General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

All Ford 6.4 tailpipe flames discussion goes here

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bleed red too, theIntlEggrole. Most of my info is books with some stories from farmers around here. Sorry I stepped on your toes
Old 03-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselJon
I bleed red too, theIntlEggrole. Most of my info is books with some stories from farmers around here. Sorry I stepped on your toes
Naw bud, you didn't step on my toes. When someones right they're right. We've had mostly IH equipment since 1947 when my granddad bought a Farmall H, we've had John Deere's on and off along the way. But all of that is true about IH they screwed up, and in 1984 lost it all but the trucks and engines. And I see that same story playing out for the Blue Oval as it did for the Red and Black back then.

Ed
Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 PM

All I can say is MAN, the resale price of my Cummins Powered Truck just went up a whole lot!!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Chapter President

I guess you could say "fire in the hole" with the 6.4's during regeneration. I wonder if Ford cancels all orders from Navistar if they will still honor the warranty for the 6.4s (or even the 6.0s)
A Blue Oval HD diesel, rushed into production for the 2009 (I bet)(And I bet the 2009s won't be out until almost 2009 this time) Super Dutys. This will be an interesting story.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by truckjunkie
That comment in the article about the Volvo engines was interesting.... Why not look in house first? I agree I wouldn't want to be the first to drive a Ford designed diesel though....
Ford did have there own diesel engines at on time. It was an inline 6, I think it was 7.6 liters. and one tough EDIT. I know of one that had 1.3 million on it when i drove it, with new crank & rod bearings at 900K. To me thats pretty reliable. especially for an L7000 feed truck.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sad news for Ford Motor Company and International Employees...Everybody knows it always hits the working man first so the big wigs don't lose any bonus dollars.

I hope Ford gets on track soon, I worry most about jobs here than anything else. Lots of Americans affected when a corporation like this takes a big hit.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by DynoDynamicsNE
I don't know about in the past, but currently, DC doesn't own Volvo Trucks. Here is a link to DC's truck group.
Absolutely, Positively Not True. Never. Akin to Ford owning Cummins.

Volvo Group current holdings (but not limited to)
Volvo Truck
Mack Truck
Renault Truck
Volvo Bus
Nissan Diesel
Prevost Bus & Coach
Volvo Construction
Ingersoll Rand Off Road (construction)
Volvo Penta (Marine leisure & commercial propulsion, generators, stand by power)
Volvo Aero
Volvo Powertrain
Financial Services
Volvo Technology
Volvo IT.

The infusion of cash from selling off the car division to Ford several years ago was the instrument behind moving forward with electronic diesels to meet emissions so far ahead of most others. Current Marine & Off road are compliant to 2010 & beyond.
Volvo also has some interest in Deutz, but the level changes so often, I am not sure of todays exact figure.

Cars are still mfg'd in Sweden, with an obvious overwhelming Swedish influence. Perhaps thats why the Volvo car is still an incredible machine, and why some (domestic)Fords seem to have taken on some Swedish influence.
Wouldnt surprise me if the Swede's got fed up & bought the cars back (At a really good price too)
Old 03-27-2007, 07:28 PM

but ford owns Cummins, so they will be alright.

Yes, I know they dont, but a fordmade diesel wouldnt be so bad. Assuming its an inline six, of course.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes Larry the hourly employees are going to be the ones really hurt in this fiasco. I would really like for once to see the ones higher up made to give up or refund their big bonus for their performance or shall we say lack of that are responsible for these disasters.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think that Ford could buy a new diesel engine quicker than they could design and build their own. Even if they made it tomorrow where would the field testing be? That sounds riskier than what they're doing with Navistar now. They need to proposition Detroit or Perkins for a diesel. They both have diesels that are right around the right size and weight. They're a little heavy but a dedicated diesel manufacturer will be able to develop the perfect unit based off what they already have and do it much quicker and more reliably than Ford ever could. Ford would definitley have to come to an agreement about warranty obligations previous to any sale though!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:14 PM

the dodge 6.7 and the cummins industrial 6.7 are 2 different beasts shairing the same displacement.. the industrial isbe 6.7 is a stroked 5.9.. the dodge version is bored & stroked... dodge 6.7 is new for 07. the industrial version has been around for a few years
Old 03-27-2007, 10:21 PM

I don't see why it would be so hard for any company to design a new diesel motor. It's not like they're making something that hasn't been made before and they already know what works and doesn't work.

Lets see ... motor that runs on diesel - Been done for years and years... Computer to control motor - Been done for years.... meet 2010 emissions - Already done by Cummins.

It seems to me, getting a new in house motor built won't be the problem. It's getting it built in time to make sure they get all bugs get worked out during testing.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:49 AM

Here is the Volvo D6 . up to 435 hp and 993 Nm at 2000 rpm. can be had in verisions from 310 hp.
Its got a very good reputation in the boats.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/uk/e...006/d6-435.htm
Old 03-28-2007, 03:45 AM

More detail HERE about it.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:00 AM

Ford buys Dodge and they produce a new truck called a FORDGE.
Cummins engine, Ford truck.

JS

Quick Reply: All Ford 6.4 tailpipe flames discussion goes here