General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

I got dipped, in BFE VA

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up here in WA we are paying $2.169 now just went up this week from $2.119 we would love to see fuel below $2 a lot of places right now are getting back up close to $2 for unleaded but I had to go to ND to see fuel below $2.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:20 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Crimedog,

I don't know how it would affect the third gen trucks, but I have run my old '93 on straight lube oil with no fuel at all. Ran just fine. No difference except the exhaust smelled a little different. People have been pouring waste lube oil and heating oil in for, probably as long as there have been diesels. I understand it's standard practice with fishing boats, and it works just fine. I "recycled" a lot of heating oil and used motor oil in my old Mercedes 300SD and in my Isuzu NPR. They loved it.

Wetspirit
Old 08-21-2004, 01:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Seems like used oil would have to reduce fuel filter life. I just wonder if it's worth the $6 worth of "free" fuel.
The Cummins Centinel system justifies burning motor oil in a different manner because you don't have to take the time to change stop and change oil, it's constantly changing itself and disposing of the used.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:26 AM

So if I change my Fuel Filter every 7,000 miles, do you guys think it would have any negative affects? Anyone ever cut a fuel filter open to see how plugged up it got when running oil throught it? Any difference? I think it would be a good deal since it'll keep ma from barking about all the oil laying around in buckets and it'll double as a little bit of free fuel. How much is a little improvement in milage, HID?

On another note, the VP44 guys maybe could benefit since their pump is only lubed by the fuel? Yes, No?
Old 08-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I was just telling Rod yesterday that the gov is dipping the tanks at some of the agricultural/lumber yards here.
And last night on my way home from the shop at 9:00 p.m. they were dipping tanks in the local hotels parking lot which is frequented by lots of farmers. This was in a town of 2000 people.

Scotty
Old 08-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Hmmmm.
Scotty,......Ya might wanna lay-off pouring the 'runoff' from the George Forman grill in yer tank til the 'heat' dies down.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Scotty
I was just telling Rod yesterday that the gov is dipping the tanks at some of the agricultural/lumber yards here.
And last night on my way home from the shop at 9:00 p.m. they were dipping tanks in the local hotels parking lot which is frequented by lots of farmers. This was in a town of 2000 people.

Scotty
So do they just go up and get up in your fuel tank? Or do they get the owner out there first and then do it?

I have a locking fuel cap, so I guess they'd have to get me first... unless they just decided to break it off.... that would be interesting....
Old 08-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I was not close enough to see.
I know that one guy out there last year had them waiting by his truck to check.
I would've walked towards the truck, then go another way when I saw them converging on me.

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY

Old 08-21-2004, 08:52 PM

Better lay off the red meat on the grill for awhile. Stick to white meat so there won't be any visable signs of red in the tank.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Crimedog
Wait a minute You take your used engine oil out and run it right back through your tank? What kind of oil are you runnin, Haulin? I've never heard of that but then again I am new to the diesel thing (Exactly 1 year next weekend). This is very interesting. What if you would run more than a half gallon through would it have negative affects?
The old rule of the thumb on the 70's and 80's engines was no more than 10%. Over that amount and you would start getting fuel knocks from too much btu in the fuel.

I have not seen a major difference in the filter changes. But I do keep the percentage fairly low. Two quarts to 30 gallons and that in every other tank. Mileage increase is hard to figure, I get half to one mpg difference just from one fuel station to another. All my loads are different weights also. I would say that one would probably be the difference. There is more impovement the lighter my load is. Biggest difference is lighter load at 67 or 68 mpg. My mileage figures are not good either, the wedge car hauler is like pulling a big parachute. I used to be happy with 10 1/2, now with the mods etc, I can count on 12 and sometimes higher. That is if I don't get in a hurry like this evening and "get it on" Me and an empty tanker made record time from Huntsville to Birmingham. And both of us ate up a Duramax hauling cars.

I don't know anything about the common rail engines, use caution.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:14 AM

I'll have to give it a try. I don't think my dad will try it, but it I guess it can't hurt the might 12 valver. Thanks for the info HID
Old 08-22-2004, 06:53 PM

On the topic of burning used lube oil in the tank, does anyone filter it first or just pour it in? I collect my used oil in a 55 gallon drum. I was thinking of rigging up a pump and a filter in-line to pump it into the tank. I was thinking that I would never let it get lower than about 1/4 in the drum in order to not disturb what settles out. Whatcha' think?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me. Maybe just put a spigot 1/4 of the way up and use it to fill old oil jugs. As long as you let the drum settle for a few days after pouring in fresh waste oil all the big stuff will settle out, no need for a filter.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:15 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
rattle_rattle,

I made a five gallon bucket into a water separator and put a valve through the side about 2 inches up from the bottom. The fuel or oil was allowed to sit in containers, if possible, for a few days to settle out. Then I would pour it into the bucket through a piece of boat canvas or a couple layers of T shirt to pre filter the bigger junk. Finally pour it into the car. I'm sure the filters won't go as far but I didn't notice a difference. I did clog one but it had been in place for many miles and could have been from a bad load of fuel. One possible concern is getting small particles of gear hard face into your injection system. These particles would be smaller than the filter rating, ie. 4 micron or 10 micron, etc. Very unscientific, I know, but it all worked out fine. As far as the amount per tank goes, I poured in whatever amount I had, and have alternated between waste oil and old heating oil. As I posted earlier, my '93 ran fine on straight oil with NO diesel involved at all. This was when I ran it OUT, till it stopped, and poured in oil instead of fuel. I may sound a little too casual about this and I am not advocating all this stuff, but I had no trouble and it's not a new idea.

Wetspirit