General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
View Poll Results: Do you recycle waste oil? (In the present, not 1970's)
I recycle it and all my friend do.
70.49%
I recycle it but know people who don't.
20.77%
I bury it behind the 'ole shack, my friends do the same.
8.74%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Do you dump your waste motor oil in the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cdennyb
I save it up in a 25 gallon drum and spray it on our long dusty road in the summertime. Works great. What comes from the ground, goes back to the ground. It's only mankind that creates environmental problems when there isnt any.
Problem is after oil gets exposed the the combustion process it turns into all sorts of nasties, it's not the same stuff that came out of the ground.
Back when it was legal to dump waste oil on farm roads I did it all the time until noticing after a good rain that the rainbow shean that oil gives off with water was hundreds of feet out into the fields from the roads.
Can't be good to be spreading it everywhere.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad has a bunch of acreage and when I was a kid(15 years ago or so) I remember just dumping it out in the bushes, we got some pretty mean sagebrush to grow in some spots. But we always had gassers, so the most we ever had was 5 quarts. Now I just do my oil changes at work(Kenworth shop) and my 3 gallons isnt even noticed in the waste oil.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by cdennyb
I save it up in a 25 gallon drum and spray it on our long dusty road in the summertime. Works great. What comes from the ground, goes back to the ground. It's only mankind that creates environmental problems when there isnt any.
Sure. Go ahead and spray some agent orange on your front yard then, sprinkle a little lead on your kids food, and don't forget to season your well with arsenic. All of the above come from the ground so you might as well put them back into it through a filter- you and yours......

The problem is not the oil- the problem is the heavy metals and additives in the oil. I don't dump, I have a well.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:07 AM

I do a lot of oil changes a year with family and friends vehicles. If its syn, gear lube, atf, or ps fluid it gets recycled. The other dino motor oil gets saved to burn in my uncle's farm tractors and a little in my truck.

I do know a lot of people who do not recycle or dispose of oil properly though and most of the time its just pure laziness.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:11 AM

I filter and recycle back through the tank or use as lube oil for my bailer.

When I was a kid my dad would pay me a nickle a post to pour our used oil on wood fence posts. Same fence post are still solid as a rock today and that was 20+ years ago.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
2.5 gallons of waste motor oil to get a fire going?

Schew. You should really consider just letting Jiffy Lube take care of your truck in the future.
As I said, I rarely change my own oil so I usually don't have to worry about it. A lot of places cant/won't change my oil though. My truck is heavy. A 12,000 lb lift won't even think of picking it up. I don't so much use the oil to get the fire going, as much as I use the fire to get rid of the oil. I grew up just dumping it. Figure burning it is better than nothing. I like about 30 miles from the nearest place that changes oil, and I don't know that they'd take mine anyway. As far as I know parts stores around here don't have any oil bins.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"A lot of places cant/won't change my oil though. My truck is heavy. A 12,000 lb lift won't even think of picking it up."

Just curious. Why would yours be any heavier than any of the other 200,000 just like it? How could it possibly weigh more than a 12,000 pound capacity lift can handle? What kind of tires are your running that can carry that much weight?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to leave it alone, but mine can be lifted with a 9,000 lb lift, I know it has to be heavier than his.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a day when the ground worked well, but now.......Recycle every drop of it. I am shocked that some people still put it on the ground
Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tray
A lot of places cant/won't change my oil though. My truck is heavy. A 12,000 lb lift won't even think of picking it up.

Most, if not all, lifts and lifting devises are rated at 2:1 capacity for safety and insurance reasons, so a 12,000 lb lift could "Technically" lift 24,000 lbs. I know your truck cannot weigh more than that.

Back on topic. I recycle every drop of oil I get.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by charliez
Kind of anodd poll. I have no idea what other people do.
Thats what I was thinking. I hope they do what I do, but I've never inquired because honestly, its none of my business.

Our local recycling depot takes everything. So when the oil needs to go, the cardboard goes out, news papers go out, shopping bags go out. Only down side is they are close Monday and Tuesdays. Have to make my run tomorrow, oil jug is full again.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:40 PM

our shop has a oil burning heater an when we change the oil in the summer and pump it out to a holding tank. in the winter we pump it all back in to the heater.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
I was going to leave it alone, but mine can be lifted with a 9,000 lb lift, I know it has to be heavier than his.
My bed is not stock. It's made of 1/4" plate, add a 1800 lb welding machine to that, several hundred pounds of leads, tools, etc, and it's one heavy dog. When I was putting this bed on the truck I had a guy with a small winch truck helping me. The truck lifted the 1800lb machine without a problem, but didn't want any of the truck bed. Lifted his front tires well off the ground.

I'm not making a guess that a lift won't pick it up. I have no idea what my truck weighs, I just simply know that I've had a few places try and lift won't budge it. It picks the front of the truck up about 2" then just stops. Won't even try to pick up the back end. Those same places act surprised and say the lift is a 12,000 pound lift and talk about how heavy my truck must be.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tray
As I said, I rarely change my own oil so I usually don't have to worry about it. A lot of places cant/won't change my oil though. My truck is heavy. A 12,000 lb lift won't even think of picking it up. I don't so much use the oil to get the fire going, as much as I use the fire to get rid of the oil. I grew up just dumping it. Figure burning it is better than nothing. I like about 30 miles from the nearest place that changes oil, and I don't know that they'd take mine anyway. As far as I know parts stores around here don't have any oil bins.
Maybe he went to Hoss's shop and got the famous "Concrete Bedliner" installed!!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:32 PM

BTW, Jiffy Screw doesn't use lifts; you drive over a pit.

Quick Reply: Do you dump your waste motor oil in the ground?