General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Hello and looking for some pointers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello and looking for some pointers.

Hello all, I'm in Phila, Pa and have been looking online at Dodge diesel trucks since my first ride in one a few months ago. I haven't had a cummins truck before but I have owned several other diesel trucks, currently a Mercedes unimog 416. My friend took me for a ride in his first gen 2500, he has a bigger compressor on the turbo, water/meth injection and a 4" straight pipe. I was instantly hooked. I've been looking and have a question or two about what years might be best to look for for the options I'd like to find.

I need to find an extended cab, the one with the rear doors that open suicide so there's no b pillar (is that club or quad cab?) , and would like to find a 3500 with a flatbed. Some of the 3500s I've seen have the duals tucked under the bed so the overall track is no wider than a standard truck, were these sold as cab and chassis units only? What year did this cab style start, and are there some years that are better than others when it comes to tuning the pump or turbo? I like the narrow dual rear setup, as there are lots of small streets in my city. Are there strength issues between the wider rear vs the narrow? Sorry if these are novice questions, a few searches here gave me so much info I could barely filter through it. I'd prefer to stay away from the third gen trucks, as I've read that they are a bit more money to modify. Thanks in advance, SD
Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 AM

THe narrower duals are the cab and chassis which would be okay since your wanting a flatbed. The cab and chassis front wheels line up with the middle of the duals, as a reg dually the front tire and inside rear line up. 98 and up are quad cab, which is what you want. 98 12valves are very reliable and is the last year for the 12. 98.5 and up are 24v. Also very reliable, with major problems being the vp44 occassionally going out. Dont let that scare you off though. Watch for the 53 block with a 24valve, as they commonly crack. 24v cummins are electrically injected, meaning you can plug and play. the 12v is mechanical, so mods like a fuel plate and screws are the means of power gains, as well as turbos, injectors, etc., which are available with any truck. Oh and the rear ends will both be strong.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the 12 valve 98 xtra cab might be a rare find, but I'll start looking. Do you know if the trucks that were sold as cab/ chassis units use the same frame as the standard bed trucks?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think I know the truck you rode in - Peter is a bad influence.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:10 PM

How 'bout that Dave, That is by Buddy Seth, I took him for a ride just after I had the 4" system put on,, Last year,,,, Now I have the pump turned up even more, He lives in cc. philly, I dont get down there too much,
Will get him out in the old rig again now and see what he thinks,
You are one smart man Dave!
Old 08-21-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I think I know the truck you rode in - Peter is a bad influence.
Only a bad influence if I was trying to save my money. Who thought a 15 year old truck with more than 300K could be so fast? I've got to have one and it doesn't even have to be THAT fast. I just need something to haul the mog and the family, and be fun (fast) when I want to ave some fun. Thanks for the info so far. Looking at a few 97-98 3500 flat beds in tx, a few are 4wd, one is 2wd. Don't really need the 4wd but it seems that they may have less alignment issues than 2wd? Seems that I've read a bit about weak front suspension on some 2wd, not sure if it's model or year specific. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, but 2nd gen 4x4's have the death wobble issues. I think a 2wd is less trouble all around - but they are totally worthless in the snow or even on wet grass.

To answer your previous question, C&C frames are different than pickup frames. They also have different wheelbase lengths.