General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cummins PT Pump Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins PT Pump Adjustments

Anybody got any good resourses about the old cummins PT style pump, my boss ask me to turn up this old rig that we haul barrier walls and 40' steel rail with, I don't know if its had a smaller button put in it or not but over the years I know they put slightly larger inj's and an ht3b on it.

Any diagrams, links instructions would be great, I know just enough about these pumps to be dangerous

Thanks

Bryan
Old 03-29-2006, 10:57 PM

PT Stuff??

Hi.

Here is a link if you have not read all this yourself?

http://www.dieselinjection.net/BRUCE/articles.html

Pretty good info about the PT engines.

As far as changing the button... does depend on what engine you are playing with... If I recall we would change the button smaller until we got about 250 psi on a snap test (gauge in the plug on the shutoff solonoid and snap the throttle open then idle then full then idle etc and read what the highest reading was. Been years though? Hmmm, you can change the rpm in that pump system too, but again you can cause some trouble if you go too far?

Thing is, if you boost fuel psi and then don't watch the pyro etc, you will melt it down. Other things to consider are engine condition to start with?? Also if you are running and old 335 or something, and it doesn't have piston cooling nozzels in it, again you can burn it up, if you go too far with playing.

Hmmm also the setting on the inj can have some effect on overall perf. Say 70 in lbs, the engine should run clean at idle, 62 in lbs will give a little smoke at idle, but a little more power.

Oh of course any tampering with the fuel system is a no no as far as epa

Mike.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:51 PM

best way is to cange the torque curve and press springs inside but a quick fix is to turn the screw in the pump shaft 1/4 turn =20 lbs fuel press