24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What purpose does the silencer ring serve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Banned

Location: Newman Lake, WA (But my home is deep in the heart of Texas!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What purpose does the silencer ring serve?

I have read several times where this is removed. Also, another member removed his and the muffler......does this enhance performance? Does anyone know if it is legal in WA state?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:What purpose does the silencer ring serve?

The silencer ring's only purpose is to reduce turbine whine from the turbo.
It does nothing for performance.
Some folks like to hear the turbo sing, others do not.

Removing the muffler only increases sound from the exhaust.
If the truck is high mileage, the muffler may have some soot in it causing a little back pressure and perhaps a little more heat.

There wont be any performance gains from removing the silencer ring and maybe, only marginal gains from removing the muffler on a high mileage truck.
But from what I understand, there should be no performance gains by removing either, just more music... uh, I mean sound.

Rich.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It simply reduces the turbo whistle for people who think their diesel pickup should be quiet inside like a gasser. For old truckers and diesel fanatics it is extra parts and reduces your ability to listen to what your engine is doing. Some claim it reduces air inlet turbulence and improves performance however big trucks and industrial equipment dont use them and swallow much larger volumes of air. PK
Old 10-01-2003, 08:39 PM

My sister came down to visit us and we went to town in my truck. She sat in the back seat and after about 5 minutes back there, she asked, "What is that high pitched whistling noise?" I told her it was the turbo. I was relieved that it still made sweet music. Being in it everyday, I forget how sweet the turbo does sound. In fact, I get my wife to drive it up and down the street every week while I stand on the side of the street. Just so I can here that beautiful whine and the rumble.

Mike
Old 10-01-2003, 10:15 PM

I've been told that removing the muff will decrease 'back pressure' and EGTs. From experience I can tell you it sounds much better.

All states have laws saying that the exhaust system cannot be modified so that it makes more noise than the original. Removing the muff doesn't make that much more noise. I know a number of people in WA running straight pipes. Haven't heard of any problem.

HTH Stan
Old 10-05-2003, 10:00 PM

???I was trying to figure out how ?what the silencer ring is. I found about a 6in long pastic tube with some baffling in it between the air cleaner and the turbo. If that is the silencer ring I see no way to simply remove it and I am reluctant to cut it up in case it is too loud or ?. Am I looking at the wrong gizmo. My truck is an 03 ho 6spd..
thanks
Old 10-05-2003, 10:44 PM

Intruder,

The silencer ring is a spacer that is located in the turbo (at Dodge's request). Its function is to provide laminar airflow for the turbocharger. Removing it will do nothing but make you be able to better hear your turbo spool up. To remove it, take off the intake hose on the turbo inlet. Look inside the turbo and you'll see a snapring. Remove the snapring with 2 small screwdrivers and the "silencer ring" will pop right out. Put your hose back on and you're good to go. Removing it may or may not have warranty implications - it MAY void the warranty on your turbo since you are making an "unauthorized" modification. It shouldnt void anything, but I dunno.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:22 AM

Check out the following link, I think there is more information there.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm
Old 10-06-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The silencer ring has no effect on the performance, like stated it was installed at Dodges request to simply make it quieter for the converted gasser crowd. Dodge B5.9 are the only engines with it, after driving trucks for 25 years it is still to quiet for me. Marine you should have told your passenger thats what real trucks sound like. PK
Old 10-06-2003, 11:40 AM

I did, but I let it slide because she drives an Acura CL.
In fact, PK, she lives in Calgary. Not too far from you.

Mike