General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Anybody ever have this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:34 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gs1000
the torque these things make at idle is amazing to me. Once I started mine ,while in the cab, and I was going to go inside the house while the truck warmed up a bit. the parking break was fully engaged from the previouse night and I thought that I had pulled it out of gear. wrong. I dumped the clutch, like anyone would while in neutral, and the truck just started toward the house, freaked me out a bit. I couldn't believe that dumping the clutch didn't stall the engine, but to not stall with the parking break also on, wild.
Mine will override the E-Brake in 2nd and make it around 20 feet in 3rd if I have a brain fart............
Old 01-23-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Glad to hear that no one was hurt, the story just reinforces why I don't have remote starters in my standard trans vehicles. I saw pictures of a diesel truck that was parked outside the garage door, the guy wakes up in the morning and starts the truck with the remote. The truck was in gear and came through the garage door, through the wall at the end of the garage and the front came into the bedroom. It stopped when the wheels hit the back wall of the garage.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Back in my rich porsche driving days I parked in front of a friends house one day. Came back outside to leave and couldn't find my car, I thought someone stole it. When driving standards I always leave it in 1st and engage the parking brake. Well that day I was clueless and after I went inside, I guess the thing rolled literally down the entire block and had stopped along the curb. Luckly it didn't hit a thing after rolling about 100+ yards.

As a kid my father owned a construction company. In working w/a front-end loader, I was moving sand. Well the bucket was about 3ft wider than the tractor portion and when moving the material I clipped the front end of the temp construction trailer office knocking it off the foundation, tearing the plumbing, electrical and water out. Words weren't enough to describe how I felt. Today it's quite funny!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the reason the lawn tractors have those stupid switches under the seat that don't allow you to start unless your but is on the seat.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A buddy of mine and I were out riding (Harley's) and had stopped at an ice cream stand...when we got back on to take off from the place, (you had to crank the throttle a couple of times to get it to fire) he just assumed he'd parked in neutral like most do except on a hill...yep, he hit the button with the throttle half open and his bike shot out from under him like a rocket and ended up bouncing across the parking area into a couple of table...even though I felt sorry for him I almost hurt myself laughing when it happened!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by JD730
Especially a manual trans truck. An auto you can do with no issues.
I have seen once where, with an auto, the driver lifted the shift lever to park, not set the E-brake and jumped out quickly. NOPE, only moved the shift lever to reverse. Trust me, from the looks of it, it is easier to get back in a truck going forward than backward.

Jim
Old 01-28-2008, 10:13 PM

Dad has and still drives a '57 chevy around the farm in Kansas. In the winter, it would be really cold when we went out in the morning to feed cattle with the truck. It has a four-speed manual tranny in it, and we would always leave it nosed up to the haystack as a windbreak. We would start it up, put it in neutral, and go do some other chores while it warmed up. Several times the oil in the tranny was so cold and stiff that the truck would "creep" even in neutral. We never worried about it though, because it always stopped when it hit the haystack.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:48 PM

We put a electric 2 speed axel in a gmc diesel, 2 wheel drive. guy went out to start it one morning around 8 am, could not start it. gave up, put it in park, and went back in the shop. about 11:00 am the boss was out back getting a quick smoke when he looked up and saw a big red truck coming right at him. rolled 50 yards across the parking lot and took quite a few bricks out of the corner of our new lab. boss still takes it personal. apparantly it warmed up enough for what was left of the battery to move the 2 speed to neutral and park does not do much good when the pin is up in the transmission.