General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
View Poll Results: Do you recycle waste oil? (In the present, not 1970's)
I recycle it and all my friend do.
70.49%
I recycle it but know people who don't.
20.77%
I bury it behind the 'ole shack, my friends do the same.
8.74%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Do you dump your waste motor oil in the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
BTW, Jiffy Screw doesn't use lifts; you drive over a pit.
Depends on which one you go to. I've seen some that use pits and some use lifts. Some Wal-Marts use lifts and some use pits. Some places like Midas use lifts and some use pits.. etc etc.

I typically work 6 days a week. Some places around the country isn't bad, other places it's next to impossible to find a place to change your oil on a sunday or even after 6pm on a weekday.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good god, that is heavy. You run stock tires and rims with that weight?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Good god, that is heavy. You run stock tires and rims with that weight?
Yep, rims and tire size are both stock. I also pull a fifth wheel that weighs in right about 17k, maybe a touch over, and my rails are a little behind center of axle. Actually center of rails lines up right about even with the back of the tires. I have airbags to help with the weight, but the trailer pulls just fine, and stopping is no problem at all. Between the disc brakes on the 02 and trailer brakes, I can probably stop quicker with the trailer than I can without it!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:23 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No doubt.

You wanna be nice to your brakes? You should look into an exhaust brake. Works wonders, I won't go without one now that I know what they can do.

Man, 29+ g's loaded. Hmm, that's heavy.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
No doubt.

You wanna be nice to your brakes? You should look into an exhaust brake. Works wonders, I won't go without one now that I know what they can do.

Man, 29+ g's loaded. Hmm, that's heavy.
An exhaust brake was next on my list until I had to buy a new IP, Injectors, block, have the block installed, fass, etc. about 22k spent on the truck in the past month plus when my truck broke down I wanted to get me and my trailer home so I bought a 2000 ford 7.3 for 12k, so so over 30k out of my bank account in the past month alone. Exhaust brake will have to wait a couple months!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 PM

I was worried that my landlord might whine about the occasional oil spot from one truck or another that I have around here. My concern was immediately dissolved when I went over and saw that he dumps oil around his sheds to kill the grass so that he doesn't have to mow close to it...
Old 06-24-2008, 10:56 PM

Interesting results. Glad to see most people do the right thing. I wonder if people in Mexico care as much. Same sort of thing applies to R-12 refrigerant from the old A/C systems. I'm sure lots of people just vent that into the air especially since you actually have to pay to get it evacuated.

Originally Posted by Tocapet
I take it to the auto supply store where they have a tank to pour it into. But, be advised that if you have any contaminated oil, like with water, they won't take it! I have a gallon jug full, that I'm stuck with. I'm also now wondering if they accept synthetic oil at the recycle center.
I'm sure I've disposed used oil with a little bit of water in it and nobody said anything. You wouldn't be able to tell anyway. If I were you I'd try another place.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:16 PM

You could always just leave your "contaminated" oil outside their door after closing.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bobcat698
You could always just leave your "contaminated" oil outside their door after closing.
That and "burn is burn" as I like to put it.

I've heard of some things before the Nixon era (whada say a Republican initiated the EPA!). Like dumping waste oil into the scrap barrels to be hauled away... Hell, it was just extra weight anyway right!

I take mine to o'reiliys. I've got enough though I probably just need to burn with a bunch of brush and stumps.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Interesting results. Glad to see most people do the right thing. I wonder if people in Mexico care as much. Same sort of thing applies to R-12 refrigerant from the old A/C systems. I'm sure lots of people just vent that into the air especially since you actually have to pay to get it evacuated.

I'm sure I've disposed used oil with a little bit of water in it and nobody said anything. You wouldn't be able to tell anyway. If I were you I'd try another place.
Hello,

Did you know that one of the most toxic nerve gasses ever developed is a by-product of 134-A being produced? It is a give an take situation. I personally do not know what is worse since the by-product is not regulated. They burn it upon production. Concentrated waste is a big concern. Again concentrated waste is a big concern. We as humans need to distribute our waste. How, I do not know? Concentrating our waste I do know is wrong. Let's take a lesson from nature. Animals distribute it over their area. We need to do something along the same lines. Exactly what I do not know.

Damon
Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM

I actually was going to do the "right" thing and take the oil into the local Kragens auto parts store and 'recycle' it. But when I got there, I had four 1- gallon jugs full from an oil change and the guy there said they can only take 10 gallons a week and it (the holding tank) was full. I went back again twice more in the following weeks and the same story. So, I wasted more fuel trying to take it in than it was worth. If this recylce thing is so great, why can't you find a **** recycle center for any amount of oil.
It just \gets so frustrating. I'm done trying to be a "good little boy" and if it aint convinent, it ain't going to happen.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:14 AM

At the ranch I used to work on, the guy always used to change the oil in his truck by just going out to the back and stoppin in the middle of the road and draining it right there. I couldn't believe he was doin that. I always save a lot into 5 gallon hydraulic oil buckets then take it in at once, and usually the o'reilly here doesn't mind. I tried auto zone and you can only bring like 3 gallons in a day per person. I agree if they want us to recycle so bad, then they should make it easier and have some kind of big oil recycling dumps.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Save it up, use it in the woodburner for the shop in the winter.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 AM

Our local Fire Station has an oil burner for the winter. I take it to them. They don't care how much you have, glad to have it.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sewman
I change my own oil & it's like getting a rebate when I dump it in the tank approx $10.00 worth!I also have a few friends & etc & get their oil too.
You bet. I have a 55 gallon drum on the back of the truck to add to both the Dodge and big truck. The old 12 valve runs so much smoother on drain oil, probably 20 percent.

Quick Reply: Do you dump your waste motor oil in the ground?