Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Serve Your Community and the Nation

Old 11-06-2003, 03:47 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Become a Selective Service System Local Board Member

The Selective Service System wants to hear from men and women in the community who might be willing to serve as members of a local draft board.

Prospective Board Members must be citizens of the United States , at least 18 years old, and registered with the Selective Service (if male). Prospective Board Members may not be an employee of any law enforcement occupation, not be an active or retired member of the Armed Forces, and not have been convicted of any criminal offense.

Once identified as qualified candidates for appointment, prospective Board Members are recommended by the Governor and appointed by the Director of Selective Service, who acts on behalf of the President in making appointments. Each new member receives 12 hours of initial training after appointment, followed by 4 hours of annual training for as long as he or she remains in the position. They may serve as Board Members for up to 20 years, if desired.

Local Board Members are uncompensated volunteers who play an important community role closely connected with our Nation's defense. If a military draft becomes necessary, approximately 2,000 Local and Appeal Boards throughout America would decide which young men, who submit a claim, receive deferments, postponements or exemptions from military service, based on Federal guidelines.

Positions are available in many communities across the Nation. If you believe you meet the standards for Selective Service Board Membership, and wish to be considered for appointment please visit our web site at: http://www.sss.gov/fslocal.htm

http://www.defendamerica.mil/articles/sss092203.html

Scary Stuff Huh? Thank goodness My time has been served. ???
Old 11-07-2003, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Serve Your Community and the Nation

Woman want equal rights, shouldn't they have to register along with men?

Kimrey
Old 11-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So...what exactly are they looking for??
Old 11-07-2003, 12:02 PM

If i read it right they want people to decide who will be drafted.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:25 PM

Hmmmm......well, I doubt we'll ever have a need for a draft again....but okay. :-
Old 11-07-2003, 02:30 PM

[quote author=Hoss link=board=10;threadid=22085;start=0#msg207063 date=1068233126]
Hmmmm......well, I doubt we'll ever have a need for a draft again....but okay. :-
[/quote]

Why would you be so sure we wont need a draft again?? Do you not see the danger in the world today? Does Sept 11 ring a bell? People that bury their heads in the sand really have no idea of the danger in the world around them. And sadly there are far more people with their heads in the sand (censored for family oriented site) than there are aware of their surroundings. The undoubtedly frightening idea of the United States initializing the draft process is very real.
I think it best that I stop there and leave it be before I say something I shouldnt.

Keith
Old 11-07-2003, 03:13 PM

On second thought.....nevermind. I went back and erased my response to Wheel's comments in order to keep the peace.

Bottom line, Wheels, is you didn't read what I said very carefully. AND....you don't know anything about how aware I am of the dangers in our world today, so I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you about that. :
Old 11-13-2003, 01:32 PM

I am a proud member of this great country's armed forces and I have seen alot and am very aware of the situations surrounding our great nation. The idea or reality of bring back the selective draft is a really good move for our country, but it has to come from the top down and there are so many bleeding hearts in those top positions. Everybody needs to stand up for our great nation to keep what we have now, A FREE AND GREAT NATION, UNDER GOD !!
Old 11-13-2003, 03:16 PM

I have carried the fear of being drafted with me since I was a little boy. Having to go to war scares the heck outa me. I hope and pray I never have to experience the things my grandfather has shared with me. (WWII Marine, South Pacific)
He has told me some gruesome stories, and I would not wish that stuff on anyone. I take these things very seriously, and if the Lord calls me to serve my country, I will. Its not my decision, its His.

BTW, did any of you guys catch the movie "Band Of Brothers"? i loved it.