General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
View Poll Results: Do you recycle waste oil? (In the present, not 1970's)
I recycle it and all my friend do.
70.49%
I recycle it but know people who don't.
20.77%
I bury it behind the 'ole shack, my friends do the same.
8.74%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Do you dump your waste motor oil in the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you dump your waste motor oil in the ground?

I was talking about this with my friend today. Do you guys recycle your waste motor oil at a collection center? Or do you (or know someone who does) just bury it in the backyard somewhere? I sure hope everyone recycles it. I guess if you "recycle" it back in your fuel tank that counts as disposing of it properly. Don't be afraid, votes are anonymous.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:13 AM

I remember years ago everybody used to just open the plug and drain it on the ground somewhere but do that now and you risk paying for an environmental cleanup .
Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 AM

I change my own oil & it's like getting a rebate when I dump it in the tank approx $10.00 worth!I also have a few friends & etc & get their oil too.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:53 AM

I recycle it now but I remeber back when I was five or six (23 now) and I used to help my dad change oil on stuff he would dump it along the side of the garage. Maybe thats why our water tasts funny, lol
Old 06-24-2008, 06:43 AM

I take it to the auto supply store where they have a tank to pour it into. But, be advised that if you have any contaminated oil, like with water, they won't take it! I have a gallon jug full, that I'm stuck with. I'm also now wondering if they accept synthetic oil at the recycle center.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:39 AM

I use it in the chain oilers on my New Holland baler.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:22 AM

I just dump it in the tank when i am done . . . .
Old 06-24-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yikes, I can see this one getting locked.

We get hands slapped for guys talking about removing their Cat. Converter an you expect people to admit to pouring oil on the ground?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Kind of anodd poll. I have no idea what other people do. I take my to the city recycling place.

Took a jug last year that had about 1000 june bugs in it. Had no idea how they got there. I store it in a closed container with a tight screw on lid.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 AM

I have my oil changed here at work and it gets picked up as waste oil.

But when I was a kid in my dads shop it was my many times a day job to empty the oil drain pans into the back forty. I dumped back there for years from 1966 - 1978. We used to scrub the 3 bay shop down with solvent every month and hose it out & squeegy it off. The floor would be very clean and white. The solvent and grease mixture would travel into the gutter and down the storm drains and I know now into our streams and rivers

We stopped doing this when the county and everyone started worrying about it and sent letters to auto shops warning of fines.

After we stopped dumping the oil in the back forty the blackberry bushes went crazy and started putting out more big juicy blackberries than ever. It made for the best blackberry pie ever.

Maybe 10w40 is a growth hormone for blackberries

I know better than to dump oil on the ground now, but sometimes it amazes me that I can tell a customer that they have a massive leak on their engine. If they don't fix it they are doing the same thing my father did. Putting oil into the storm drain system.

Oh and by the way don't worry about the oil can shaped birthmark on bothl my kid's foreheads. I'm sure it did'nt come from the Berry Pies I ate.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:34 AM

I save it up in a 25 gallon drum and spray it on our long dusty road in the summertime. Works great. What comes from the ground, goes back to the ground. It's only mankind that creates environmental problems when there isnt any.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:36 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't imagine there even being a QUESTION as to what we do with the oil.

I'm still amazed that some people don't separate their trash either by law or volunteer. We actually create more recyclable waste than non at this point in our house, almost by 2 to 1.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 AM

Mine goes to the parts store for collection, when I change my own oil. Can you really add it back into your tank with no ill effects? I'd think that would potentially crap up your fuel filter quicker... I guess maybe I'm just protective of my vp44....
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 AM

I normally have my oil changed, but in the rare times that I change it myself I usually have a limb pile or something that needs burned so I dump it there and burn it. Had an old stump I couldn't kill for the life of me once, dug a little trench around it, filled with oil and lit it. Burned about 10 gallons of oil around that stump and got rid of it!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tray
I normally have my oil changed, but in the rare times that I change it myself I usually have a limb pile or something that needs burned so I dump it there and burn it. Had an old stump I couldn't kill for the life of me once, dug a little trench around it, filled with oil and lit it. Burned about 10 gallons of oil around that stump and got rid of it!
2.5 gallons of waste motor oil to get a fire going?

Schew. You should really consider just letting Jiffy Lube take care of your truck in the future.

Quick Reply: Do you dump your waste motor oil in the ground?