General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

going to have to sell her

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 96_12V
Good job on a house at 20! That's amazing.

Sadly, the add-ons hurt resale, in this market, you'd be lucky to get over $12,500 for it. Good luck...
I'm way sure he would get more than that.

I'd say $15k at least.

The local dealership quoted me $13k on trade for mine 2 months ago.

Even though diesel is higher, lots of gas trucks are going to the lot in favor of diesel for fleets, construction, hauling ect.

Less maintenance for the long haul, better economy and power.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by curts99
i think im going to have to sell the ole gal since i bought a house, im going to miss her though. talk me out of it guys
I'm not going to try to talk you into or out of anything with your truck this time-- only you can know what is best for you.

But it's wise to look at it from all sides.

I'm in a situation like yours-- bought a house (close in ~2wks) and really don't like how much fuel costs now. But the mortgage is my only debt, and I can cut back in other areas to make it livable.

My truck is paid for and has been for awhile. So what would happen if I sold my truck for the 12K or so I *might* get for it?
- would I ever need a truck again (most likely, as a homeowner).
- What would cost to meet my need for a truck at a later date?
- What kind of truck would I be getting for my money?

For me, it makes a lot more sense to keep the truck because to sell it now and get a different truck (same year or newer) later means getting something either less capable, not as nice, or much more expensive.

So I'll be riding my bicycle again if I can.

Justin
Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I'm not going to try to talk you into or out of anything with your truck this time-- only you can know what is best for you.

But it's wise to look at it from all sides.

I'm in a situation like yours-- bought a house (close in ~2wks) and really don't like how much fuel costs now. But the mortgage is my only debt, and I can cut back in other areas to make it livable.

My truck is paid for and has been for awhile. So what would happen if I sold my truck for the 12K or so I *might* get for it?
- would I ever need a truck again (most likely, as a homeowner).
- What would cost to meet my need for a truck at a later date?
- What kind of truck would I be getting for my money?

For me, it makes a lot more sense to keep the truck because to sell it now and get a different truck (same year or newer) later means getting something either less capable, not as nice, or much more expensive.

So I'll be riding my bicycle again if I can.

Justin
Well said.

I too am debt free minus the mortgage, utilities and such.

I live simple - don't charge things.

I mean selling the truck would save you what? $1200 a year in fuel costs?

Plus you know the truck, and getting into something else down the road could be a money pit.

I can't tell you what to do, but keep it.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 AM

Im in the same boat and will probably never be able to sell my truck for what it is worth to me. All the late nights, blood, sweat and tears can never have a price given to them. Im sure that to the right person who appreciates what I have done, it may be worth it, but to the average person, Ill never get what I need out of it. By the time I reduce the price enough to move it, I will not be accomplishing my goal, which is to pay off debt and buy a smaller car. Ill end up having to finance something to drive and then be po'd that Im making payments on a rice burner.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:44 PM

You realize your not gonna get crap for that truck with fuel prices the way they are right? The market has become saturated with big trucks and SUV's. Most dealerships are turning them down left and right. Everyone is wanting little cars, not big trucks. Your only hope is to private sell it to someone, and I still say you may end up taking a hit on it. Im saying you wont get over 10k anywhere.

Also, think of this, is it really worth getting rid of a vehicle that is paid for, so you can buy another vehicle and have to make payments (debt), pay higher insurance rates, plus fuel? You may not think the truck will be beneficial right now but if your even toying with the idea of home improvement you need something that can haul a load.

My solutions

1. just keep the truck
2. keep the truck and get a motorcycle for commuting
3. Keep the truck and get a small cheap used 4 cyl beater car

I just think youll regret ditching the truck when the time comes that it will really shine. You may not be thinking about it right now, but if you get a girl and she wants to start bringing home carpet and lumber and stuff to redo the bathroom, a civic aint gonna cut it.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by curts99
id get me a little s-10 but with having the truck the numbers dont add up keeping the house is more important then keeping the truck i can always get another one besides im still a kid 20yrs old. the house just needs little things paint and attention to detail things. im tight with my money and dont like being in debt and always like to have plenty for an o crap situation. im still kicking it around and havent made my mind up 100% but it will most likely go.
same with me to im 20 truck is paid for and so is house (very lucky)
well when the trans got torched in the dodge i bought a jeep for $350 put a motor in it it was blown and have been driving it for about a month or so while my truck sits in the driveway and i am rebuilding my trans, you have no idea how much you will miss the power and badassness of your truck im wating on parts for the trans from gorend, but trust me you will miss the crap out of it i cant wait to drive mine again. dont sell it
Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 PM

You can put a 12x12 wood shed in the 2500 plus the s 10
Can you even get a full sheet of plywood in a s 10?
Keep the Ram you will be kicking youself for years if you let it go.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:47 PM

Ditch the ram and move on! Sorry to be so blunt but your only 20 and with a mortgage payment, so unless you can afford to park your hot rod and drive something else that gets 40+mpg sell it. With that lift on your hot rod it will be difficult to use as a truck anyway. I'm really not tryin to be a smart *** but that is how I see it.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:07 AM

i just bought a $450 mercury tracer. gets 30mpg. my truck got pushed to a 'pleasure' vehicle on my vehicle insurance and now my insurance costs me $10 more a month with both vehicles on it...not bad at all. i use the truck when i want or need to, but now im not stuck with driving it to and from work with $5/gallon fuel and 16-17mpg...i now have a choice between it or the tracer.

you just need the ability to park an additional vehicle.

i want to sell my truck too, but its tough when the market is so bad. i may just suck it up and sell it for dirt cheap. plenty of people have survived in the world of home ownership without a 3/4 ton pickup, or any pickup for that matter.

also, im getting a bicycle and will begin riding to work with that....get me back in shape, stay healthy, and laugh in the face of big oil when im not relying on them for my transportation needs.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:23 AM

I posted mine for sale because its NOT paid for. if it was I dont think I would ever get rid of it. I was very close to signing on a mortgage but at the moment I hate my job so im going to try to find another one. the fuel prices are disgusting but if you buy a gas truck its less to fill it up but its still eating up more fuel. Im going to agree with the guys if your house needs any work you will want it around. I hardly drive my truck and I pay on it to set and it will be hard for me to sell mine after the money and time ive put into it
Old 06-10-2008, 11:02 PM

i regret selling my 2000 all the time...I just bought a house and also have $1000 in car payments...my bombed 2nd gen would have been payed off. You truck look SIK! got any pics?