General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Do anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone have a problem with driving on concrete freeways? There are times when driving on certain concrete freeways that my truck will just shake, it happens when I hit a certain section doing 65-70mph on my way to work if I go 75-80 it smooths out. It can real annoying especially going up to Santa Barbara to pickup my Daughter. I put new shocks on hoping that would help and it didn't.
The other thing I was thinking was just adding weight to the back (maybe Hoss can help me out there). Has anybody had this problem and found a solution to it.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:31 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya concrete highways are awful.In a tractor trailer they can almost knock your teeth out
Old 12-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Chapter President

May not seem like much, but the only solution to rough concrete is to find a way around. I know for sure that the wheelbase on the trucks is a big kicker too. The shorter the truck is them worse it will ride.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 PM

Yeah, there is a section of I-15 near the border check point south of Temecula that is awful. But as soon as you hit the SD county line it smooths out. You can see that they've ground and resurfaced the road there. Just depends on the way the concrete segments align themselves. Yeah, you could try the Hoss approach (don't forget rebar) or you could go with this and see if it adds enough weight.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:06 PM

That only goes with a TEXAS plate.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:16 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by usmc2311
Yeah, there is a section of I-15 near the border check point south of Temecula that is awful. But as soon as you hit the SD county line it smooths out. You can see that they've ground and resurfaced the road there. Just depends on the way the concrete segments align themselves. Yeah, you could try the Hoss approach (don't forget rebar) or you could go with this and see if it adds enough weight.
Yeah I drive that section of the I-15 everyday. The worst section, IMO, is the north bound side. Just about as soon as I go under the RainbowHeights overpass, my truck starts bouncing. Diffinitely don't want a hot cup of coffee in my hand when I get there. I've found that it does sorta smooth out with a bit more speed......sorta.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:35 PM

Well, back in the day, you didn't have to worry about going fast there. The Border Patrol was actually able to do their jobs (gasp!) and traffic would be backed up. I wonder how many people they caught there that would try to get off at the Rainbow exit and find themselves pulled over on the other road. But you are right, as soon as you hit the Riverside county line, things get a bit bumpy. The coffee in the hand? You can hold your arm out as a shock absorber and keep it pretty steady. The full can of soda in the cup holder? It's splashing up on to the A/C controls.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:44 PM

I was driving on I5 the other day on my way up to Carlsbad in a 24' Penske truck talking on the phone (that was comical), the guy I was talking to said it sounded like I was out of breath.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by winkle
24" Penske truck
I would think that a 2 foot Penske truck would have a short enough wheel base to smooth out the bumps.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:29 PM

What are you talking about?

The power of edit.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by usmc2311
Well, back in the day, you didn't have to worry about going fast there. The Border Patrol was actually able to do their jobs (gasp!) and traffic would be backed up. I wonder how many people they caught there that would try to get off at the Rainbow exit and find themselves pulled over on the other road. But you are right, as soon as you hit the Riverside county line, things get a bit bumpy. The coffee in the hand? You can hold your arm out as a shock absorber and keep it pretty steady. The full can of soda in the cup holder? It's splashing up on to the A/C controls.
I grew up pretty much in the North County area (Vista, Fallbrook, then Temecula). I've seen the area expand from sleepy urban county controlled communities to independent towns and darn near small cities. I've been driving I-15 to and from San Diego for the last 2 years now; and you know, I can count on one hand the amount of times the border check has been stopping vehicles. Well, then agian I do go thru that area at about 630-7 pm. Maybe I'm just missing all the fun.............yeah right!!!!

And yeah, I hear ya about using my arm as a shock stabilizer. I also have to do the same thing going I-15 southbound right before it meets the southbound I-215. Or anytime I have to drive a tanker to cover one of our drivers.