General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dodge 3500 vs. Ford F350

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Dodge 3500 vs. Ford F350

My .02 cents worth. Even though I have had two Dodges, if I had to do it over again I would have purchased a Ford. Why? After I bought the 2002 Dodge, I towed with it a few times and it didn't seem right. I took it back to the dealer and said I didn't feel the truck was making power. They popped the hood, looked around and said everything was fine and told me to basically be on my way. So, I preceeded to tell them what I think, saw the manager and told him what I thought. Then i went to another dealer and told them the same scenario. They told me to take it back where I purchased it and have them look at it. After I told them what happened at the other dealer, he said it sounded like nothing was wrong. Note: the original dealer/mechanic did not hook up any diagnostic equipment, JUST popped the hood, looked at the engine for about 5 seconds and said everything was fine. So, I went next door to the Ford place getting ready to trade in the truck (****** off) and the salesman got one of there mechanics to come out and talk to me. One hour later, he found some type of connection was loose and fixed it at no charge. Truck runs like a million bucks ever since. Remember, this was a Ford mechanic at a Ford dealership working on a Dodge with about 800 miles on it. So, as you can tell the next truck will be a Ford...I don't care if it breaks down all the time or not... Then there's the problems with the fuel pumps (I'm on my second one already with only 15,000 mile and yes, I paid out of my pocket to get a new one since I bombed my truck just two days earlier), the automatic trannies are a POS (I had one on my 1997 Dodge). But the engine (Cummins) is AWESOME... Now if there was a F350 with a Cummins engine and an Allison auto tranny...I would have it in a heartbeat.<br><br>Again...this is my opinion and my opinion only. I am not a person that thinks any of the big three automakers are superior to one another...
Old 01-01-2003, 09:19 PM
KC

[quote author=j28s link=board=8;threadid=5705;start=30#87162 date=1041476241]<br>My .02 cents worth. Even though I have had two Dodges, if I had to do it over again I would have purchased a Ford. Why? After I bought the 2002 Dodge, I towed with it a few times and it didn't seem right. I took it back to the dealer and said I didn't feel the truck was making power. They popped the hood, looked around and said everything was fine and told me to basically be on my way. So, I preceeded to tell them what I think, saw the manager and told him what I thought. Then i went to another dealer and told them the same scenario. They told me to take it back where I purchased it and have them look at it. After I told them what happened at the other dealer, he said it sounded like nothing was wrong. Note: the original dealer/mechanic did not hook up any diagnostic equipment, JUST popped the hood, looked at the engine for about 5 seconds and said everything was fine. So, I went next door to the Ford place getting ready to trade in the truck (****** off) and the salesman got one of there mechanics to come out and talk to me. One hour later, he found some type of connection was loose and fixed it at no charge. Truck runs like a million bucks ever since. Remember, this was a Ford mechanic at a Ford dealership working on a Dodge with about 800 miles on it. So, as you can tell the next truck will be a Ford...I don't care if it breaks down all the time or not... Then there's the problems with the fuel pumps (I'm on my second one already with only 15,000 mile and yes, I paid out of my pocket to get a new one since I bombed my truck just two days earlier), the automatic trannies are a POS (I had one on my 1997 Dodge). But the engine (Cummins) is AWESOME... Now if there was a F350 with a Cummins engine and an Allison auto tranny...I would have it in a heartbeat.<br><br>Again...this is my opinion and my opinion only. I am not a person that thinks any of the big three automakers are superior to one another...<br>[/quote]<br><br>There are lots of dealers that are like that, I had a dealer porter that layed a patch of rubber with my truck when it was going in for some warrenty work, I was so mad! Some Dealers try some don't! I would contact Dodge and let them know about your dealer!<br><br>KC
Old 01-01-2003, 09:34 PM
DPG

j28s:<br><br>It's really too bad that you have a lazy/apathetic dealer. If you can't get the quality service that you need, the best truck in the world isn't all that good. <br><br>I hope that your luck improves. I hope that somebody who is a better businessperson buys out your dealer.<br><br>DeWain
Old 01-01-2003, 11:29 PM

I'm really sorry for your troubles with other dealers. I have a great one. It is the other way around. My ford dealer suxbad and my dodge dealer is like my best friend. I owned a ford pjoke and I had some problems with it and the ford dealer said I was nutz and they all ran like that. He also told me some really bad stuff about dodge and how I had the better truck (FORD). I don't take kindly to dealers trying to put down other brands just to get a sale. I sold my truck to my friend and got my 94. I have never looked back and am dang glad I did. just my 0.02<br>DM01
Old 01-02-2003, 01:33 AM

Hey KC. How you doin? About the tow rating. That has everything to do with the truck itself and not the engine. International uses this engine in its 4200 models and it will pull like hell. You have a good question though. I'm still looking for a clear answer.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:43 AM

As for you Pushrod. I was unaware of Cummins testing with the variable turbo.Thank you for the heads up. I hope they turn one out soon. As far as the HEUI injectors and me saying they were superior. I say this because this injector is electronically controlled,so basically the ecm is a very precise governor. Making for more accurate fuel delivery. And because of this,the ecm does not allow overfueling,hence the black smoke that you see from a Cummins under heavy acceleration. I agree that the bosch sytem is great as far as its simplicity. Wrong or right this is my point of view.If anyone could prove otherwise,I'd sure appreciate it.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:36 AM
KC

[quote author=Diesel Tech link=board=8;threadid=5705;start=30#87216 date=1041492821]<br>Hey KC. How you doin? About the tow rating. That has everything to do with the truck itself and not the engine. International uses this engine in its 4200 models and it will pull like hell. You have a good question though. I'm still looking for a clear answer. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I thought it was a valid question, I think the truck it self is the same as last year with a new engine and trans. One point I would like to make is I have read some of Fords new adds and boy they need to get some one else to write them.<br><br>Example, they state &quot;we believe that larger engines means more power&quot; Why did they make there engine smaller, they also really proud of there towing rating, and they state there engines are 225 or 225 thousand miles before overhaul. Dodge advertises 350,000.<br><br>Just a few points!<br><br>KC
Old 01-02-2003, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to leave this alone after my first reply but couldn't stand it any more. I haul construction equipment and anything else that needs to be moved. I have had a ford, gm not the duramax, and currently my third cummins. My loads go from 10k to the max of one time 28k and this is on the trailer. truck and trailer alone weigh 14,600. The cummins is a better pulling diesel then the others. I have not been around the new 6.0 but I dont think it will handle the loads like the ctd. When I wore out my 01 and was lookin for another truck I thought about a ford but a friend who owns one said i would not be happy at all with for what i do and haul.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:28 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Diesel Tech link=board=8;threadid=5705;start=30#87217 date=1041493420]<br>turn one out soon. As far as the HEUI injectors and me saying they were superior. I say this because this injector is electronically controlled,so basically the ecm is a very precise governor. Making for more accurate fuel delivery. And because of this,the ecm does not allow overfueling,hence the black smoke that you see from a Cummins under heavy acceleration.<br><br>If anyone could prove otherwise,I'd sure appreciate it.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Actually not looking to prove anything either way ;D My job is to provide good parts and accurate information for the guys when they're turning the trucks up, and as such, I need all the info I can possibly obtain. I'm currently looking for as much info as I can find on the common rail system that Fords using.<br><br>For example, the Cummins (Bosch) common rail uses a 2 stage pump, feeding a rail with up to 23,000 PSI. The injectors are electronically controlled by the ECM to provide up to 7 injection events per compression stroke (unverified info there). <br><br>If you could dish that kind of info off to us, it would be very much appreciated ;D<br><br>Rod
Old 01-03-2003, 04:03 AM

Great info pushrod. ;D I appreciate it. I am always looking to learn more about cummins diesel. As for the 6.0 I will say it uses a pump that provides 3,000 psi of engine lube oil to a common fuel rail. By means of an intensifier piston inside the unit injector allows injection pressures of 21,000 ,and up to 26,000. So only at the tip of the injector, will the 6.0's fuel system ever see high fuel pressure. In my opinion this helps eliminate the likelyhood of fuel leaks due to high pressure throughout the system. One thing I will say about the 6.0's fuel system is the fuel pump and the powersteering pump are not available as two separate units. If one goes bad they must be replaced as a unit. Something to think about when reliability issues should arise. I cant believe I have to wait this long to see about the Cummins HO and their new auto trans. :'(. I hope all goes well. If it does I will have one. Untill next time boys,enjoy yourselves.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:54 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

Thanks for the info. How many injection events are you folks using per compression stroke? Pilot and Main? Or more pilots?<br><br>Rod
Old 01-05-2003, 07:14 PM

I hope Ford has improved the turning radius on these new trucks. If Ford had the CTD or any six in row diesel I would buy the Super Duty. I think it is a better truck than Dodge. <br>I am comparing the previous designs as I have not looked at the newest ones. I don't like a V8 diesel...period! Duramax is already having problems. Just goes to show that waiting for a couple of years to see what the service record will be is a good idea. I wish I had done that before I bought that 24v Dodge that gave me problems. Cummins is using the variable turbo on their class-8 engines now. I don't see how the Navistar injectors are superior. High pressure common rail like the CTD is the way all diesel will be in the future. The cooled egr and variable turbo will also be there. Emissions rules will push everything that way. I like the Ford ZF 6spd better too.<br>At least 1st and R are across from each other where they belong! I would not buy any of these truck until they have been out for a few years though. I made that mistake once.<br>I won't make it again. If the HUEI is so great why isn't every engine maker using? Why just Navistar...and a couple of Cat models? In my opinion it is overly complicated. I am still mad at Dodge, but if I had to have a diesel I would buy one over the other two just because of the CTD! To each his own...no war intended...just my thoughts.