General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

How good is Power Service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good is Power Service?

I just bought so Power Service Fuel Supplement + cetane boost(up to 4 numbers it says). Year round formula with slick diesel. How good is this stuff? My long time friend at the part store said this stuff is running off the shelf. He didn't want to sell me the other brand he had plenty of because he said this stuff is what everyone around here wants. He had 5 gallons of this other brand collecting dust.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:15 PM

I like the Power Serice Diesel Kleen as much as anything I've tried. Can't say I notice anything other than it does make the engine a little quieter. I feel better knowing that it raises the cetane rating a few points. Price is hard to beat too.

But be forewarned, that you will soon begin hearing about a magical potion consisting of power service (ps) and marvel mystery oil (mmo). Everyone seems to have the right mixture, and they love to tell you what that is. But due to it's incredible effectiveness, a new product will soon be released with this custom blended mixture that will end all ps/mmo debates for good. The mystery is solved.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by RED99CTD
.......My long time friend at the part store said this stuff is running off the shelf.........
I think it has a lot to do with brand recognition. PS is sold everywhere; Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Pep Boys, etc. That doesn't necessarily made it good though. I've used it over the years along with a lot of other stuff. I found their Diesel Kleen to be the only additive to actually increase my mileage. That said, I settled on Stanadyne PF, and continue to use it 2 years later. OEM LP and IP. That alone has to say something about using an additive.......any additve.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I run PS year round. Original VP44 with 182,000 miles. I like it, and more important my truck does too!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Banned

I have used power service in the white bottle for 7 years and have never had any gelling or fuel system problems, other than those wonderful lift pumps in the earlier 24 valved trucks. I tried others like lucas, howes, but just liked the power services better and it cost less to use per gallon of fuel than the others also.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:08 AM

I like the silver bottle PS. I also use stanadyne when I have it. I have to drive out of town for the stanadyne but personally I think it's a better product and that's what my injection shop recommends. I use the PS because it's available and it's a pretty good product. When I can't get PS I use Marvel until the PS restocks.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Banned

I run the PS in the silver bottle every tank. Engine is a little smoother and quieter with it.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Commatoze
I think it has a lot to do with brand recognition. PS is sold everywhere; Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Pep Boys, etc. That doesn't necessarily made it good though. I've used it over the years along with a lot of other stuff. I found their Diesel Kleen to be the only additive to actually increase my mileage. That said, I settled on Stanadyne PF, and continue to use it 2 years later. OEM LP and IP. That alone has to say something about using an additive.......any additve.
Bingo. PS is the most widely available by far. That doesn't make it the best.

Besides, there are different things that you want an additive to do, and if it excels in one area, it won't be as good in the other areas.

For example, if you want a good anti-gel, don't expect to see better mpg or huge increases in lubricity.

If you want lubricity, don't expect big mpg gains or much anti-gel effect.

It's kind of a zero-sum-game with additives-- you have to take from one attribute to give to another.

That said, I've tried just about every additive on the market, PS white bottle, PS grey bottle, Blue Stanadyne, CPPF, Howe's, Redline, and FP60.

The best on the market, imo, are the FP60 from www.lubecontrol.com and the Redline Diesel Catalyst and 85Plus from www.redlineoil.com The redline diesel fuel catalyst (not 85 plus) is the best smoke reducer. The FP60 is better for lubricity and MPG.

Once you've tried either of these two additives, you probably won't go back to an additive like PS, which is mostly diesel fuel anyway.

jh
Old 12-21-2005, 09:30 AM

Well so far so good. I have been getting 15+ mpg city by the computer for this entire tank of fuel since adding Power Service. I have 320 miles on a half tank. I'll hand calc it when I refuel. 1 MPG or more, either way you look at it it is still a savings.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Banned

I have tracked my mileage with and without PS and it is better with it, but for that matter it is slightly improved with many others I have tried also. I usually just grab whatever additive is the most conveniant at the time. I figure that way I get the best of all of em. With these new winter blend fuels, IMO gelling is not even an issue anymore unless your letting the truck sit for extended periods. I have this problem with my tractor but it sit's for sometimes weeks at a time outside. Plug it in a few hours before I need it and it's ready to go though.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
.......My long time friend at the part store said this stuff is running off the shelf.........
That's because it's been very cold in the NW the last few weeks, any brand would be selling well. I use the white bottle PS only in the winter for anti-gel, nothing the rest of the year.
Beware, the PS in the silver jug doesn't contain anti-gel.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:32 PM

I keep saying this Neutra Plus #192 from Schaeffers its great stuff and cheap
Old 12-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

I've used PS in the white bottle down to -35 F on straight #2 without any problems for a couple of years.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:20 PM
JKM

What does a powerservice bottle look like? i have checked everywhere , and i have never been able to find it up in these parts. I even forced myself into walmart to look for it , no go?

I have been using Howes diesel treat, everyone seems to like/use it around here , and it seems to work for me.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JKM
What does a powerservice bottle look like? i have checked everywhere , and i have never been able to find it up in these parts. I even forced myself into walmart to look for it , no go?

I have been using Howes diesel treat, everyone seems to like/use it around here , and it seems to work for me.
Looks like this :

That is the summer formula, as it has no anti-gel additive in it. The bottle with the anti-gel in it is the WHITE bottle.

Quick Reply: How good is Power Service?