General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Anybody ever have this happen?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody ever have this happen?

Ok, I must of had a brain fart this morning. I come outside to start my truck, it is @5 degrees so i thought I would warm it up before I took off for the day. So I reach in, slap the gear shifter into netural (or so I thought!) reach down with one hand to hold the clutch, reach over with the other and turn on the key......next thing I know I am holding on with one hand as I am being drug down my driveway! Finally stops after @10 feet and has run over my daughters bikes, several goose decoys, BBQ grill and a trash can full of trash! I ain't no rookie with stick shifts so I can only assume I had a brain fart Oh well I now need to touch up the ranch hand and replace the bumper cover. Anybody else ever have one of those mornings?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:22 PM

If you had the clutch in it should not have went anywhere.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:28 PM

I think he meant after it started he let the clutch out, but it wasn't totally out of gear and took off.
Sorry to hear that man. Thank god it didn't run over your legs!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:15 PM

Yeah I know, I was trying to pull myself into the cab but it all happened so fast. It is sitting there tonight with it out of gear and the parking brake on. It just goes to show you how easy it is to take things for granted.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Poop happens. Remember that complacency is the enemy. I have done stupder.. Glad you are ok...
Old 01-19-2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by MOAGGIE
Yeah I know, I was trying to pull myself into the cab but it all happened so fast. It is sitting there tonight with it out of gear and the parking brake on. It just goes to show you how easy it is to take things for granted.
I had a friend who had a similar problem so he started parking in neutral. Since the truck was old, the ebrake cable was rusty and the truck took off one day and caused some major damage(hit a beamer). I hope that your ebrake works well.

My friend's four runner has a "clutch cancel" switch that allows you to start it without depressing the clutch. It doesn't have an interlock to the shifter though so there have been a few interesting moments.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:48 PM

the torque these things make at idle is amazing to me. Once I started mine ,while in the cab, and I was going to go inside the house while the truck warmed up a bit. the parking break was fully engaged from the previouse night and I thought that I had pulled it out of gear. wrong. I dumped the clutch, like anyone would while in neutral, and the truck just started toward the house, freaked me out a bit. I couldn't believe that dumping the clutch didn't stall the engine, but to not stall with the parking break also on, wild.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Banned

That is a good reason for you to sit in the truck to fire it up.

I was working at the shop, an older Chev came in needed some electrical work done. Alternator I think.

Anyhow, I hook up the test machine, and go to fire it up. I didn't even notice it was a 4 speed, I just stuck my hand in and turned the key. Well the think lit up and rolled forward. Pushed a VERY expensive (like $30000) test machine into the wall by the time I was able to turn the key off.

No damage other than in my undies luckily. After that, I always got in to fire something up.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:56 PM

i ll admit i hva done it
Old 01-19-2008, 11:01 PM

I once reached in an old AMC to start it that way . .started right up . .problem was, It was a three-on-the-tree!!
Old 01-19-2008, 11:48 PM

my old boss and i went to an auction to look at a 120 trackhoe so anyway he fires it up and runs all the ***** and bales out and says your turn . well i am used to the saftey bar that crosses the door and when lifted it stops all hydrolic functions this one had a little bitty toggle switch. well i ran all the functions and the boss wanted one more look in the cab so i went to step out and my coat caught the swing handle and there we go it swung a quarter turn and didn't hit my boss but sure did wack a old boiler next to it . anyway long walk to office to tell them what happen . they told me who cares . when you think about moves like that i was shook up lucky no one was killed.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:13 AM

I did the EXACT same thing in a hotel parking lot in Chicago! That sucks when that happens. I got mine stopped before any damage was created!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:26 AM

I need pictures!

LoL

That would be worth $$$ on Americas' Funniest HomeVideos!!

Did your little woman get that on video by chance??
Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deezel Nate
That is a good reason for you to sit in the truck to fire it up.
Especially a manual trans truck. An auto you can do with no issues.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:17 AM

My dad and I were working on our '56 jeep in the driveway, getting ready for a major overhaul of electrical and drivetrain. Before we started the work, one night, something shorted out and engaged the starter! With a granny first and 5.38 gears it pushed its way right through the garage door! It was quite a scene to wake up to!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody ever have this happen?