General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel community

Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Diesel community

Hey DTR loyal...

A while back, I heard the phrase 'Diesel Community', and thought, man, wish I could be a part of that.

Now, even though I know I'm just an average joe, I know I am part of the diesel community. Whether we drive ford, Dodge, or Chevy, (lower case f on purpose! ), we are a part of something great.

Gents (and ladies), we are a part of something special and important. Support your fellow diesel head, regardless if they are running a 10 in a quarter, or buying their first straight pipe and the only performance box they have heard of is a Banks. We all have to start somewhere, I know I wish I would have had someone to show me the way back then.

My point is, be proud of what we have, and support the new guy. Make him/her feel welcome, and try to show them the ropes. Respect what we have.

Keep the coal rolling!!!!

mad
Old 02-27-2010, 01:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Mark... you been drinkin again????

Seriously enough, you make a good point. I know there were a lot of times back in my earlier years, ( mostly wasted ) that a little help would have gone a long way. More in the gasser / street rod type stuff, than anywhere else.

We are all guilty of looking at someone else' ride, and going " yeah, that's kind of cool, but I wouldn't have done blah blah blah" We pick stuff apart whether we mean to or not.

Ultimately, hey, they built it their way, and if we don't like it, don't look at it. And even if it is a ford..... anyway.

As long as enthusiasts of any sport, help others out, it will all be good in the long run.

keep it on the up and up.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like putting accessories on trucks. I have put on quite a few exhausts, level kits programmers on other people's trucks. I tell tell them bring the parts and a case

I also always stop to help when I see one dead or struck on the road.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey Mark, can the VW and Benz folks get a hug too while you're drunk?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Its pretty real alright. When my truck died in Montana a couple summers back, the two guys who stopped were both Diesels, a Ford and a Dodge. The few others that passed us by were just cars, but the diesel guys both stopped and were familiar with the vp-44 issue, even though it ended up being the ecm.

Pretty cool.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by pind
Mark... you been drinkin again????
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Hey Mark, can the VW and Benz folks get a hug too while you're drunk?
What the heck! That's the last time I say anything heartfelt on here!

Yes, I was drinking a little, but it was not like I was kissing my DTR stickers or anything... Up yours!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I love you too, man!
Old 02-27-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey madhat -- don't let them get to you. I've got a lot of help and great advice from people here on this site about my truck. I was in the custom truck business in the '80's when you could do almost anything you wanted to your truck. I'm new to the diesel world and appreciate the help I get from people who are more knowledgeable than me. I'm the same way when it comes to camping, I'll be the first one to offer a hand when someone is in need or just to shoot the breeze.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

St., I agree. There are a lot of knowledgable people on this site, they have saved my butt a few times.

Keep smiling, Dave!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
I also always stop to help when I see one dead or struck on the road.
Me too! I was praised by a stranded owner when I showed him what a fuel shut off solenoid was, and that it could be kept open with some carefully wrapped duct tape.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have always helped people out when I could. My pop taught me well when I was younger, the diesel side of it is just an added benefit.

I camp with a bunch of folks. Several of my friends drive Duramax's, including my cousin. I kept telling one of the guys to carry an extra fuel filter with him whenever he travels, he just scoffed that it was over rated. Well on an annual trip to Myrtle beach he lost power and died and was calling out on the two way for us to stop. I pop the hood and asked when the last time he changed the ff, he said never its over rated. I say ok, well that's most likely your problem. He says no, then my couisin goes back to his truck and gets his extra ff and hands it to him, I tell him to change it out, I am going to get a sandwich let me know when you are done. 45 min later he comes over and asks for help, so I pull ot my wrench and my 8' length of 3/8 gas line and send it down his tank, put my thumb over the end then draw it out rapidly and fill the ff. Then I pull the wheel well liner and swap out the ff. He fires off the truck and leaves with out saying anything. Oh well, live and learn. He did come over a couple days later with a bunch of beer, I think his wife beat him up over it.

Great post Mad.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Do it to others as they do it to you. No good deed goes unpunished. Things like that. One comment I got was "that is the strongest ugly truck I've ever seen". It was rather embarrassing for a 3rd gen to be drug up a hill horses trailer and all by brute force and ignorance.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Ill go and chime in too.

When I first got my 6.7 Id didnt even realize it had all that EPA junk on it. I was just like, great, a bigger Cummins. Boy was I wrong.

Found this site and well, just got plain addicted. My only regret is I cant do more faster... but all in good time.

Ive gone from a Cummins enthusiast, to a die hard Cummins addict who has DTR as his homepage. Ive learned more than I could have ever expected and know there is so much more that I need and want to learn.

We may get on each others nerves from time to time, but we are all here for one common thing, and usually go out of our ways to help someone who needs.

I for one am grateful.