Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dodge 1500 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 96_12V
Several reasons I can think of for not using the 4bt (good as it is...)

Vibration
wrong. common urban legend. i run one on simple chevy 350 rubber mounts. i have no other dampening.

Weight
700lbs is heavy, but not too bad

Emissions (Most 4bt's are not electronically controlled)
no idea, haven sniffed it

"Image" (who would buy a 4-cylinder full size truck in this country?)
i would. ive pulled more stuff out of the mud, pushed down trees and recently pulled a 15000lb (trees) deckover gooseneck out of a mud hole.

all that and i get 30+mpg at 55, 25+ at 70mph. im running 4.56 gears and 38" tires. while i cant pull a 4 horse trailer on the interstate at 70, i dont own a horse trailer,or 4 horses.
i can go 750 miles per tank, and offraod all weekend and burn less than 5 gallons of diesel.

the vibration issue is not true at all. matter of fact we are currently installing one in an 1986 k5 blazer.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:53 AM

If Dodge isn't working on a diesel 1500, Ford appears to be

From August 4, 2004 Autotech Daily:

Ford Motor Co. plans to introduce a 6.2-liter V-8 and new gasoline and diesel V-6 engines beginning in 2007, reports Automotive News. A new version of the automaker’s Powerstroke V-8 diesel also is in the works.........................
.....................The new V-6 diesel likely will be supplied by Cummins Inc. It is expected to be used in the Expedition, F-150 and possibly the Navigator sometime after 2007. A new version of the 6.0-liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel used in Super Duty pickups also is in the works. The current V-8 is supplied by Navistar, but this may change due to recent problems between the two companies.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Commatoze
If Dodge isn't working on a diesel 1500, Ford appears to be

From August 4, 2004 Autotech Daily:

Ford Motor Co. plans to introduce a 6.2-liter V-8 and new gasoline and diesel V-6 engines beginning in 2007, reports Automotive News. A new version of the automaker’s Powerstroke V-8 diesel also is in the works.........................
.....................The new V-6 diesel likely will be supplied by Cummins Inc. It is expected to be used in the Expedition, F-150 and possibly the Navigator sometime after 2007
. A new version of the 6.0-liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel used in Super Duty pickups also is in the works. The current V-8 is supplied by Navistar, but this may change due to recent problems between the two companies.
I think it's wishfull thinking that Ford can get Cummins to supply them.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 96_12V
Several reasons I can think of for not using the 4bt (good as it is...)

Vibration

Weight

Emissions (Most 4bt's are not electronically controlled)

"Image" (who would buy a 4-cylinder full size truck in this country?)

I do believe that Cummins builds a lighter duty Inline 6, this would be a smoother and less weighty option, but again, it has to meet the very strict emissions standards, and keep meeting them after '07. Please, don't forget this factor looming over our heads!

Good to see other Illinois people here!
No problem with vibration.

Weight isn't a problem with the I-4. After all it's going into a 1/2 T truck.

Who cares?

I'll take two.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:26 PM

Thx 96_12v & induchman.

Good thought about the larger diameter tires. I like the looks of the 12.5" wide ones but anything over that is too wide for my taste. I'll try Schaumberg Dodge next. I live less than 10 miles from the WI border and diesel is harder to come by than I'm used too. I'm still vibrating after a new front and a balanced rear

I'm still using the dealer being under warranty - dumb not to.

I figured these engines would run best at 2250 rpm (PTO speed for most tractors) figured that's the RPM they would be designed for

I'd sure like an economical 80-85mph (Speed limit is 75 in the parts of TX I'm from).

Have met one good fella here a few houses down, from Antioch. The guys in the city I still haven't figured out

Driving in the city is a full contact sport, it seems let alone finding a parking garage tall enough to get my stock truck in

Pretty place though, reminds me a lot of TX, just colder...
Old 11-23-2004, 12:05 AM

Regarding my earlier post; I am stating issues that would be brought up by a normal consumer--not a current diesel truck owner. Suppose one unfamiliar with a 4BT walked up and popped the hood of a 1/2 ton truck with this engine under it. On this site, the majority of people know it would be an excellent setup for lighter work. However for an average person with a half-ton, who uses it for commuting, they would need quite a bit of convincing to buy it.

I wouldn't mind, say, a Dakota or a Ranger with one of these engines in it, however as I stated emissions are a factor. Don't like it? Write to your congressman! Get the '07 reg's changed! Understand that this is the very reason you are not seeing more diesels in lighter-duty vechiles as it's all over in '07 if they can't meet emissions. If you would like to understand this more, check the link below:

http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/light.html

I'm not against such a vechile, I just understand that regulations have to be dealt with.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:47 PM

FOUR WHEELER magizine january 2005 page 16 cummins 5.6L 300hp@3800rpm 460lb-ft @1700-2200 wt 766lbs in a 1500 dodge proto type
Old 11-24-2004, 02:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's quite a writeup on the ne V8 CTD in the new TDR rag. Good reading.

There IS some mention of the possible conflict between the Hemi and the V8 CTD in terms of market position.

Truth is, it may not be a conflict at all. Diesel buyers are diesel buyers, gas buyers buy gas. Or so the thinking goes.

Maybe the diesel will win converts when more of them get on the road and people see the power AND mpg they can get. The Europeans have already awakened to this, as 1/3rd of all cars sold there are diesels. Here it's only 0.3%

This new V8 diesel is also the cleanest diesel in existence in the US, in terms of emissions. It already meets tier 2 emissions coming up in 2007. Not bad for the numbers it's putting up.

I wouldn't expect a bombed 5.6L V8 to have quite the grunt and durability that the 5.9L I6 has, but I can almost guarantee that it would be a LOT faster when bombed.

Justin