3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Turbo failure, anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Turbo failure, anyone else have this problem?

On my 2007 3500 Dodge Diesel truck the turbo failed at 11,500 miles. Chrysler is blaming the S&B cold air kit on the failure. This happened just before the factory warranty was due to end so it should have been covered. This truck has had all freeway driving not off road. It had just been in for a recall for J35 Regen Strategy. I was told this has to do with sooting on the turbo. I was not having any problems with it before this. I would love to know if other people have had this same problem and what the outcome was. Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Chrysler is blaming s&b, s&b should have a toll free number that they can contact.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
S&B isnt the problem, but they got the letters right....

Its called BS.

Make em fix it. Then if you want your rig to run right, delete it, smarty it, and drive happy.

Welcome to the DTR!

Vote for our favorite admin Madhat in this months Truck of the Month throwdown!

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n-t270109.html
Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Like Blake said... BS I would contact Chrysler direct and bypass the dealer. There should be some type of arbitration number in your manual that you can call.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:26 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have an S & B on my 2007 with very low miles like yours and would like to know how this turns out for you. Yes, there are known issues previously with the turbos and sooting, especially starting out on the 2007's. The issues with the turbo have not been on the compressor side; it is the turbine (exhaust) side. I don't see how the intake would have anything to do with the turbo failure.

This sounds like a big load of BS that they are throwing on you. I hope you are able to stick in back in their rear.

Let us know how it goes and get the "specific" failure for the turbo.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Magnussen Moss Act... They have to prove the intake damaged the turbo and if that were the case the engine would be dusted as well. They are just trying to get out of fixing their KNOWN issue with those turbos.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
More info on the Magnussen Moss act and your rights

"Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law."

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...#ixzz0pFJFJm9D
Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 PM

it dont help to call chrysler direct trust me the idiots at marnarch dodge in fort lauderdale florida put a flag on my truck on the motor and drive train when i took it to them to look at something popping on the front then said they wouldnt work on it then later when i took it to another dealer in oklahoma to get another isue with the motor hecked out they tried to order parts and it wouldnt let them order thats when i found ou about the flag and called chrysler and raised hell for to days and i still had to pay for the injectors that didnt fix my problem i say if your worried about your warranty have a good and cool shop work on it or put it back stock and if you got a flag on your truck the only one that can raise the flag is a service mgr at a dealer ship i had the guy to where he was gonna do it then his boss wouldnt let him so they are all ford dodge and chevy lookin for ez way out of not paying for stuff that was just my expereince

Last edited by coorsman2005; 06-01-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: i messed up
Old 06-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also if I remember my owners manual correctly it does state something like "Any modifications" to the intake and/or exhaust will void your warranty. Agree on the BS factor but if it was me I would remove any aftermarket items prior to taking it to the dealer just in case. So far I have a good dealer that doesn't look to close unless it is related to a problem. I do remove the tuner but so far not a problem with the intake. I still have the original just in case.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:58 AM

This is an update on my turbo failure. Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. Chrysler refuses to warranty so I am out the $3,100 to fix it myself. It is not the dealer who is giving me the problem. Anyone else who has a problem like this I would suggest that you take the aftermarket parts off before taking it in. They are blaming the different aftermarket parts that I have installed in causing the turbo to fail. I have filled a complaint with the Attorney General's office here in Washington state. Chrysler has even refused to talk with me about this issue. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:06 PM
"California Style"

Thanks for the update and the unfortunate news so far. I'm not sure how that Moss Act applies if there is documentation that states any modification will void. It is BS and everyone knows it.

Again, what failed on the turbo? Was it the intake that was modified and somehow the impellor side is damaged? I highly doubt that. Or is it the turbine side where all that soot is not allowing the exhaust to turn it and do its job! This is a known issue and has nothing to do with filtering the intake air into the turbo.

If you have other "mods" that might make the engine soot up and fail the turbo then that is a bit different maybe.

Just another reason I am not counting on my warantee and fixing "their" issue myself now with the deletes.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by billzickert
This is an update on my turbo failure. Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. Chrysler refuses to warranty so I am out the $3,100 to fix it myself. It is not the dealer who is giving me the problem. Anyone else who has a problem like this I would suggest that you take the aftermarket parts off before taking it in. They are blaming the different aftermarket parts that I have installed in causing the turbo to fail. I have filled a complaint with the Attorney General's office here in Washington state. Chrysler has even refused to talk with me about this issue. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Just went through the same thing with Chrysler and my engine, wouldn't talk to me until I filed a complaint with Montana Attorney General. They got a hold of me and agreed to pay half of the $9000 I paid out. Still a raw deal, IMO, but it is what it is.

Good luck, and I hope that people continue to write their state Attorney General, it's a shame how Chrysler treats it's customers.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:38 AM
"California Style"

Thank goodness for my deletes and "warantee" that way. What a shame about Chrysler performing this way. I hope to avoid such a mess they created (with the EPA) in the first place.

Ya, they've done a good job with us guinea pigs and improving the situation over the years, but they had it pretty screwed up in the beginning and now are not holding up warantee on a known issue.

I hope the poster gets some better results.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My local dealer sells K&N CAI setups. I doubt they would do that if it was a policy to void the warranty on a truck with a aftermarket intake.

What was the acutal failure?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 PM

Sorry not to have written sooner but I have been waiting for these results.
The turbo failure on my truck was found to be the nozzle ring seized due to carbon build up. The company analyzed the failure and determined it to be caused by the VGT vanes seizing from the exhaust gas carbon buildup on the turbine side and has nothing to with the compressor side (fresh air intake) and not allowing the turbocharger to function properly. The exhaust gas carbon buildup is an engine combustion and or fuel issue. There is nothing in their findings that show or support the turbocharger failed due to an air intake problem. In the turbocharging industry we have found that exhaust gas carbon buildup is a common issue in regards to the VGT type turbos. I still have not heard anything from Chrysler or the attorney general on the problem and I have tried to contact both. There is an interesting article in Diesel Power magazine July issue 2010, about rebuilding turbo chargers. Page 158. They say it costs less than $200 for parts to rebuild one, why isn't Chrysler rebuilding them?

Quick Reply: Turbo failure, anyone else have this problem?