General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel Magazines

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Magazines

As I sat on the throne reading the Dec issue of 8 lug I read with great interest the article on upgrading brakes. When I finished the article, looked the pictures and read the captions I felt ripped off.

They printed an upgrade article about these rick nifty brakes. This guy really knows brakes! We'll show you the photos of a brake guy installing them and the steps you should take.

The rip off was, in my book. No mention of the cost, No before and after. How far did the truck take to stop with stock tires and brakes, how far did the truck take to stop with hero tires and wheels on it? How far after installing the brakes with stock tires? Will they fit under stock tires? How far did they take to stop the hero tires? Brake fade stops and loaded stops too.

If you are going to pimp gear lets have some input as to what it's going to do for you. I'm not saying that if you change your bumper you go out and rail something to see how it holds up compared to stock, but how about how does it effect the ride? How does a winch mount to it blah blah blah.

If these magazines want my $$$ they need to step it up.

Done ranting.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:14 AM

To be blunt, you are reading 8 lug. Thats why you don't see that. Asking 8 lug to be more technical is like asking Pimp my Ride not to make crappy 400000 watt stereo driven cars. If you want technical, read Diesel Power or Diesel World. They are better.

In comparison:
Pimp my Ride < Trucks
8 Lug < Diesel Power

Old 01-24-2008, 03:01 PM

Yeah, but even Diesel Power is going down hill fast, unless your interested in putting a 8" lift and spinners on your truck. How are you suppose to haul a load of cattle or load a pallet of shingles in the back of a truck with an 8" lift and not have to "pimp" your trailer or have the doctor on speed dial for your hernia surgery. Though they sometimes have some interesting articles, I only read them as hand me downs from co-workers, as they are about useless otherwise.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by isu elvi
Yeah, but even Diesel Power is going down hill fast, unless your interested in putting a 8" lift and spinners on your truck. How are you suppose to haul a load of cattle or load a pallet of shingles in the back of a truck with an 8" lift and not have to "pimp" your trailer or have the doctor on speed dial for your hernia surgery. Though they sometimes have some interesting articles, I only read them as hand me downs from co-workers, as they are about useless otherwise.
I am going to have to agree with you there. I'm about to the point where I'll just spend a little bit extra time at Borders or Barnes & Noble, read them there and not waste my money.

And to think I was going to buy a subscription!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think Diesel Power is going down hill. Yeah, they have a few articles on lifted trucks. But they still have many. many articles for just the average towwer. The thing is, most of the truck's out there are not towwing more than a jet ski trailer, sometimes not even that. So Diesel Power also does articles on "sport trucks". JMO

BTW, I have NEVER seen Diesel Power put "spinners" on one of their trucks.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Chapter President

From what I can tell, 8 lug is a magazine for people who have their trucks
"built" diesel power or world is for guys who build their own trucks.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 PM

in the latest issue of Diesel power they even feature a build up on a "rust bucket" first gen Cummins and over the past few issues have been doing diy articles on a 2nd gen 12 valve dually
Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 PM

I just found a copy of Diesel Power the October 07 issue. They also put on "Wiz Bang" new brakes but nothing about how they stopped the truck. Nice how to but not as good as 8 lug as far as doing the job. For me reading these magazines is like looking at Playboy for the articles.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:58 PM

I like Diesel Power's historical diesel engine/vehicle articles. The 30mpg 1 ton Dodge/CTD series is pretty good too.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 94Stepside
in the latest issue of Diesel power they even feature a build up on a "rust bucket" first gen Cummins and over the past few issues have been doing diy articles on a 2nd gen 12 valve dually
they've put way to much time and money into that dually for the HP it's making.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:49 PM

I hate 8 lug... too much bling and rediculous lifts. I like Diesel Power, Diesel World, and theres another one... can't think of it off hand, but I've picked up a few issues of it and have been impressed so far. Haven't read many of Diesel Builder but wasn't to impressed with that one.

Diesel Tech, thats it. Good magazine too IMO.

Last edited by 1BAD4X4; 01-24-2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Remembered the name...
Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 AM

I think the other one your thinking of is diesel tech, I like it but I don't think its monthly. Also I didn't think they have spent much on the dually, I thought they just did injectors and the transmission. But I don't remember to good. I also don't like 8-lug. I kind of think of these magazines as catalogs with the amounts of adds in them, but they do have some good articles.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:53 AM

8-Lug is pure crap.The Diesel Power people started 8-Lug, I guess, to deal with less technical things like lift kits, mud flaps and such. I'd rather they put ALL of that stuff in 8-lug and keep DP about more technical/useful subjects.

Nick
Old 01-25-2008, 04:25 AM

Diesel Power is my favorite. Never even bothered to look at 8-Lug.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 AM

"Diesel Tech" magazine is the best I have seen so far. Seems to be the most grassroots diesel magazine, but I think it is only published quarterly.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Diesel Magazines