General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dodge 3500 vs. Ford F350

Old 10-09-2002, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge 3500 vs. Ford F350

I am new to this forum and I am looking for some advice on the new Dodge 3500 and the new Ford F350.<br><br>First, let me say that I have owned pick up trucks going back to 1981, four in all (I tend to keep them for a long time when I buy them). Three have been Fords and one (my current truck) Dodge. My current setup is a regular cab Dodge 2500 4x4 with the Cummins diesel, automatic tranny and 4.10 rear. It has been a pretty good truck. I bought it new in 1994 ( the first year of that body style) and have been reasonably satisfied. Up until that time I owned all Fords but at the time I choose a Dodge because of the styling and the CTD.<br><br>Anyhow, it is now getting to the point were I will soon be in the market for a new pickup truck again. I would like to move up to a one ton dually 4x4. My family situation has changed and I would like to buy a quad/crew cab and will definitely stay diesel. I am currently comparing the new Dodge 3500 with the new Ford F350. Last weekend I went and drove a Ford PSD for the first time. It was an 03' F350 with the 7.3 liter motor, crew cab 4x4, XLT package . It was pretty darn nice. I could have bought the truck then and there and been satisfied but I do want to test drive a Dodge and a Ford with the 6.0 liter motor before I make a final decision. My questions to you guys who have owned Dodge/Ford dually's for a while are these:<br><br>- Dodge (Cummins) and Ford (Navistar) are both coming out with new engines, who do you honestly think will be more prepared to build a high quality, reliable engine with little or no bugs for the 2003 model year?<br>- What about this new Navistar 6.0 liter engine versus the 7.3 liter? <br>- What about this new Ford automatic transmission? I understand that with Dodge the HO CTD is not initially available with an auto.<br>- How does the CTD pull versus the PSD (automatic transmissions in both cases)? I have a farm operation and will use the truck to pull grain wagons (up to 15,000#), haul seed (up to 5000#) and perhaps set it up to pull a flatbed gooseneck trailer hauling a medium size farm tractor and a backhoe (11,000# to 14,000#) locally.<br>- Anyone know why Dodge still doesn't have a crew cab? I think the trade in value will be higher on a true crew cab versus the quad cab.<br>- How hard is it and what does it cost to set up a dually to pull a gooseneck trailer? What about a 5er?<br><br>If anyone wants to take a shot and give me a response I would sure appreciate it.<br><br>Thanks<br>
Old 10-09-2002, 10:17 AM

Re:Dodge 3500 vs. Ford F350

setting up a truck to pull a goosneck is around 500 bucks. that includes hitch,ball, and brake controller. if you pay to get it done.

pulling with an automatic? my opinion is
i like a manual.

i know nothing of the new engines as i have only driven the 12v cummins, and the 7.3 idi, and powerstroke. all good engines when combined with a manual tranny.

these engines combined with an auto tranny and a 30' gooseneck loaded down with cows =

dodge stock auto trannys =
they need ATS treatment to make them good.

12v Cummins &amp; Allison 5 speed = hey! a boy can dream!

i would have bought the Ford if i where you. you just cant beat that crew cab.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ctd is cheaper and easier to work on. Pulling a lot of trailers you will really want a std trans on either model. The 03 dodge crewcab seems to have alittle less room inside at the back than the ford. The gooseneck set up isn't any more or harder than a 2500. I haul anywhere from 10k to 28k on my trailer and I have been real happy with my ctd compared to the psd and usaully get a lot better mileage than the psd loaded.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:49 AM
Muted User

Both trucks are great... but for what it's worth I feel the ford is better quality when it comes to interior, design and build... but the Cummins is a lot, I mean a lot, easier to work on, and cheaper.

Ford = Great truck - Okay Engine

Dodge = Okay truck - Great engine
Old 10-09-2002, 11:51 AM
KC

For a side by side it is real hard, the new fords are not out yet as well as the New Auto HD auto (Dodge) everyone is talking about. You will need to wait at least till next year (03).<br><br>KC
Old 10-09-2002, 12:02 PM

i'm excited to test drive the 6.0 litre myself as my dad wants to see what they can do (trying to get him back into diesel).<br><br>http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2003...ive/page1.html<br><br>read that, it's somewhat bias, but it's not too bad. the 5 speed auto seems to be much better over the allison for shifting purposes and the such. they didn't put the HO cummins against the other trucks so that was unfair (and is noted- looks like DC didn't send them a truck).<br><br>http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2003...drive_hd1.html
Old 10-09-2002, 12:03 PM

happy birthday Superduty12v. Gonna go have a legal beer tonight?
Old 10-09-2002, 12:23 PM

[quote author=Superduty12v link=board=8;threadid=5705;start=0#50326 date=1034182152]
Both trucks are great... but for what it's worth I feel the ford is better quality when it comes to interior, design and build... but the Cummins is a lot, I mean a lot, easier to work on, and cheaper.

Ford = Great truck - Okay Engine

Dodge = Okay truck - Great engine
[/quote]

as of the current dodge's and ford's out there, i feel the same exact way! i wish that i could have gotten a Ford with a Cummins. i used to be just a one-brand(er) when i was younger, but now i can accpet that blue oval--especially after driving a couple powerstrokes.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:53 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

Having driven both an 03 Dodge 3500 (mine) and a variety of SuperDuties (not the 6.0 L though), I've found that the new 03 Dodge is much more refined on the handling side. If you can use nimble to describe an 8000 lb truck, then the Dodge deserves it. Turning radius is better than the Ford. Steering quickness is much better due to Dodge using a quick ratio box on the new heavys. The Ford will ride a little better, but since I like a firm ride, I still give the thumbs up to the Dodge.<br><br>If reference to the Cummins vs the new Common Rail 6.0L, I'm willing to wager good money that the Cummins will still outpull it. An in-line 6 can give up some cubes and some HP, and still outpull an 8 due to sheer lugging ability. The new Cummins also has _much_ more torque down low than the 7.3 (or I suspect the 6.0). My stock 01 24 valve would outpull any stock 7.3L and the Common Rail Cummins is way stronger than my 01 HO.<br><br>The Common Rail Cummins is more likely to be bug free as they've been in use for the past 3 years (its not a new engine or concept). Add this to the Cummins reputation for high quality, well engineered products, and I don't think the Navistar has a chance. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Navistar is still a light duty diesel, while the Cummins is a medium duty.<br><br>Rod
Old 10-09-2002, 06:39 PM

sheep man 8) - seems right. i'm sorta sure the new 6.0 litre will beat the cummins on racing (all stock), but that lugging ability wont be there. anyways, how's the overall feel of the truck? does it feel somewhat boxy (like the seats) or overfuturistic? does the different angled windsheild and big hood make vision worse over a 2nd gen?
Old 10-09-2002, 10:18 PM
Banned

I don't care if the new ford is stronger, faster, or quicker. It's still a FORD. Had a bad experience with em. Although the current experience I'm having with my dealership ain't that great.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:43 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=98rammer link=board=8;threadid=5705;start=0#50564 date=1034206776]<br>sheep man 8) - seems right. i'm sorta sure the new 6.0 litre will beat the cummins on racing (all stock), but that lugging ability wont be there. anyways, how's the overall feel of the truck? does it feel somewhat boxy (like the seats) or overfuturistic? does the different angled windsheild and big hood make vision worse over a 2nd gen?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah I would think the 6.0L will be a quicker truck out of the box, but if Ford remains true to their current philosophy, its also going to be much tougher to turn up the wick on.<br><br>The new truck feels solid. Tight. Everything seems to scream 'well engineered' although I haven't had a chance to really dig into the truck. I'm still wearing the 'new truck grin' so my objectivity will be low. The seats are very hard right now, but my 01 was the same until they 'broke in'. The interior actually reminds me of a 60's Dodge truck. Lots of dash space, all flat, with nothing in it. There are a load of pockets everywhere, but none of them particularly useful for anything.<br><br>The sloped hood actually makes vision better than the 01. I'm not necessarily sure if you have more viewing area, but there isn't as much hood to look at, so it definitely presents the view of a panarama. The A-pillars, while still not as narrow as other trucks, are a little smaller than the 2nd gens. The B-pillar on a Reg. Cab is massive though. Makes it really tough to do a shoulder check on the left.<br><br>Rod
Old 10-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Muted User

Thanks, palo. By the time I got done working on my truck last night I barely made it for last call and squeezed a couple of beers and shots in. Didn't get toasted but I did get hot over that bartender
Old 10-10-2002, 09:05 PM

8) The Dodges all get better mpg than the Fords also ..Let's see if that holds true with the new quieter 03's
Old 10-14-2002, 10:40 AM

have you guys heard the 03's diesel straight piped. They don't sound very good. The sound kinda like a rice burner. <br>just me 2 cents

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge 3500 vs. Ford F350