Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Idiot light for block heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Granted I haven't exactly plugged my truck in more than three times (literally), but it seems the simplest thing to do is to just drape the cord over your driver's side mirror while it's plugged in. I realize we all have our stupid moments now and then....and nothing is foolproof.....but it's pretty hard to miss a big orange cord hanging on your mirror.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well how about one of those 120V little round button type light thingys that they have in light switch face plates to tell you the lights are on somewhere if they are concealed from the switch position, you woud have to splice into your heater cord but that should be no big deal.
Drill a hole somewhere for the little light in the cab and plugged in its on unplugged it off.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the guy that wanted a on-board warning light.

It would be pretty easy to install a 120V relay in-line with the block heater, just mount on the side of the inter fender. Then on on one of the normally open contacts, have a 12V feed that is switched on on side and the 12v+ from a indicator light on the other. When the block heater is plugged in, the relay changes state, and the contacts mate. The light says off, till you turn the ignition key, and then it pops on to let you know you are still plugged in. Un-plug the block heater and the light goes off. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:34 AM

Talking

Geez you guys. The ground is white. It is -30. The truck started and is not running like a bag of (stuff). It IS plugged in. Whats so tough?
Old 01-24-2004, 06:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by y-knot
To the guy that wanted a on-board warning light.

It would be pretty easy to install a 120V relay in-line with the block heater, just mount on the side of the inter fender. Then on on one of the normally open contacts, have a 12V feed that is switched on on side and the 12v+ from a indicator light on the other. When the block heater is plugged in, the relay changes state, and the contacts mate. The light says off, till you turn the ignition key, and then it pops on to let you know you are still plugged in. Un-plug the block heater and the light goes off. Good luck.
Hey take this one step further and add a alarm siren into it. If you do turn your ign on the siren screams outa the back seat. Betcha do it only once....
Old 01-24-2004, 10:26 AM

Yeesss Spots, I like it. But think of the upholstrey cleaning costs. I just run my cord over the mirror on the drivers door to remind mrs greatwhite that there is a reason it started so easily. If you run it over the passenger mirror, you will be purchasing a mirror as well as a cord
Old 01-24-2004, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats what I was thinking greatwhite...going outside in the cold dark of winter and knowing I plugged my truck in and hoping its working is enough to remind me. But I have seen and driven away with more than my share of different coloured snakes following me and have learned to zap strap the extension cord on the truck end ( I run a battery blanket as well as block heater ) to the frame or something very solid that will not break when and if I drive away still plugged in. Did that to my wifes Blazer, worked well as it unplugged itself as she drove away...kinda like an automatic unplugger...secure both ends!!!!
Old 01-25-2004, 06:46 PM

Iwrap the Cord around the Drivers rear view Mirror ---
Never forget ....
Mike
Old 01-25-2004, 07:36 PM

Curious, does anyone know of a coiled heavy duty extension cord? Not in a reel where it would heat up, but like the air compressor hoses, or Jet Connex trailer wiring.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:27 AM

A true idiot, especially one who is still just waking up, would not notice an idiot light. Wrapping the cord around the driver's side mirror seems to be the foolproof method.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My fool proof method was to bomb proof secure the cord to the truck and the extension to a post.
I never even bother unplugging by hand, just back up.
Eight winters with the same cords.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:06 PM

I dont have to think about the cord I park my truck in a heated garage.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:27 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

How about using a contractors cord, that has the 3 plug end. Plug the truck in and plug in a clamp mount, portable, light and clamp it to the grill. Point at the windshield, so it shines in your eyes. Or maybe you can string some blinking, Christmas lights.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:20 AM

they make little socks for aviation use that say "remove before flight" they r bright red u can use one on ur shifter or antenna mast. just my .02
Old 01-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Banned

naw I like the siren in the backseat option myself. Betcha do it only once.

Quick Reply: Idiot light for block heater