General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Idiot light for block heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idoit light for block heater

Before i get too wrapped up in thinking this through I figgered I'd see if anyone else has considered the same thing. Why re-invent the wheel unless its cooler looking? Anyways I want to set up an idiot light in the cab/dash to warn the dummy that drives my truck that the block heater is plugged in. Temps here are dropping below 0 all week so i started pluggin' her in at night. And of course the dummy had an orange snake chasing the truck out of the garage again this morning.

Anyone else come up with a simple warning light system before i start inventing stuff?

My thinking is something simple like a couple dozen or so wraps of wire around the a/c feed line to the block heater to grab a trickle of juice using inductance (pretty sure that should work) to power a 5 voltage reg and a resistor/LED. Seeing as how even the brightest LED I have only draws 30ma @ 3.2V absolute MAX (blue of course!) it should be easy enough to screw up. I just can't seem to rationalize grabbing a bit of 120v AC to step it all the way down to power this, way to much hardware and crud to put in the way. And if my theory works total investment would be about $1.50 if I had to actually buy anything. Thoughts??

BTW you all know who the 'dummy' is.... nobody else has even even started my baby!!!!!!!!!! (except the mechanics driving into the service bay)

Also hopefully gonna kill all that ugly greenish backlighting in the dash this weekend too.... replace all the backlights in the dash with blue LED's. All in the name of DC power conservation! yeah that's the reason.....couldn't be that i like blue or anything Gonna replace all the regular bulbs with ganged LED's, except the head/fog lights.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Idoit light for block heater

Originally posted by dakar
And of course the dummy had an orange snake chasing the truck out of the garage again this morning.

Hahaha, Careful with them snakes, they might be poisonous ! Sorry I couldn't help myself.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Banned

Wrap the cord around the drivers side mirror. You can't forget that way.
BTW at the fire-hall we have the trucks plugged into air and hydro. We routed the hoses through the door handles because so many were being ripped off the walls and chasing the trucks down the street.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I wrap a piece of velcro around the steering wheel at the 12:00 position when I plug the truck in.

I haven't forgotten to unplug since I started doing this.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:25 AM
Banned

the 1st time you burn it out from leaving it plugged in while running will also help the memory
Old 01-05-2004, 11:28 AM

Actually Cummins recommends leaving it Plugged In while warming up.
I've been doing it that way every since I bought mine in '99.

From www.dodgeram.org:

Subject : ISB Sticking Valves/Bent Push Tubes
Product Name: MR - ISB/QSB SPT Group : 002 Cylinder Head
Date: 01/06/2000 Equipment Application : ALL
Distribution : Internal and Distributor Service Information Originator : Daniel Fedewa
Warranty Impact:

As the ambient air temperatures have started to drop in out Northern Regions we are reminding the field, by this Thursday Note, on the ISB sticking valve / bent push tube issue. The 4 valve cylinder head on the ISB runs at a cooler temperature, which in some cases is allowing tar to condense on the exhaust valves. This may result in sticky valves and bent push tubes. The 2 valve head runs at a hotter temperature, thus preventing the tar build up. To reduce the risk, the following recommendations should be followed. This may be found in the PITs document "JJGN-44BKRU"

STICKING VALVES - SERVICE PLAN

Short Term:

Reactive short term: Repair and clean cylinder head as required.

Proactive short term: To prevent or decrease the risk of this occurring to an engine which frequently idles for long periods of time in arctic temperatures, Cummins recommends the following:

Use of a winter front on these trucks
Use of a block heater when the engine is idling.
If the truck is already equipped with an exhaust brake, it should be turned on during idle
Prior to shutting off the engine after extended idling (6 hrs) it is important to bring the engine to operating temperature (minimum of 140 degrees) to remove any carbon build up on the valves. This can be accomplished by driving the vehicle for 20-30 minutes or;
NON-Chrysler: Operate the engine at high idle for 5 minutes or until engine reaches 140°F.
Chrysler: Run the truck at 2000 rpm for two minutes, 3000 rpm for two minutes and then 3500 rpm for two minutes, until the engine reaches at least 140°F.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Banned

yes I know.............I have not been brave enough cause thats how I burned out the last one........any one else have a long slife heater doing that??
Old 01-05-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by thumper 549
the 1st time you burn it out from leaving it plugged in while running will also help the memory
Why should leaving it plugged in while running burn it out?
Been doing it for eight years without a problem.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:02 PM

How about 1 of these switching a 12 volt light?

http://www.functionaldevices.com/pdf/RIBXKF.pdf
Old 01-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Banned

they burn out because of cavatation or some big word like that. some eng. are worse for it then others.....I wont go into that -but thats what the cause is--where air bubble meets heat elimate it get to hot for a instant and after a few times ya do not have a heater in the block no more
Old 01-05-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Must have been on a PSD, Cummins engines are known for no cavitation.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Banned

it was on somthin and dont want to start any brand wars...they all have problems
Old 01-05-2004, 03:16 PM

I don't think Infadel was getting into Brand wars.

It's sufficient to say that the Cummins 5.9, not having the bore liners, doesn't have the cavitation troubles some other engine styles/manufacturer's do.
It seems as long as the element isn't heating up dry, it should last a long time.
It's the same concept as an electric water heater in a house.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I have kept my trucked plugged in full time in the winter months, I also leave it plugged in while idling. I bought the truck new in 96 and have replaced the heater once in that time.

Seems to me that is a pretty good life span on the heater itself, the cord was replaced once because of "Dakar's dummy" visiting me as well
Old 01-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have only had to plug my truck in a few times when it was left outside.
I let the truck warm up while plugged in for about a minute or two. Then unplugged the truck and continued to allow it to warm up.
Seemed to work ok.

As far as doing something to help me remember its plugged in? Well, an ex-neighbor of mine deliberately left the hood slightly open and ran the plug under the hood.
I suppose if you forget about that, the hood will fly open when you hit speeds, so I dont recommend this.

Rich

Quick Reply: Idiot light for block heater