General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dodge 3500 vs. Ford F350

Old 10-14-2002, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Dodge 3500 vs. Ford F350

I went by the dealer this weekend (DODGE). He had a new crew cab with the HO six speed. In my opinion I would stay away from any auto PEROID . I currently have one and am planning on spending some serious money to make it reliable with the awesome hp with the diesel. I have a friend with a FORD dealership. He had a man wanting a PSD with an auto. The tranny expert told him hands down if you plan on pulling any loads of any weight and have to back them up much the auto tranny WILL NOT HOLD UP. <br>My vote hands down and Ive researched as much as anyone New Dodge with the six speed. Ford is known for its first year screw ups<br>
Old 10-14-2002, 06:30 PM
Muted User

I haven't even heard one run muchless run straight. I'm not so sure I'd like a nopi sounding truck... actually I know I wouldn't.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:46 PM

i finally saw 2 crew cab duallies in a dealership. the one we checked out had the auto. it surprised me, it was a lot taller and nicer than in the pictures i had seen. it's still too quiet though.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:02 AM
KC

I hope mid year Dodge is going to replace its Auto with a new one that will handle the H.O. engine!<br><br>KC
Old 10-15-2002, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

ROCKNRAM:<br><br>Sorry to hear you are not happy with your auto!<br><br>There are many members that share your opinion,<br>but I believe that with the new transmissions from<br>ATS, DTT, Pro-Loc and a few others that most of<br>the &quot;problems&quot; with the &quot;stock&quot; Dodge 47RE trannys<br>can be very successfully solved! My &quot;stock&quot; Dodge<br>transmission lasted until 98,000 miles with only a<br>&quot;Trans-Go&quot; Shift Kit with many hard towing miles<br>on it. I recently installed the ATS Stage IV and<br>can tell you that it definitely performs very well!<br><br>Ford will be installing a new 5-speed automatic<br>transmission in their 2004 Ford PSD with the new<br>6.0 diesel engine. This transmission functions<br>very similar to the Allison transmission found<br>in the Chevy Duramax. A recent &quot;road test/<br>shootout&quot; was done on the www.pickuptruck.com<br>website between the new Ford PSD, Dodge CTD<br>and Chevy Duramax. I am not a Ford fan, but<br>the results showed the Ford to be a contender.<br><br>--------<br>John_P<br><br>
Old 10-15-2002, 02:06 PM
Muted User

True... but who wants to pay $44,500.00 for a new Ram just to go pay some transmission shop another $5,000 to put in a tranny that should have came in the truck in the first place? Not I, said the sheep.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:12 AM
KC

[quote author=Superduty12v link=board=8;threadid=5705;start=15#53144 date=1034708784]<br>True... but who wants to pay $44,500.00 for a new Ram just to go pay some transmission shop another $5,000 to put in a tranny that should have came in the truck in the first place? Not I, said the sheep.<br>[/quote]<br><br>The new ford is early next year, Dodge may also have a new trans for early next year as well.<br>We will have to wait and see.<br><br>KC
Old 10-16-2002, 03:20 PM

I saw the new 2003 Dodge Heavy Duty at the local dealership this weekend. First one I had seen up close in our area. My suspicions from pics I have seen were right, Dodge does not make a crew cab. The 4 door model is a quad cab which is really an extended cab. The rear doors and seating area in the quad cab are much smaller than that offered in the Ford Crew Cab or the GM trucks for that matter. Why can't Dodge make a crew cab? Instead they offer this half baked cab and a half truck. I am not sure about the styling change either. Maybe it grows on you but so far I don't care for it. <br><br>I also understand that a new automatic transmission that will mate to the HO diesel is due out sometime next year. Anyone know when? I understand it is to be a 4 speed, is that correct? If so, what's up with that? Their competitors are offering 5 speed autos.<br><br>I really like the CTD and am quit impressed by the new HO's numbers, but I am having serious doubts about the truck wrapped around it.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:50 AM

jsc01 -- The new 6.0L Power Stroke mated with the TorqShift 5-speed automatic looks like it will be a powerful combination. 8) All the reviews that I have read have been really positive. I think Ford actually designed a transmission specifically for the diesel application this time around. 8) <br><br>Another thing to consider though is that both engines (Power Stroke &amp; Cummins) will be new in their respective trucks for the 2003 model year.<br><br>The 6.0L Power Stroke has seen service for quite a while as the International VT 365 in International 4200 Medium Duty Trucks and 3800 Commericial Buses. Here's a link to the International web page on the VT 365. 8)<br><br>International Engines - VT 365<br><br>Cheers from Tulsa, OK! <br>Dave
Old 10-17-2002, 12:21 PM

Personly I think that the crew cab look (4 full doors) is just plain UGLY . Just my opinion though ;D
Old 10-18-2002, 10:43 PM
DBR

We presently own a 97 2500 and a 2001.5 3500 and are very satisfied overall with the vehicles. The reason we purchased the 2001.5 was that we saw the appearance of the 1500 3rd generation in the TDR and just laughed. Once we regained our composure, we figured we’d make the purchase and avoid the risk that the 3500 would look the same. The quandary we have now is that we would like a true 4-door dully to replace my beloved 97, and the Ford is the only chasse that we have found that we like. Actually, we came very close to purchasing the Ford instead of our 3500, but the wife wanted the Dodge and I wasn’t going to argue with her logic. The question now is: do we wait for Dodge to get their act together on the 4 gen truck or take the risk of becoming Ford owners again? The Powerstoke may get a lot of flack from Cummins owners, but is it really justified? Are the Powerstoke’s that inferior to the Cummins? Personally, what we’ll give up in the power train will be easily made up in the chasse. What do all of you think?<br><br>
Old 10-19-2002, 12:19 AM
Muted User

The Ford is definately a much much better Body/Chassis. Much better. The 7.3 liter has been around for over 18 years I believe it's been. I consider that &quot;Tried and True&quot;. The only reason I own a Dodge is because of the Cummins. The only reason I own a Cummins is because it has 7 main bearings and 6 rods; Opposed to 5 main bearings and 8 rods. My logic for owning a Cummins is that simple... as dumb as it may be...plus being a simple setup. Other than that the PSD is a good engine for a V8. The best V8 diesel prolly. Not to mention the Sterling 11.25&quot; rear axle that a Superduty has that makes our Dodges Dana 80 look like a Dana 44. And like I said, definately the best Chassis. I had a `99 F-350. I've never driven anything nicer than it. Never.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:23 AM

I work for International. And my opinion so far about the 6.0 is it is a great engine.This engine is the only engine to offer a variable turbo. All this does is the vanes in the turbo are adjustable to load. It acts like a small turbo when accelerating so the turbo can spool up faster eliminating turbo lag and when it gets up to speed the turbo acts like a big turbo moving a larger volume of air. The 6.0's injection system is superior to the cummins. As logic would say the cummins should have less bugs in it because in fact it is basically the same engine it was a few years back but better. Where as the 6.0 is not just a redesigned 7.3. The 6.0 is designed around EGR technology. It is a cleaner,more powerful,and quieter(good or bad depending on preference) than the cummins diesel. As far as the truck itself goes Ford makes a good crew cab. I drive a 2000 F-250 currently.I am looking to buy a 98 Dodge 3500 dually,reason being I love the way they look. To me they look like the over the road counterparts that I love. A Dodge would save you in the wallet and you get a great truck. It all depends if the new 6.0 is worth the extra money to you. Test drive them both as many times as you need to before investing in eithere of these. Either way you will be left a happy man. Good luck on finding the right truck!!
Old 01-01-2003, 10:08 AM
KC

[quote author=Diesel Tech link=board=8;threadid=5705;start=15#86887 date=1041409382]<br>I work for International. And my opinion so far about the 6.0 is it is a great engine.This engine is the only engine to offer a variable turbo. All this does is the vanes in the turbo are adjustable to load. It acts like a small turbo when accelerating so the turbo can spool up faster eliminating turbo lag and when it gets up to speed the turbo acts like a big turbo moving a larger volume of air. The 6.0's injection system is superior to the cummins. As logic would say the cummins should have less bugs in it because in fact it is basically the same engine it was a few years back but better. Where as the 6.0 is not just a redesigned 7.3. The 6.0 is designed around EGR technology. It is a cleaner,more powerful,and quieter(good or bad depending on preference) than the cummins diesel. As far as the truck itself goes Ford makes a good crew cab. I drive a 2000 F-250 currently.I am looking to buy a 98 Dodge 3500 dually,reason being I love the way they look. To me they look like the over the road counterparts that I love. A Dodge would save you in the wallet and you get a great truck. It all depends if the new 6.0 is worth the extra money to you. Test drive them both as many times as you need to before investing in eithere of these. Either way you will be left a happy man. Good luck on finding the right truck!!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Diesel Tech I have a question if you know (I am just looking for the answer) With the new PSD and its increase in horses and torque why does it have the lowerest towing rating?<br><br>KC<br><br>
Old 01-01-2003, 04:04 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Diesel Tech link=board=8;threadid=5705;start=15#86887 date=1041409382]<br>1) This engine is the only engine to offer a variable turbo.<br><br>2) The 6.0's injection system is superior to the cummins. As <br><br>3) It is a cleaner,more powerful,and quieter(good or bad depending on preference) than the cummins diesel.<br>[/quote]<br><br>First, I want to make sure that I don't come across as hacking on the Ford (I like the SuperDuty line. I think they look great, and they are undeniably tough trucks) or to start a brand war, but I do have a couple comments to make:<br><br>1) Currently, yes. But Cummins has stated that they will be adding the VGT to the 5.9 in the Dodge, as they are already doing in the medium duty trucks up here in Canuckville. This is a good and bad scenario: Great concept but the VGT Holsets are not holding up well.<br><br>2) How is the injection system superior? This is for knowledge sake, not hacking ;D The Bosch system is very simple with its two stage pump and the injectors themselves are also very simple. Simple is good ;D I do know that the Bosch system despises having the injection pressures raised much above the 23,000 PSI level.<br><br>3) This is debatable. Right now, the Ford trucks with the 6L are not performing to advertised figures on load test dynos. There have been at least three shows in the past two months where the stock Dodge HO's have outperformed the Fords. And I realize that dynos aren't everything, but I've outpulled at least one 6L thus far with my HO up the river hill, and I had a heavier load on.<br><br>Rod

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge 3500 vs. Ford F350