General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

First time towing

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time towing

So I just completed a 1300 mile trip towing for the first time in my new (to me) 02 CTD. A few things....

Trailer = ~2000 lbs
Jeep = ~ 3500 lbs

So I assume I was hauling about 5500 lbs.

Illinios - Moab Ut. Through Denver and the Eisenhower tunnel.

I average 14 mpg. I ran 67-70 mph the whole trip except for the bad snow around Denver and up through the pass. I drove it by the pyro up through the pass and just kept the EGT's around 1000*. This equaled about 40-60 up the pass.

Couple questions....does this sound about right?
I never had more than 15 lbs boost the whole trip.....why?
I expected the 5500 lbs to almost be unnoticeable behind my truck based on others posts here.....it could be felt for sure, and it felt heavy....the truck really worked to get up to speed. Normal?
Egt's most of the time on flat (ish) ground running 67-70 were 800. Normal?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 AM

Totally normal take that as good or bad.

That stretch west of Denver up I-70 is no joke. I have the same year and had the same questions you have just asked them about 2 years ago and was given great advice so I hope I can help some. A box/programmer works well to improve overall performance. I chose and Edge EZ and it really is night and day. My trans is still liking me for now even on level 3 but hope to upgrade the trans over the winter.
That pass used to be 50 mph tops and pushing the engine with my 7000lb TT, now it's in 4th, sometimes dropping to 3rd but not often pulling the hill with ease. EGT's are a new concern (1300* pre turbo for me) but I see you have a 4" exhaust vs my stock exhaust.

I would read up and search for a power box, edge, quad, smarty on and on the list goes and that is in no order. I'm hoping along with my trans to maybe get some RV 275 injectors or better but was told an EZ and 275's make a great towing machine. Some say yes to the injectors others don't feel much with the 275's.

I will say my truck is totally different with just an EZ so that's no bull. The Edge comp is totally different and I can't comment on that but you get the same results as the EZ only WAY more HP and Torque but you have to tap the VP wire but you can control the power in the cab vs stopping and changing the setting.

Check out the classifieds on this site for a used box or buy new but you won't believe what 20 minutes of install does for the performance of the Cummins.

Your boost is restricted to ~20 psi stock until you put in a boost fooling/fueling timing box like mentioned above. I didn't notice your trans type so you might need a j-hook if auto trans to get full boost potential or you would just use the boost elbow everyone provides with a fueling/timing box.
Enjoy, the BOMB bug will soon bite
Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 AM

I never drove your truck, but it sounds normal for it. I don't know if it is the auto or what but it never "seemed" to have the pick up that the same year 6spd did. I saw them both towing.

Hint: I know the po.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
When someone says they pull a trailer and never notice it back there, don't ever beleive them. Especially a trailer with a Jeep on it. If you forget that's there, you've just about writtn your ticket for disaster.

Considering you just pulled a Jeep across a mountain pass, I'd say your doing pretty good. I pull a 8000 rv and get about 12-15 mpg at about 65 mph. I don't get into any hurry withit. Heck, when that's hooked up, I'm on vacation. I don't want to rush anyting other than getting out the door of the office as fast as I can.

I don't have a pyro or boost gauge, so I'm not sure whatmy numbers are. I also don't pull over any mountain passes either. Texas is fairly flat compared to the rest of the world.

What rear gears do you have? 4:10's will feel like they pull better, but will cut a couple of mpg's off. 3:55's will feel a little slugish on the take off, but you'l get a couple of mpgs better than 4:10's. If you don't need to drag race from every red light with a Jeep behind you, 3:55's are the way to go. Of course this doesn't mater too much after you've made your purchase, but might explain a few things.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by charliez
What rear gears do you have? 4:10's will feel like they pull better, but will cut a couple of mpg's off. 3:55's will feel a little slugish on the take off, but you'l get a couple of mpgs better than 4:10's.
The truck has 4.10's.

I was pleased with everything on the trip though coming home through the mountains she got HOT. The engine temp gauge never touched the red area, but is was darn close. I was not pushing the truck, I drove it by the EGT's and kept them at 1100. My concern is again that the boost was never over 14, and the tranny and engine temps just kept climbing and it was freezing outside.

I wonder why.......
Old 01-10-2008, 02:49 PM

your waste gate could be out of adjustment, or you have some boost leaks in the intake system.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:30 PM

I drove your truck for a bit and always thought the same thing was odd for the boost.

What jeep do you have now? Had your old rubi at Disney and it did pretty well.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:13 AM

Where is your egt probe? You can run up to about 1300 deg. measured at the EM collector w/o causing problems. Everything sounds normal; great mileage esp. for climbing those gnarly passes.

Nick
Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by YJ_Aaron
I drove your truck for a bit and always thought the same thing was odd for the boost.

What jeep do you have now? Had your old rubi at Disney and it did pretty well.
Found at least 2 boost leaks tonight. I should be able to get those resolved soon.

Building a trail only rig right now, this trip was in November, and we hauled my buddies TJ to Moab for the second trip of the year.

Glad to hear the Rubi did good and is being used.