General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Driving with a plow

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving with a plow

This is my first winter with my truck. It came with a Meyers plow. Its currentally snowing and will be thru out the day tomorrow. I hooked it all up tonight so I can do a pass with it early in the morning. I was thinking about driving to work with it hooked up. My commute is 25 miles oneway. it is expressway driving for about 15 or so miles. I can keep it slowed down in the right hand lane. Weather in the morning will be junk so it will be slower anyhow. Am I ok to do this? the truck is high up so with the plow up it maybe covers half the grill so I don't think cooling will be an issue. Any opinions or tips would be appericated. As of right now its just going to be plowing my drive and a few other local drives of friends and nieghbors.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive around with mine hanging on the front all the time. doesnt seem to effect anything, especially when its colder, like now.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:06 AM

Just have to be careful pulling into steep driveways or parking lots. Mine scrapes the driveway a little if I don't pull in on an angle.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:14 AM

Just keep it low enough so you don't block the grill and over heat.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:54 AM

I always drove my old 78 with the plow on,and never had any problems. The front end has never had a thing done to it,as far a bearings or ball joints.I fanally had to retire old faithfull last year because the cab wasn't attached anymor,still runs like a champ,but I didn't think it was safe to drive.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 AM

Driving with the plow won't give you any trouble. As long as your not pulling a huge trailer, and its 110 degrees outside, you shouldnt have to worry about overheating. your fuel mileage will go down, cause afterall your pushing a 7.5 or 8' wall infront of you, but I've never had any problems leaving the blades on my trucks for the entire snow season. It does become difficult to find parallel parking spots, but you wont have to worry about anyone backing into you.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:12 AM

I took it too work. No problems other than the car that rearended me. No damage on mine. His is another story.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:15 AM

When driving with plow in transport position best to have the plow angled so drivers side is closer to bumper. It's less of a direct push of the air you're pushing, but more importantly if you ever have to lower you blade to stop quicker (yea, it's save your hide every once in a while) it will push your truck rear to the right not the left and into to oncoming lane.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:34 PM

Sure you will have no problems????? Are you guys kidding me? If you leave that on all the time get ready to fork out a few bucks. You guys ever heard of Ball joints, track bars and tie rod ends? If you leave it on all winter get ready for a pricey rebuild at the end of the season. And yes I know we all need front end work after a good season. But you will need a lot more work. Plus if that thing breaks down the garages hate to take in trucks with plows on them
Old 12-02-2006, 05:08 PM

Yeah there is no way I would leave it on all winter. I'm not that far north. It doesn;t take long to get it on and off but I don't have a good place to put it so if has to kind of get packed away which is where the hassle is. Its coming off tomorrow til it snows again. I just had the snow storm coming and needed to have it ready to go but also needed to get to work in the same time period. It would be a big waste of fuel and wear and tear on the truck leaving it on all the time.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:49 PM

I don't think the plow will do near as much damage to a 93' don't they still have leaf springs?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:13 PM

I road mine occasionally when we get weekday snow and its 20 miles of mtn road and 15 miles of 55MPH highway. Running an 8' Sno Way, even with it up all the way and winter front down it only hits 190 occasionally on a steep uphill. I also travel with mine straight so the edge doesn't hit the asphault on the bumps, cheaper to drop an extra $20 for fuel over winter than $200 for a new wear bar. W/o it I get 19.8-20.1 MPG w/ it 18.4-19.0 MPG. You will also want some ballast, mine is a club cab LB and I run 620#'s behind the wheel wells.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:52 PM

rebuild after the season? a standard plow is only about 200-300#. my 78 Chevy 1\2 ton full time 4x4 is used to plow every year [ no not just driveways]-same ball joints, front tie rod, and same springs.[ i know someone is going to say 'your springs haven't sagged'. yes, they have. I've lost about 3" of hight in the front, but there also 28yrs old] and keep in mind only the plow is removable, not the pump, lights, or bracketry. the secret to longevity is simple, maintenance, and common since. in other words, when your plowing you don't need to go 70 MPH. and do your ride a favor, lower the plow when you park-your springs will thank you i do agree though, if yours comes off easy enough then yes i would remove it. also, your right, traffic was fun [driveing to chicago]-McCormick Place.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by BigDave12768
Sure you will have no problems????? Are you guys kidding me? If you leave that on all the time get ready to fork out a few bucks. You guys ever heard of Ball joints, track bars and tie rod ends? If you leave it on all winter get ready for a pricey rebuild at the end of the season. And yes I know we all need front end work after a good season. But you will need a lot more work. Plus if that thing breaks down the garages hate to take in trucks with plows on them
My truck is plenty tough enough to have a plow hanging on it "all the time". My front end could care less if that weight it there. It doesnt really hurt anything. I have never rebuilt a front end after a season. My first gen is a tough, durable truck, meant to work.

Who takes their truck to a garage to have it worked on??

Last edited by EClancy; 12-03-2006 at 02:31 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-03-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by EClancy

Who takes their truck to a garage to have i worked on??

Amen to that brother!

Quick Reply: Driving with a plow