General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

3rd gen guy needs advice from all you 2nd gen guys...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen guy needs advice from all you 2nd gen guys...

So ive decided to trade my 06 in on a 2nd gen, I havent done it yet but its going to happen within the next few weeks hopefully. Being a 3rd gen guy, im not exactly up and up on the 2nd gen trucks. So im asking the advice of you hardcore 2nd gen'rs as what to look for in a 2nd gen truck. I originally wanted a 12v but my dealer is having trouble finding me one that is built to my specs. He does have a 97 single cab 12v but its an automatic and I really want a stick...moreso because im scared of having problems with an auto.(truck has 113,xxx) He also has a 99 (I believe) with a 5 spd ext cab 3500 dually. (trucks got bout 188,xxx)

If yall could give me some advice on what I need to look for in a 2nd gen it'd be appreciated. Also, he's asking 13K for the 12v and 17K for the 24v, does that seem like a fair price?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:34 AM

i dont know where your located but i'm guessing the states so i won't comment on pricing but just myself personally i like the 24v with the 6spd manual.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:54 AM

those prices are pretty high with that kind of mileage. dig around and see if the trucks have been modified or not.. do you plan on pulling?? or just daily driving... what is the origin of the trucks? You should be able to get a free carfax on them from that dealer. look at the history. especially the major maintenance history if any...
Old 07-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

why are you getting rid of your 06 for?

brett
Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't be scared of a auto, if u put alittle money into the trans u'll really enjoy the truck. I'd personally get a 97-98.4 12v, 3.55 gears, auto or 5spd. 5spd preferred just because it has the 215 pump.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Banned

I would get a 24v and 6 speed is a must(HO engine) dodge automatics to me are just a problem in genral.

Get the service record and make sure it has a good lift pump in it. updated in take if chrysler(not away of much after market)

May start saven for a injection pump (they can leave you stranded) but if you replace lift and injection pump at same time and keep the fuel filter changed It will last you 10 tmes longer than a gen 3

Only other commen problem is app sensor.

I know it sounds bad but you dont want me to get started on a gen 3.

I do not know much about the 12v never had many problems with those they just dont have the power to me That is just my opinion

but i do work on the trucks from front to back day in and day out so i am pritty confident in saying i know which one i would buy
Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Foot Performanc
I would get a 24v and 6 speed is a must(HO engine) dodge automatics to me are just a problem in general.

Get the service record and make sure it has a good lift pump in it. updated in take if chrysler(not away of much after market)

May start saven for a injection pump (they can leave you stranded) but if you replace lift and injection pump at same time and keep the fuel filter changed It will last you 10 tmes longer than a gen 3

Only other commen problem is app sensor.

I know it sounds bad but you dont want me to get started on a gen 3.

I do not know much about the 12v never had many problems with those they just dont have the power to me That is just my opinion

but i do work on the trucks from front to back day in and day out so i am pritty confident in saying i know which one i would buy

All good advice.The HO has its drawbacks tho. You do get the bigger output shaft if you are planning on pulling or beating the crap out of your truck (as i do). Bad part is the IP. They seem to hit the wall at about 500whp. Yes there are those making more but I ended up at 486 and just ran out of fuel up top. You can fix that with the HRVP when the stock one fails (its only about 600ish more). The SO IP can make as much power as the HRVP and more the the stock HO VP...but your input shaft is smaller and seems to be the weak link in the drivetrain.

Good luck on the search.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:39 PM

Thanks for all the help guys!! I will look into carfaxes on them and see where that takes me. Im leaning more toward a 24v with 6spd because of the in cab power on the fly capability. Selling the 06 cause I just dont want the payment anymore.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:00 PM

I think 2002 & 2001.5 are preferred years for the rear disk brakes, amoung other things. They also have a better fuel Filter, easier to change. If you tow heavy, the 6 speed/4.10 combo works extremely well, although the 4.10 will cost some mpg. The HO is better, unless you want to seriously modify.
The big issues with Gen 2's is Lift pump/Injection pump. If you get a Fuel presuure gauge & Vulcan big line kit, it solves most of those issues. You can check the codes on the computer to see if there are issues with those.
I think you can find a mint 2002, low miles for $20-22k. The 3500 HO's also come with a Dana 80 axle.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Chapter President

I wouldn't be scared of any 24 valve, just for the fact of the large knowledge base we have on DTR. All the downfalls of the 24 valve have been well documented and discussed with great detail.

My advice is to be patient, don't rush to buy. Keep any eye on the diesel site's classifieds. I think the classifieds are a great way to buy a truck as most of the problems have probably been addressed vs buying a truck from someone not in the know.

Of all the problems, the 53 block would be on the top my "wat ta look fur" list.

The aftermarket is pretty strong when it comes to upgrades, up rates and fixes.

I wanted a 12 valve when I started looking, but my 99 has treated me well.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 PM

I wouldn't be scared of any 24 valve, just for the fact of the large knowledge base we have on DTR.
That goes for any of these CTDs. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen.....
Old 07-12-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by supr
I think 2002 & 2001.5 are preferred years for the rear disk brakes, amoung other things. They also have a better fuel Filter, easier to change. If you tow heavy, the 6 speed/4.10 combo works extremely well, although the 4.10 will cost some mpg. The HO is better, unless you want to seriously modify.
The big issues with Gen 2's is Lift pump/Injection pump. If you get a Fuel presuure gauge & Vulcan big line kit, it solves most of those issues. You can check the codes on the computer to see if there are issues with those.
I think you can find a mint 2002, low miles for $20-22k. The 3500 HO's also come with a Dana 80 axle.
All 3500's come with the 80, as does manual tranny equipped 2500s.

One thing to remember about the NV5600 is that they may be strong, but when they go south, they are good and expensive to repair. The NV4500 may have that 5th gear nut issue, but its not gonna gernade your tranny because of it, and they are cheap (by comparison) to repair. Unless you're hauling, I'd personally go with the 5 spd. I find it a bit rediculous to go through 5 gears before I reach 50 km/h when empty.

Take your time when shopping. I rushed into mine, and there are things I wish I had paid more attention to.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by deerefarm06
Thanks for all the help guys!! I will look into carfaxes on them and see where that takes me. Im leaning more toward a 24v with 6spd because of the in cab power on the fly capability. Selling the 06 cause I just dont want the payment anymore.
Check out this site. Many used CTD. http://trucksunlimitedincorp.com/