General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introduction

Hey everyone.

This is probably the wrong area, but I couldn't find the introductions area. So here I am.

I'm a car guy from way back and this is my first time buying a diesel 4x4. Yep, took the plunge and here I am. Contemplated the Duramax for awhile but the Cummins is a better bet in my book. As well as the turning radius of the Dodge is waayy better than the Chev. And I like the look of the Dodge over the Chev.

I picked up a 03 Flame Red SLT Sport 2500 Quad Cab, Short Box, Auto (47re) with 80K miles on it. Bone stock. I know the 47re isn't the best, but it will have to do for now.

Now onto the questions. I have been lurking through the forums reading as much as I can to understand what the heck you guys are talking about! I know everyone has an opinion. I would like to hear them all and figure out what my next steps are.

My goals? Some more power, better mileage, and reliablility. I pull a competition ski boat (88 Malibu) and will be buying a 9' camper.

Two obvious things are cat back exhaust as well as air filter. Which ones would be best?
Needs some type of step as it's tough to get in and out of the darn thing!
Then in order, what's next? What and from where?
And what should I change before it becomes an issue? I hate those surprises where your trip is spent on the side of a road or in some hick town waiting for parts.

Thanks for all your help in this. I really appreciate it.

Randy

PS If you've ever in Vancouver BC Canada, look me up.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 AM
Chapter President

Welcome to the site. I can't help much since I drive a 2nd gen. I will tell you tho you need a full exhaust like a 4 inch.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome.

Along with the obvious (gauges). You may want to look into a valve body and torque converter upgrade. With anything more than about 75HP or so (depending on driving style) you could be looking at transmission damage.

Good Luck.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 AM

Randy - welcome - that's a good name, it's mine as well...

I'm not a modifier, happy with my truck the way it is (12 valve 215 hp at that) but it sounds as if you're taking a conserative approach, which is wise with the 47re trans. I would keep some $$$ saved for it's eventual failure. Generally speaking, a drop-in K&N filter would work fine, without going to an expensive canister type setup. As to special exahusts and intakes, unless you like the sound or have a certain look you desire (stacks, etc) it will cost you a lot of $$$ for any realized performance gains.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 AM

Do exhaust first and get rid of the cat. Magnaflow is a good deal for the $ and aren't too loud, plus they're stainless. I got good performance and mileage gains from the CFM intake elbow. wwwrpmoutlet.com has good deals on exhaust/intake/elbow packages. Their mufflers are pretty small so they may be loud; they also have a stainless upgrade.

Nick