General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

All Ford 6.4 tailpipe flames discussion goes here

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it true that Allison is up for sale? If so, I would doubt they would want to team up with Ford.. especially at this point.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to remember GMC/Chevy had terrible diesel motors before the Isuzu Duramax and they survived,this is very big bussiness and I'm sure they will figure it out.Until then there are plenty of died in the wool Ford guys who would rather push their Ford than drive anything else.I'm sure thats how GM kept there big trucks afloat,during their diesel down falls.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM

That sounds like a good plan lets rush engineer an engine, limit research and development, then skimp on testing due to time constraints and plan on it being anything close to reliable. Can't you just see the recalls and TSB's now.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by norwegian Ram
Here is the Volvo D6 . up to 435 hp and 993 Nm at 2000 rpm. can be had in verisions from 310 hp.
Its got a very good reputation in the boats.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/uk/e...006/d6-435.htm

They work fine until you need to find a repairman and parts. Then they're just another hunk of EU junk.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by induchman
They work fine until you need to find a repairman and parts. Then they're just another hunk of EU junk.
Umm..If you are still talking Marine engines here, you needent look very far .
Volvo Penta has approx 200 diesel dealers in the US.
Volvo Penta has just over 2000 gas dealers in the US.
They have a Rapid Response program that puts a diesel tech onboard to assess the problem within 24 hours of the 1st call.
They have a 72 hour parts program in place, to not only get parts here in a short time- but its free if they fail to get it to you.
They just started taking RETAIL sales direct- via internet.

On their worst day they will never be junk- please dont disparage without some facts.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Originally Posted by midlife crisis
Umm..If you are still talking Marine engines here, you needent look very far .
Volvo Penta has approx 200 diesel dealers in the US.
Volvo Penta has just over 2000 gas dealers in the US.
They have a Rapid Response program that puts a diesel tech onboard to assess the problem within 24 hours of the 1st call.
They have a 72 hour parts program in place, to not only get parts here in a short time- but its free if they fail to get it to you.
They just started taking RETAIL sales direct- via internet.

On their worst day they will never be junk- please dont disparage without some facts.

You forgot to mention that their prices are so ridiculously high that it just makes customers mad and sorry they bought Volvo.

Wetspirit
Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Banned

will they wisen up and go to an I6 design to simplify things, get the same power, and better reliability. i doubt it because they know for sure that all those ford guys want to buy their big bad V8's!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:59 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
will they wisen up and go to an I6 design to simplify things, get the same power, and better reliability. i doubt it because they know for sure that all those ford guys want to buy their big bad V8's!
You're so right! Who wants a six when they could have a V8?
Just part of the myth and the Ford hype. "Oh we forgot to mention, we'll have to pull the cab off to tune it up. That big V8 can't be woked on". I wonder if they've come up with quick releases for the cab to make it easier to keep working on it?

Wetspirit
Old 03-28-2007, 03:06 PM

Well now you got me. Its true there are some items that leave me wondering who they had do the pricing on a given widget, but since you brought it up, I have done some comparisons with others- and its a wash.
I have found typical wear items to be more expensive from the likes of Yanmar, Cat & Cummins.
(Yanmar thinks their impellers are made of Gold.) flip side- Volvo VDS Oil ( Valvoline) is cheaper from Volvo than from Valvoline(?)
Other times I have found people (dealers & customers) complaining about the prices of having to buy 6 kits, top end gasket kit, bottem end gk, turbo mntg kit etc when doing an overhaul.
Come to find out- if they just looked a little further they could have bought a complete "overhaul" kit for 1/2 as much.
Okay-so theres a premium on the parts- everybody here says you get what you pay for anyway. Kinda blows the EU junk theory away.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by johnny5.9
They need to proposition Detroit or Perkins for a diesel. They both have diesels that are right around the right size and weight.
Detroit = DC = Dodge = Not gonna Happen!
Perkins = CAT = Probably not gonna happen!

Chris
Old 03-28-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by ckt_santiago
Funny part of them losing everything in 84 is that they were doing just fine and they had been leading the market in innovations for quite some time with their large frame 2wd tractors. Better designed engines, more simple designed transmission that was way overbuilt for the smaller NA versions of the big frames (slightly under-built for the 1466 since no one could resist messin with the pump). Deere didn't have them running scared at all really, should Deere have waited just two more years on their 2 cylinder and not brought out their new tractors the would have gone under. Not to mention Deere waited until what, the mid sixties to put a hydraulically actuated planetary reduced shift mechanism in their trans? Oh and guess who just now decided that a hydrostatic drive in larger tractors is actually useful? Deere! IH was testing hydros when they were designing the M for crying out loud.

Yes the 560 diesel was a nightmare, but then look at the 301 combine diesel built later off the 282 block; 110 NA hp stock and they were extremely reliable.Look at the later versions of the same 5 speed rear end with some slight updates: they put them behind the D312 and had no issues with them in the 666 and 686.

Not to mention International was about to launch a completely new line of tractors at the time of the buyout. Guess what we still got to see them; they just weren't powered by the famed DT466 but instead an 8.3 cummins in the MAGNUM series tractors. Case IH was mainly IH tractors that were re-badged and re-powered by either cummins or Perkins with case tin. The funny part of it all was the fact that Case IH used IH's 18speed power-shift and it made JD scramble for their 19speed to say they had the leg up on them. Too bad the 19speed shifted like crap and the 18speed shifted like silk (and still does in the new McCormicks)

All I know is that I love making all the Deere boys in 5500# farm scratch their heads when I come out with a Farmall 400 and walk all over them without even lifting the front end (no weights at all on the tractor). I will always bleed red and our team will always find ways to get a red tractor into a class that no one will touch because there are too many Deeres...

Now, sorry for the long post and back to the topic at hand.....

Yes Ford did at one time have one heck of an inline six, so they do have experience with building a diesel engine. That means they can build a good strong engine, but they still have to meet those pesky emissions just like every body else. That being said I have to point out that it is the emissions systems on these trucks that are giving Ford troubles so we have to keep an eye on our own trucks because it could just as easily happen to a Dodge or Chevy/GMC....

Navistar still makes good products and is actually being trusted by our military to design the next generation of wheeled vehicles for our troops since the HMMWV is seriously outdated and underpowered. I also know that the Marine Corps trusts alot of their severe duty trucks for a variety of applications including fire trucks and ammo trucks on Camp Pendleton (I am former Infantry) and they are very pleased with performance/reliability. But, Ford IS a big part of Navistar's business and it will be a very painful divorce. The only hope of some refuge for the thousands of Navistar workers will be the thousands of additional workers that will be needed at Ford to make their new engine.

Two points:
1st-the 5500 international you have isnt stock. You are talking modified tractors. Kind of like how our cummins can walk over a bigger 7.3 motor. Stock they are close.
2nd-this will not hurt ford one bit. Look how crappy those 6.0's are and ford still sells more trucks. Why? People have blinders. I had a ford and had bad experience and purchased dodge. Glad I did. Most people just like ford products and think they are the best and buy ford no matter what. That 6.0 was the worst motor ford came out with. They still outsell chevy and dodge 2-1. Doesnt mean they are better. Just that people bleed blue. Let them. I think it all is kind of humerous. I know my dodge wont do that.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:14 PM

New Furd flamethrower option! 6.4's new problems

Check this out!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=321LwkM7i90
Old 03-28-2007, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's more about Ford's "Roman candle impression", complete with video!

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-07-01.php
Old 03-28-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ridofpwrstroke
Two points:
1st-the 5500 international you have isn't stock. You are talking modified tractors. Kind of like how our cummins can walk over a bigger 7.3 motor. Stock they are close.
Actually my tractor IS stock and it is has been made the standard of the class (if you can beat it you aren't stock). We run a VERY reputable shop and everyone knows that all I did was put in an overbore kit, shave the warped head (it's only 9.5:1) and have the cam worked over... It turns 1600rpm and makes 48hp at rated then the cam makes it lug to 72hp at 1350rpm... The reason I go out and whoop up on everyone is not power; it's the fact that I know how to get it to the ground and I have a TA so I can shift on the fly and no one else can............ I actually use this tractor to bale hay since it is so efficient at the lower rpms since our bailer is temperamental about running fast on the PTO speeds.

The reason I love beating everyone is the fact that I have a grand total of $1300 in the tractor whereas most of the guys I pull against have that much money in head-work alone

I never said anything about the 7.3; I actually like the 7.3's we had a few, but the 5.9's always walked away from them in the mountains because of the better torque....
Old 03-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Allison is for sale. But the Allison is not bullet proof either. It has it's share of problems. Besides, the tranny is the least of Ford's problems.

Quick Reply: All Ford 6.4 tailpipe flames discussion goes here