3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ram 3500 vs. Ford F350

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram 3500 vs. Ford F350

How do the two trucks compare? I am comparing 4x4 crew cab, 60" CA, 19,500 GVWR, Lariat/Laramie trucks. I am only starting my research, so please help me & put up w/ my dumb questions.

Most important is the engine/transmission - 6.7 Cummins vs. 6.7 Ford 'Scorpion'. To keep things apples-to-apples, I want to consider the auto tranny Ram, as Ford does not offer a manual. I assume that both have a DPF (and have to regenerate) as well as require DEF. Is this true? What is the real world milage (in town & Hwy unloaded and loaded). If either of these trucks are lightly loaded & idled allot, will they go into regeneration mode more frequently? What is the overall operating cost, taking into account fuel, DEF, maintenance cost, etc. What about reliability of the Cummins vs. Powerstroke?

Finally, how do the trucks stack up otherwise - interior & exterior?
Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 6.7L Cummins does not required Urea to meet the 2010 emission requirements. (See how I used the proper name for DEF) Urea is required in the C&C model trucks since the duty cycle is different in order to meet the 2010 emission rules.
As far as reliability for the Cummins engine, will this engine in this configuration has been in production since the 2007.5 MY. I do know of issues with blown head gaskets but this is common when the engine is modified and big power is produced without the use of head studs. In the stock configuration I believe the engines are now built proof.
Since the MY of 2008, Ford is on their second engine design and configuration, what does this say. Can you even find or see the engine in the engine bay?? I am also not a big fan of removing the cab to service the engine like Ford has to.
I would suggest that you read the digital magazine from Turbo Diesel register issue 75 were they compare the top three diesel trucks, for more information. You may have to join for a trial membership of $2.95 to read them. Here is the link.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/issues/
Jim W.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you like to work under the hood? If then you won't like the Ford. I'm a fleet mechanic and we have a few Ford diesels in the fleet. I hate working on them. Everything is a pain in the butt, even getting the starter out is a nightmare.

With all the trouble from the regens, egrs, def filters plugged and frozen urea tanks, standing policy now for the company is not to buy any more diesels. All our new 350,450 and 550s are custom ordered with gas motors.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have had the pleasure to test both these trucks alot and here is my best rite up for 1am.......Ford 100% is a pain to work on engine wise, nothing is easy at all, we have had a ton of front end issues (ball joints, knuckles, axle shafts) have blown 2 rear ends and many trips to the dealer for engine lights, side note the beds crack right infront of the dually flares. Cummins not one engine problem (I blew the head gasket in my personal truck) have had 4 transmission changes (30k GCVW) and one rear end that American Axle came out to deal with. Over all the Ford is a few ticks faster at 30k GCVW and pulls just as hard as the Cummins up a grade but fuel ecomomy seems alot worse. Interior is a toss up at this point they are so close its personal preference.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Mark:

I guess I will be giving you the "other side of the story" on your thread and questions between the new Ford and Dodge Diesel Pickup Trucks.

Let me start off by saying that I have driven both the new Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks several times. While our DTR Members have slammed the new Ford 6.7 pretty good, with the exception of DTR Member wytesyko, I can tell you the new 2011-2012 Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Trucks have had their fair share of problems too. If you doubt this, read this thread on the soot buildup on them:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...e-t298909.html

If they are left stock, this is just one problem you have to deal with. The mileage on the new Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Trucks is also ALOT worse than the Ford 6.7 Scorpion Diesels. Most of the new Dodges will get in-town mileage of 10.5-14. Do the DPF Deletes and you will get much better but also void your warranty. My buddies with the new Ford 6.7's report in-town mileage of 12.5-15.5 MPG.

Also, the overall performance of the Ford 6.7 Scorpion is much better than the Dodge CTD CR 6.7 in all categories including 0-60 times,
1/4 mile time, trailer towing etc. The new Ford 6.7 Trucks I have driven are also alot more comfortable than the new Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Trucks in my opinion.

Personally, I think the DEF system on the Ford 6.7's is a better overall emissions system for the diesels and the mileage differences seem to bear this out.

--------
John_P