General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

DT466E Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DT466E Help Please

No its not a Cummins, a friend of mine has a DT466E International in his flatbed dump... He said that the truck ran great up and down the highway at 70 all day long without issues, he pressure washed the engine compartment and let it sit for a week or so... Since then after a lot of cranking we could get the truck to run bout sounds awful! Sounds like it is running short a couple of cylinders or something. If my truck sounded like that I would try and bleed a couple injectors or something to see if air was present in the lines or something...

I know very little about the fuel system in these trucks if anyone can enlighten me that would be great!!!
Main questions are:
1. Is is a common rail type injection? Seems to be a pump of sorts on the drivers side of engine that has a ss braided oil line going to the bottom and then 2 lines coming from the top of the fuel filter
2. Is there a way to blead injectors?
3. How is fuel routed to the engine? Two tanks, water separator on passenger side, fuel filter on driver side.
4. Is there a mechanical pump in the tanks or engine or an electric pump somewhere??? How do I know if the injection pump is receiving adequate fuel??

Any recommendations or information would be wonderful!!!

Thanks
Brian

PS the pressure washer incident related or not leads me to believe electrical, but the fact that it runs turns me away?? I dunno???
Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, pressure washing an electronic engine down is not a good idea, blows water in places it normally won't go.

The injection system is a HEUI or Hydraulic Electric Unit Injector. The are powered by oil pressure and activated by the injector driver to open a valve which lets the high pressure oil push on a piston which is connected to the fuel plunger.

He probably is short a few cylinders, try unplugging the connections and cleaning/dielectric greasing them to make sure all the water is out of them.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:16 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a problem with water getting in the electrical connections if I remember. I think it is at the drivers side where the computer is. The fuel I think is all pulled up by the pump on the drivers side too, and the injectors are fired by oil pressure. That is what the braided line is. There is a pump above the injector pump that builds High oil pressure to fire the injectors. I would look at the computer connections first from the info you're giving. Dry them out and use some dielectric grease on them to help keep future water out.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Which connections do I need to tr and dry out?? Was trying to find some connections relating to the injectors but honestly didn't know where to look on there...

So if fuel pulled from the tanks from the same pump?? So fuel is pumped at low pressure into a common rail of sorts and is then injected by a piston that is activated by high pressure oil via the SS braided line?? Do I have this right?? Man confusing
Old 06-28-2007, 10:41 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

The ones on the silver box on the left (driver's) top of engine. Above the injection pump that has all the lines you were referring to.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:56 PM

The huge box with a warning of dont touch 100DC volts?? Man that thing is huge and just in the way!! So pull the connections and use some dielectric grease and try again?? Was trying to find info about how to bleed air out of this system. something about a rail plug maybe and a primer deal on the filter housing?? This truck has sat for a while now may have air.... the truck did run though so maybe air is gone then??? He did replace the water separator as well as the fuel filter so maybe an air pocket after all?? Appreciate the help!!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:22 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

I think there is a schrader valve near that primer to help let the air out too. There is on the older 466 at least. I ususally prime it and let the air out all at the same time. It is very awkward, and you almost have to be a contortionist to do it, but it is possible! Blow all moisture out of the connections when you get them apart. Otherwise all you will do is seal it in with the dielectric grease.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 PM

Yes there was a schrader valve let out lots of air.. while the engine was running the fluid ran clean with no air.... still have my questions about what gets the fuel from the tank through the water separator through the filter to the rail... Does the oil HEUI pump do that as well??
Old 06-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the engine running on all 6 cyl now, or is it still missing?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

I can't say for sure, but I think one pump does it all on that truck. I don't remember there being a separate lift pump. I know it took forever to get the lsat one that I had ran out of fuel to get straightened out. Seemed like I pumped air for half an hour!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 AM

Still missing... I will try cleaning the electrical connections today and try to get all the air out of the system..
Old 06-29-2007, 08:07 PM

Disconnect your batteries before you remove any ecm cables. Once you have removed them and inspected them for water make sure you reapply dielectric grease to the ecm connectors and very gingerly reinstall them, it is very easy to bend or break a pin.

There is a fuel lift pump on these engines, it is located on the back half of the hpop, and is a cam style pump. Do not open the schrader valve with the engine running, you will be creating an air problem, the easiest way to bleed the fuel system is to remove the fuel filter and the fuel water seperator and reprime both of them together, then start the engine and hold the rpms up to 1200, the system should self purge itself of air.

Repost what you find when you guys check the electrical connections. If you are still having problems I will help you isolate them one at a time.

Good luck, Tim
Old 06-29-2007, 11:14 PM

I appreciate the response will do as you described as soon as I can... what is hpop? high pressure oil pump? (guess)
Old 07-01-2007, 10:42 AM

We have 2 2002's and had a 98 dt466. The dealer told me that they were self priming. I know when they do a service they arn't too fussy about filling the filter with fuel before starting the engine. It usually stalls and then fires right up. I know they do have a supply pump because I had a pressure guage hooked to it for a month last winter trying to figure out a problem I had. They hooked it to the schrader valve( or maybe replaced the valve). It ran at about 40 psi if I remember. My problem was a MAP sensor.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:12 AM

Just bumping this one back up. Any resolution to the problems yet?