General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

DT466E problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DT466E problems

I had a buddie lend me a truck with a inline 6 international ...He just bought the truck used with 200k on it ...it seemed to run ok at first .
I have yet to take it the deal or some one that has a scaner for these trucks ...I beleave it's an 2001 .
The first problem seemed like a CPS sensor ...you would be driving and the truck just went dead and a few seconds it was back and running .
Then it had a time where all the gauges went dead , but the truck was running and shifting fine .
I checked all the connectors and they all seemed fine ...anyone ever work on one of these and is there any common problems with these engines .
Thanks

Greg
Old 04-05-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, replace the cam sensor that will fix the running problem. Also note that a bad cam sensor does not always set a code, but when the engine does stumbles randomly like that it is most likely the cam sensor. Now the gauge problem is most likely the cluster has gone bad. It is a common problem, you can get a rebuilt one form Int. You have to pull it out and change all of your gauges over to the new one, and send the old one back to Int. Change those 2 things and you should be good to go.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:15 AM

Thanks spitfire ...How common is the TPS ...I think it's a whole pedal when you order one .
Thanks again .
Greg
Old 04-05-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Greguw
Thanks spitfire ...How common is the TPS ...I think it's a whole pedal when you order one .
Thanks again .
Greg
No no, he is talking about the cam sensor which works with the HEUY system to control the injection events. Big difference. On the DT466E's the cam sensor is actually a bit of a common problem. Personally I stay away from the "E" series engines and stick with the straight DT466, DT360, D360 etc since they are mechanical trucks with 12v and no fancy stuff. Fact is the straight D and DT engines are the exact same as what you would find in agricultural applications.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Greguw
Thanks again .
Greg

See the above post, but if you are asking another question, I work on some with about 100k on them and I have never replaced one yet. So I would say that they don't go out very often. Also incase you didnt know the cam sensor is on the front cover of the engine, kind of between the alternator and water pump. Unplug it, take a 10mm socket, remove the bolt, pull and twist, it will come right out. Then just lube the o-ring on the new sensor and push it back in.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A cps is not a very common problem on the 466 engines, on the other hand the gauge cluster is a very common problem, like Spitfire said you can buy a remanned one from I/H, there are 2 different styles, one where you can swap out all your gauges, or you can spend an extra $60 bucks and get one with all the gauges in it, the cluster runs appx., $400-500 bucks (ouch). Post more on your stalling problem, does it stumble then stall out or does it just instantly die out? With some more details we can get this ironed out for you.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 PM

If I remember correctly, I havent used this method in awhile since I have a scanner, if you find the programming port under the dash, should be a round grey connector with about 9 pins in it on that year, there should be a push button mounted next to it. If you turn the key on, and push that button it should flash the engine codes on the dash with the engine light. It will flash once to tell you it is going to flash the active codes, then flash twice for inactive codes, and finally will flash three times when it is done. Do that and see if it has any codes set. If it doesnt then I am still betting my money on the cam sensor, I have had two this year do the exact same thing yours is and the cam sensor solved the problem.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:09 AM

I'd also start with the cam sensor. Actually I just got done pulling the front cover and the back plate for the front cover. On a DT466E in a flatbed, what a joke. Very basic design but I needed 1 person to hand me so many different tools from the box it wasnt even funny. Oh did I mention one of the gears in the front has a torque spec of 475 FT/LBS of torque Good luck!
Old 04-07-2007, 06:53 PM

Well I'm not a mechanic( licenced anyway) but I do drive these trucks daily. I have had 3 DT466E's since '98 and have had my share of little problems. As for the cam sensor I had 1 of those go out. If I can remember it use to kick the cruise control out and if you were on the fuel peddle it would briefly hiccup. I let it go too long then one day it was on the hook to the local IH dealer. On my 2002 I had a problem last fall that it took the dealer( 2) to think of it over a month to figure out. You would be pulling away going through the gears when all of a sudden it just went flat. Didn't seem to matter where the fuel peddle was it just didn't want to pull. First going off it would only last a second or two and it would give a surge and back to full power. As time went on the period of time it was flat was longer, one day I drove 5 or 6 miles like that, no pull. It had all it could do to get 30mph out of her. All this and no codes were set. Then they replaced the TPS. You don't have to replace the fuel peddle assembly just the sensor. The truck went about a week and just when I thought it was fixed it did it again and still no code. I went to a different dealer who thought it might be fuel related. He put on a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and told me to keep an eye on it when she went dead. Well it ran about45-50psi if I remember correctly for 2 weeks and finally it dropped again( went flat) but the fuel pressure was unaffected. After about 2000 miles the check engine light finally came on and I took it to the dealer to read the codes. After all the trouble finding the problem the computer said it was a MAP sensor. He replaced it in a matter of minutes and it has worked perfect since. I put on about 10,000 miles since with not a quiver. The MAP sensor is on top of the valve cover about 1/3 of the way from the front to the back, it has a wire connector coming out of it.
If I had to guess I would try a MAP sensor or at least if it turned on a light the scan tool might catch it. Good luck.