other things he's done lately

In the mean time i'll just try to 'member to pull the dang plug before driving away in the morning and/or the velcro/similar idea until i can experiment and think this thru some more... too bad the brain is seldom fully engaged at O'dark:30, loaded with caffiene-yes but not quite fully engaged, maybe needs a new clutch or something.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss
Where is the picture that is normally attached to this post??
Go back to sleep Hoss..........

I've retired my ISPI picture.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:05 PM

Wink

I laminated a 3’ x 6” card that says “Block heater plugged in”. When I do plug in I set it on the seat to remind me. Its cheap and it works.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:37 AM

I done went and did a STUPID thing last night. Got home and pulled the hood release, planning on plugging the truck in later that evening. Plum forgot all about it. Got up this morning, started the truck, got the kid all buckled in and headed out. Got about 2 miles down the road when to my delight, the hood comes straight up. Thank goodness it was on a country back road and I wasn't going that fast. Doesn't seem to be any damage to the hinges and I was able to climb up on the bumper to pull the hood back down. Didn't go past verticle when it popped up. Bet your "sweet angel" I don't do that again!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:04 AM

Thats it!!!! Anyone spotting my "block heater dummy" running around is required to squash him! A 16lb sledge hammer comes to mind... If nothing else this thread has managed to stop any more of them orange snakes this week
Old 01-22-2004, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Shovelhead
...Proactive short term: To prevent or decrease the risk of this occurring to an engine which frequently idles for long periods of time in arctic temperatures, Cummins recommends the following:

Use of a winter front on these trucks ...
Quick question? What is a "winter front"? Is it one of those canvas (or similar) radiator covers that you see zipped onto the front of the commercial rigs? Has anyone seen (or got) one of these on a RAM?
Old 01-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I started with 5 cords this winter and am down to 2. I watched Megs drive away with that orange snake twice. Not sure where the other one went.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:27 PM

There was another thread about installing a permanent plug on the truck to plug into instead of having a cord dangling from their truck. We have a plug installed on the ambulances and firetrucks to charge the batteries when not in use. They make a permanently installed plug that will auto-eject when you start up your truck. Kinda makes it idiotproof you get in the ambulance in a hurry to go on a call, and forget to unplug the shoreline. You start the truck and you hear the reassuring pop as the plug spits out the cord.

Here's a link to one
Old 01-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Banned

a bit $$$$$ for the average joe.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by spots
a bit $$$$$ for the average joe.
Idiot proof is expensive
Old 01-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by BensBud
Quick question? What is a "winter front"? Is it one of those canvas (or similar) radiator covers that you see zipped onto the front of the commercial rigs? Has anyone seen (or got) one of these on a RAM?
Yes on both counts. There are three kinds - the vinyl covers you're talking about, the inserts from Lund that snap into the the open spaces in the grill, and the traditional sheet of cardboard. I have not found any of these to be necessary on my truck, but then again I don't exactly live on the frozen tundra.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by spots
Wrap the cord around the drivers side mirror. You can't forget that way.
BTW at the fire-hall we have the trucks plugged into air and hydro. We routed the hoses through the door handles because so many were being ripped off the walls and chasing the trucks down the street.
We use the method Spots posted at work.
Haven't lost a cord yet.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:45 AM

Saving the idiot light project until after things thaw out as well... meanwhile I loop the cord through the the garage door opener string when i plug her in. Pretty visible reminder that so far has resulted in no more orange snakes (YET).

But the plug in the side of the bumper is definately a much cleaner way to go compared to hanging out of the front grill.

Quick Reply: Idiot light for block heater